Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My solution to vacuum switching valves (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, I could do that. That is another option. As far as needing that many options, if it's there, and easy to do, why not have the flexibility to? Why put an ARB locker in the front? Why would you want to unlock the front differential while in 4WD? Why not just a Lock Rite?
Although with a locker in an ADD front end, even with the axles unlocked from one another you would still have power put to the passenger side axle. That might strain that axle and CV joint too much. I haven't done this, and might not, but it's seems like it would work.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dutchboy
To all the haters....walk in my shoes. My Yota is a moving scrap yard. 240k and rotted to the core. Every turn of the key you can hear the theme song from Sanford & Son.
If you don't like how my valves look...
With "fixes" like that, do I need to state the obvious?

(Are you the guy from S&S Aqua Logging?)

"I know where Jimmy keeps the spare key to his 4runner.. in the spare tire carrier.. you can see it hanging there when he opens it. Also.. it has no back window.. so you can just crawl through after you get the key.. Just an FYI if anyone wants that sweet ride.."

"Did you see the 4 Runner he was driving? It looked like it had been rolled at least once! Then he puts an 8' log in it and "jerry" rigs it in there, goes right by a cop and keeps right on going! He is a definate goofball!"

Originally Posted by zooki
Yea, I could do that. That is another option. As far as needing that many options, if it's there, and easy to do, why not have the flexibility to? Why put an ARB locker in the front? Why would you want to unlock the front differential while in 4WD? Why not just a Lock Rite?
Although with a locker in an ADD front end, even with the axles unlocked from one another you would still have power put to the passenger side axle. That might strain that axle and CV joint too much. I haven't done this, and might not, but it's seems like it would work.

What? What are you trying to say? Put a full-time locker in a steer axle?

Yeah, that's a good idea... Wish I'da thought of that...

The MAIN reason you don't put lockers in part-time 4WD front ends (IMO anyway) is in case of a shaft failure. The front axle can be isolated by unlocking the hubs (and returning to 2H) and the broke axle/joint side will stop spinning allowing you to limp home without bind, and further breakage.

IMO, loss of steering control in 4WD is secondary.

Full Time or "AWD" is b/c there is torque on the front axle at all times. And if it (the pocket LOCKER) locks you can turn the wheels and it won't matter, it'll track straight... I.e, NO steering control.

Rear axles "trail" and don't have joints that weaken the more they're angled... And they don't "lead the way" like steer axles.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-06-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<quote>
"The MAIN reason you don't put lockers in part-time 4WD front ends (IMO anyway) is in case of a shaft failure"

So I should never put a locker in the front axle of a 4X4, or am I missing something here? No one on this forum has a full time locker in the front axle of their rig? Don't some factory vehicles(i.e Rubicon, Hummer H2 & H3, Dodge Powerwagon) come with selectable lockers for the front axle?

Maybe I wasn't being clear. I am talking about doing this to an ADD axle that has been converted to manual hubs already. Rather than lock the axle collar with a hose clamp, why not make it where you can manually engage/disengage the axles from one another when a locking differential in installed? I'm talking off road use only here. For highway use, the manual hubs would be unlocked, and the axle collar would be disengaged, and the T-case in 2WD. Would there be a problem steering then? It just seems that leaving an open differential in the front end is almost useless for off-roading.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, it may not be that usefull for some to have an open front diff, but I wouldn't disengage the collar while 4wd is engaged. Like you said, that will put a lot of stress on one axle shaft. Basically you are trying to create a pushbutton (at anytime) 4wd system in a rig that wasn't designed for one, and you want to do that with a locked front diff? Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:14 AM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
<quote>
"The MAIN reason you don't put lockers in part-time 4WD front ends (IMO anyway) is in case of a shaft failure"

So I should never put a locker in the front axle of a 4X4, or am I missing something here? No one on this forum has a full time locker in the front axle of their rig? Don't some factory vehicles(i.e Rubicon, Hummer H2 & H3, Dodge Powerwagon) come with selectable lockers for the front axle?

Answered your own question...

"Selectable" in no way implies a full-time unit.

And no, unlocking a shaft with a full-time locker in it does NOT make it a selectable.

It makes the opposite shaft get 100% engine torque, and the other dead, no matter which way the wheel is turned or the torque split is b/c of the terrain's surface. There is NO MORE torque splitting from the diff, and the wheel with the LEAST amount of traction no longer gets the power...

That's a dang good way to pop a joint and get yourself stranded.

All for a poor-mans selectable... "Poor man's" is right. As-in, "that poor man's back there in the woods somewhere b/c his 4WD is broke"

Maybe I wasn't being clear. I am talking about doing this to an ADD axle that has been converted to manual hubs already. Rather than lock the axle collar with a hose clamp, why not make it where you can manually engage/disengage the axles from one another when a locking differential in installed? I'm talking off road use only here. For highway use, the manual hubs would be unlocked, and the axle collar would be disengaged, and the T-case in 2WD. Would there be a problem steering then? It just seems that leaving an open differential in the front end is almost useless for off-roading.
Above.

And here's your answer... "selectable's" or "lockers" are not in the shaft, they're inside the diff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z257wwbPC70

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IqHi...eature=related

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 02-13-2011 at 11:22 AM.