Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mysterious engine squeal

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by b.miller123
do you think it might be your power steering pump?
I replaced mine a while ago just because it was making noises, there was always a constant whirrr to it, but if it was even remotely cold outside in the morning it would sound 10x louder, I just eventually got tired of not being able to hear the people at the tacobell drive through I think the previous owner probably put PS fluid into it instead of ATF

Anyways, before I pulled the pump off, I was soaking the nut and the shaft [insert funny comment here] with wd-40 so I could get the pulley off [insert second funny comment here] and low and behold, after the wd-40 soaked in a little bit, the squealing went away (for a few days)

just a thought..... takes a few seconds to spray it at night and check in the morning, and you wont have to remove anything, if this doesn't work, remove the pulleys one at a time like stated above

Hmm, I will do that tomorrow

my power steering pump makes that constant noise, its leaking aswell, has been for a LOOONG time. Pump was run dry a few times. Has power steering fluid in it now too!!

Perhaps I will break down and get a new one...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are a couple ways to do the pump, you can rebuild it, which is cheaper (the kits are like $30-$40) and apperently isn't hard at all, or just get one from the autoparts store. I got a rebuilt one from autozone (i think it was about $90 after I got my core charge back) some people don't like getting the rebuilt ones like that, and prefer to get "oem" ones from the dealership, but I don't know what kind of warranty they have (mine has a lifetime) and they cost waaaaay too much, the rebuilt one was probably the same exact one the dealership will give you, but it's rebuilt

I was lucky, and the pulley came right off with mine, but apperently that is the biggest pain with changing these out, the nut on mine was all messed up (i think the previous owner tried to take the pully off and couldn't loosen the nut, probably did it right after he filled it up with PS fluid) so I had to put vice grips on the back of the pulley and use a deep socket and a cheater bar, once you get the nut off, the easiest way to get the pulley off is to wedge the "open" end of a large wrench (like 19mm) in between the body of the pump and the pulley, and the tap (ie. wack) the other end of the wrech with the hammer.

some people pull the fan and the shroud and some even pull the radiator, but I didn't have to do any of that, just follow the steps (kind of, i don't think that whacking the wrench with a hammer was in there) in the FSM and it's pretty easy
Old 11-01-2007, 09:48 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks I will find out the price on a ps pump.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Thanks I will find out the price on a ps pump.
I think it was about $190 after tax and all that, and you get like $80 back (that was at autozone, not sure what the difference will be up north)

one other note, they use copper crush washers on the pressure line out of the pump, and my pump came with new ones, but they were the wrong size, one of those things that you can't tell until your truck is torn apart in the driveway and you can't get to the parts store. I wound up reusing mine and no problems yet (it's been about a month or so) and as you know, use ATF not PS fluid, apparently PS fluid kills the seals incredibly quick (probably leads to the squealing noise)
Old 11-01-2007, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

I cept thinking my ps pump was leaking onto one of my belts causing the noise...
Old 11-01-2007, 10:12 PM

that could be happening, but it seems unlikely due to where everything is layed out on the engine, but take a good look at the Ps belt, if it looks a little too shiney, there's your problem