Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Need Help!! with my new 4runner (not making power)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need Help!! with my new 4runner (not making power)

I just picked up a new truck, its an 86 runner, and i am having some problems with it. It starts up and idles fine but will almost stall if you give it any throttle until it warms up a bit. Then it will idle and rev pretty well when not in gear and under load, but when driving the truck lacks power. I searched around on this site and i am pretty sure it is related to the TPS, and the timing, (I dont know if its because the TPS is out of adjustment or broken or if its cause the timing is off because of something related to TPS) I had to change out the hall sensor too, and i just swapped out the whole dizzy from my parts truck so the timing may be a lil off. (it would start up fine but then die and have no spark when it would warm up.) Any ways, the thing that is throwing me off is that i read the when i bridge together the Timing test harness. it should prevent my timing from advancing, but when i bridge it my timing still advances.

I read on here that if the timing was the same with the test harness connected and disconnected that it was the TPS. but it also said that it should be the same in that it does not advance the timing which mine does. So i am sort of confused. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance