Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mystery misfire. Any advice appreciated. Contemplating jumping off cliff...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok, with the radiator filled to the top with the cap left off and the motor running, as the engine starts to heat up the coolant expands and its going to come out of the top of the radiator as shown in your video, that`s normal. if the radiator cap was in place the excess coolant would go into the over flow tank, but with the cap off it comes out of the radiator all over the place.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok so the first part makes sense, as it expands it starts flowing out.

Now what about towards the end of my clip with that big burst of coolant/bubbles? Is that just bubbles in the system? I think my friend said he has some of the chemical that will see if there is exhaust gas in the coolant.

I forgot to mention that the coolant smells like gasoline, which doesn't make much sense to me....
Old 09-23-2010, 07:44 PM

The coolant shouldn`t smell like gasoline at all, that`s not good, it should have a sweet smell to it only. If you leave the cap off the radiator while its running do you see bubbles coming out of the radiator ?.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah I know that smell... I'm wondering if that head gasket sealer might have a gasoline smell to it. I'm almost wondering if that a-hole put it in before he sold me the truck, and its slowly gotten worse. I'll tell you what, the truck has been driving worse and worse every day since I bought it it seems.

To be honest, if I leave the cap off, it does exactly what I showed in the video. I'll double check tomorrow and have it heat up with the cap off, and see. I have had a heck of a time just trying to burp it since I have done some work on the throttle body and such. I just never remembering ever having a truck that was this hard to burp air out of. :/

Myyota thank you so much for your continued help, all these things have been new to me. Each engine sure has its own little quirks.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:32 PM

Myyota thank you so much for your continued help, all these things have been new to me. Each engine sure has its own little quirks. [/QUOTE]

No problem, were all here to help each other. We will get your problem figured out, its just a matter of time. Just don`t give up on it.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
I really don't know much about the sealant products people sometimes use (as I don't use them, myself) or of any real effective way to get it out. I do know of the problems they can cause particularly in regards to fouling water jackets, screwing with the cooling system and proper EFI/temp relationship. Were it me, I think I'd have to break down and rebuild so the motor isn't, hopefully, completely destroyed.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by thook
I really don't know much about the sealant products people sometimes use (as I don't use them, myself) or of any real effective way to get it out. I do know of the problems they can cause particularly in regards to fouling water jackets, screwing with the cooling system and proper EFI/temp relationship. Were it me, I think I'd have to break down and rebuild so the motor isn't, hopefully, completely destroyed.
Ive seen pictures of that sealant crap actually seal close (or almost seal closed) the water jacket holes in the head gasket. so that stuff should never be used unless its an extreme emergency.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:13 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
As far as I'm concerned, that would have to be one extreme emergency. Geez....
Old 09-24-2010, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by BajaRunner
Im not sure whats going on but I am overheating only in traffic.

I can drive 3000 RPM for 20 minutes on the highway no problem. The gauge stays steady at 1/2 on the gauge. As soon as I start driving in traffic, stop and go stuff, and the ram air on the radiator is absent the gauge starts climbing close to the RED. This has only happened two times (Tuesday and today).

I have an electric fan and it will come on but only for a few seconds. The thermocouple for the fan is a proble that sticks in the radiator fins.

The radiator and waterpump are new. I am sure the radiator is most likely a cheap one from the previous owner. What should I DO?
If you're only overheating in traffic, you don't have enough fan. (& you need MORE COWBELL~), pure & simple.

If you had a blown head gasket, it would overheat POSTE HASTE at highway speeds.

The video may be simply showing your lack of sufficient airflow (fan) through the radiator.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by myyota
Ive seen pictures of that sealant crap actually seal close (or almost seal closed) the water jacket holes in the head gasket. so that stuff should never be used unless its an extreme emergency.
That is interesting. Now, what is the possibility that this stuff has clogged my water jackets, causing enough back pressure to build, and have crappy coolant flow. It seems as if I hold my hand over the radiator cap hole, I can get the fluid to continue flowing.

