Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Needing recommendations for buying a 22re head

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2023, 05:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Needing recommendations for buying a 22re head

I need to purchase a new head for my 22re that sits in my 94 truck.
I would like some recommendations for a reputable seller that you had purchased a head from and had good luck with the head.
The following users liked this post:
alabowles (02-02-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 07:21 AM
YT Community Team

Received 906 Likes on 646 Posts
My recommendation would be to get a bare head and transfer your oem camshaft, valves, etc
Lapping your valves to the head doesn't take much time, and all your used oem parts will be of vastly better quality than anything on a new loaded head.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jimkola:
jazz1 (03-05-2023), mi_guy616 (01-21-2023), old87yota (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 06:15 AM

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts
I bought an Enginetech complete cylinder head from RockAuto 5.5 years ago for my 92 pickup with 22RE. It's still working just fine. The head was made in Taiwan. It was a complete head with cam, springs, valves, and etc. ready to bolt on. I did buy a set of Enginetech head bolts, and then used a Toyota head gasket.

Just looked at RockAuto, and the complete cylinder head from Enginetech is not available for your 94. ITM Engine Components complete cylinder head is in stock for $337.79. An Enginetech bare cylinder head is in stock for $185.79.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by careercriminal
I need to purchase a new head for my 22re that sits in my 94 truck.
I would like some recommendations for a reputable seller that you had purchased a head from and had good luck with the head.
I have one brand new OEM still in box

Old 02-02-2023, 06:34 AM
YT Community Team

Toyota didn't sell assembled heads. Short block assemblies, yes. but not heads
Old 02-03-2023, 08:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I bought a stock spec one from LCE in 2019, it looked like it was just a repackaged ITM head like Rock Auto has. Haven’t had any issues with it.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Last May I installed a ported and polished 22RE head with an RV cam from https://sunwestautoinc.com

I have about 6,000 miles on the unit and so far it is doing fine.

Mike

Old 02-12-2023, 09:11 AM
YT Community Team

When someone installs an aftermarket 22R# loaded head AND has problems, the odds on favorite for issues is the camshaft. Most notably the lobes just getting ground down to nothing(rockers aren't terribly happy at this point, either) and sending debris all through the engine.
Now, I've read many theories, and some sound reasonable.
1) The cam material is inferior(soft). Good possibility. I think the rather involved break-in instructions that are recommended with these cheap aftermarket cams reflect this.
2) The springs are stiff. I compared used oem to new aftermarket and the aftermarket springs seemed much stiffer. but I had no accurate way of measuring just how much stiffer.
3) the valve lip on the aftermarket is thicker, along with the washer plater and retainer, making the spring even stiffer. in my case, those individual components were noticeably thicker. I didn't bother to measure by how much. The theory was the thicker pieces decreased the area where the spring goes, increasing the spring tension and increasing the resistance on the rocker. Sounds plausible.

Maybe if you follow the break-in instructions to the letter it tempers the cam.
i dunno. After dealing with one camshaft that got worn to hell in a few hundred miles, sending aluminum and steel debris all through my engine, I opted for installing used oem valves, hardware, and cam.
But, as mentioned, others have installed loaded heads with no issues. Jut be attentive.

Last edited by Jimkola; 02-13-2023 at 06:03 AM.
jazz1 (03-05-2023)
Old 03-05-2023, 07:27 PM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimkola
When someone installs an aftermarket 22R# loaded head AND has problems, the odds on favorite for issues is the camshaft. Most notably the lobes just getting ground down to nothing(rockers aren't terribly happy at this point, either) and sending debris all through the engine.
Now, I've read many theories, and some sound reasonable.
1) The cam material is inferior(soft). Good possibility. I think the rather involved break-in instructions that are recommended with these cheap aftermarket cams reflect this.
2) The springs are stiff. I compared used oem to new aftermarket and the aftermarket springs seemed much stiffer. but I had no accurate way of measuring just how much stiffer.
3) the valve lip on the aftermarket is thicker, along with the washer plater and retainer, making the spring even stiffer. in my case, those individual components were noticeably thicker. I didn't bother to measure by how much. The theory was the thicker pieces decreased the area where the spring goes, increasing the spring tension and increasing the resistance on the rocker. Sounds plausible.

Maybe if you follow the break-in instructions to the letter it tempers the cam.
i dunno. After dealing with one camshaft that got worn to hell in a few hundred miles, sending aluminum and steel debris all through my engine, I opted for installing used oem valves, hardware, and cam.
But, as mentioned, others have installed loaded heads with no issues. Jut be attentive.
That is exactly what happened to my sons camshaft..got ground right down at rear of camshaft. He thought maybe not heat treated. Forget who the seller was. I would have head done by local shop or reputable seller..cheap parts are for poor folks,,and ya know the saying "poor man pay twice"
Jimkola (03-06-2023)