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
If you're only overheating in traffic, you don't have enough fan. (& you need MORE COWBELL~), pure & simple.

If you had a blown head gasket, it would overheat POSTE HASTE at highway speeds.

The video may be simply showing your lack of sufficient airflow (fan) through the radiator.
Interesting. I almost feel that the coolant is not flowing sufficient, as the coolant in the block gets heated up from lack of flow, it bursts out like what was seen in the video.

What you guys think?

Anyways, regardless I'll pull the head and check the water jackets. I am also going to pull the thermostat, and try my best to clean the coolant system which I feel is definitely clogged. I mean, just look at my IACV.

I am going to go to NAPA and try some of the prestone coolant system cleaner just in case. Are there any tried and true products for this?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:29 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
If you had passages blocked off in the head, it would cause localized overheating of the head, but I'm doubting it would overheat the entire system. I can tell you from experience that using the sealant WILL clog your radiator, badly. All your symptoms are indicative of a radiator issue, or POSSIBLY bad water pump. I'm siding with the radiator issue.

Before you yank the heads, I'd make sure the water pump turning properly, and I'd pull the radiator & have it checked. Both easier than pulling apart the engine.

i didn't notice; are we talking 22re or 3vze?
Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That last video looks normal to me. As the thermostat opens that is what happens. BUT if you let it warm up to normal temp and it builds pressure and blows out but still at operating temp then you have a bad HG. If it gets hot then you have a bad rad/fan clutch. Just my 2cents.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

This is a 22re. I have mentioned a few times that the PO had just replaced the water pump, radiator, hoses, thermostat, radiator cap, etc in July of this year.

My timeline of what the guy did (I think):
Last year blew a head gasket, used sealant crap, realized that didn't work, got new head put on in August of last year, started overheating after clogged radiator, put in new coolant system stuff, sold to me.

Yes I will be pulling the radiator off today and playing around. The thing is that I still need to replace the head gasket if I am changing the cam and rocker arms. Another check I need to make sure that the head is not warped or damaged.

Another question: With my headers, do the stock exhaust manifold gaskets work?

Basically I have two issues here, I know this thread is long.
1) Misfire/Lack of power (Cam issue from improper brake in, inacquaate lubrication, or something)
2) Coolant system weirdness. (Just started to try and overheat this week for first time).

Last edited by BajaRunner; 09-24-2010 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Flash319
That last video looks normal to me. As the thermostat opens that is what happens. BUT if you let it warm up to normal temp and it builds pressure and blows out but still at operating temp then you have a bad HG. If it gets hot then you have a bad rad/fan clutch. Just my 2cents.
Thanks Flash, I'll try and see what happens with hot and cold engine, and I'll try and get some more video's up today for viewing pleasure.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yea the radiator burping like that seem normal when you fill it up that full. I usually keep the coolant in between the top of the coils and the round opening so you can see it flow and easier to burp. also if you drive the truck up on ramps it will help burp the system...I had that red stuff in one of my trucks once a good radiator flush will help...I will post up if anything else we do helps on our truck
Old 09-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

Hey I haven't actually started yet, but my main concern about getting the cam back into position would be the timing chain tensioner not allowing me to pull the gear back onto the cam. Any words of advice?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Contributing Member

So I pulled the thermostat out, drained coolant filled with water and rad cleaner.

This is warmed up. Flow seems MUCH better with out the thermostat in. (Lets make sure i Have in in correct, with the spring DOWN?).

Now whats up with the bubbles? HG?
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
YES.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

Are you sure?

Well I'm going to start pulling the head... I am going to see if its posisble to get the headers off... The headers are welded all the way to the pipe, No bolt flanges. Hopefully I can move them outta the way.

Also do you guys just leave the lower intake plenum on when you pull it right? FSM says so.

Last edited by BajaRunner; 09-24-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:51 PM

You can remove the upper intake if you want to, but once the head is removed you will need to remove the lower part of the intake.

Quick Reply: Mystery misfire. Any advice appreciated. Contemplating jumping off cliff...