Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My holy 3.0 I guess this changes everything

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kick azz bro!!!

Originally Posted by phildelfino
Thanks for the tip I went to rancho today and everyone was closed or didnt have an 3.0 instock. I am going to go check these guys out. Thanks again
Old 01-10-2009, 09:15 PM

I got the toyota diesel when jarco was still importing them. They can't now due to customs or the epa or something. Emissions isn't the problem everyone thinks it is. I just went to the tag office and told them I had swapped a diesel motor out of a newer truck in and would like that reflected on my tittle. 1 week later I have a tittle saying that it is a 4cy diesel instead of a 6cy gas. Now that was GA, but I know of guys that have done the same thing in CALIFORNIA!!!!! and the only thing different was they had a one time emission inspection for the diesel and after that they were emission exempt.

All that being said, a 3.4 would be cheaper, probably easier, and you can easily get the 5spd with a 3.4, I'm stuck with an auto!
Old 01-10-2009, 10:33 PM

If the blocks holy you can only drive it to church on sundays.....
Old 01-11-2009, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by 91diesel
I got the toyota diesel when jarco was still importing them. They can't now due to customs or the epa or something. Emissions isn't the problem everyone thinks it is. I just went to the tag office and told them I had swapped a diesel motor out of a newer truck in and would like that reflected on my tittle. 1 week later I have a tittle saying that it is a 4cy diesel instead of a 6cy gas. Now that was GA, but I know of guys that have done the same thing in CALIFORNIA!!!!! and the only thing different was they had a one time emission inspection for the diesel and after that they were emission exempt.

All that being said, a 3.4 would be cheaper, probably easier, and you can easily get the 5spd with a 3.4, I'm stuck with an auto!
hey 91FREERUNNER just curious does that 4cyl diesel you got have a lot of power and good mileage? I got to wait till tomorrow for rancho toy truck to open so i can see if they got an 3.0 or a 3.4 with 5 speed tranny. then i will decide which way to go would best fit my needs. I am basically in need of a truck that I can tow a few winter n summer toys with and run to home depot for my other projects. Why in ther world are salvage yards closed on weekends when that is when most people are doing there projects?

Last edited by millwrightbrian; 01-11-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 AM

yes, the 4cy diesel (and an auto to boot) is quicker than the v6/5spd combo. I do alot of city/military base driving and get 23mpg. On the highway once I averaged 27mpg and am trying to repeat that. (I have a problem of tweaking a few things at once and they don't always work out). I am also going to regear from my 4.10 to 3.73 (with 32" tires). With the v6 I had 4.56 gears with these tires. The problem with this toyota diesel is finding one now that they don't import them. There are still a few here and there, but none of these places had the reputation that jarco did, and when your talking $4k and having to wait to order parts for it, that makes a huge difference. Also if you find one remember that without the computer, harness, and transmission it is pretty much useless. The easiest/cheapest route would be the 3.4, unless you are just really a diesel person, that's my problem!
Old 01-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Just as I said that........over on toyotadiesel.com........
http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5870

a 1kz complete, like what I bought, from jarco....if you really want to do a toyota diesel, this is the only way I'd feel comfortable with.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:32 PM

wow thats a good deal

Originally Posted by 91diesel
Just as I said that........over on toyotadiesel.com........
http://toyotadiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5870

a 1kz complete, like what I bought, from jarco....if you really want to do a toyota diesel, this is the only way I'd feel comfortable with.
but I think if I do anything other then 3.0 replacement I am going to do the 3.4 swap. that diesel looks like awesome kit but out of my budget for the truck. I would love to have a diesel but cant afford it right now with the way things are going.

Last edited by millwrightbrian; 01-11-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're looking at doing the 3.4 swap and a tranny swap at the same time, you might be biting off more than you want to chew on. I believe that your auto and transfer case are not detachable from one another and it won't bolt up to a 5 speed. If you get a transmission and transfer case from at 3.4, the transfer case outputs the front driveshaft on the driver's side, not the passenger side.

Bolting it to your auto is probably the easiest way to go.

If anyone can shed light on the auto/transfer case compatibility, chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:56 PM

thanks robd

Originally Posted by RobD
If you're looking at doing the 3.4 swap and a tranny swap at the same time, you might be biting off more than you want to chew on. I believe that your auto and transfer case are not detachable from one another and it won't bolt up to a 5 speed. If you get a transmission and transfer case from at 3.4, the transfer case outputs the front driveshaft on the driver's side, not the passenger side.

Bolting it to your auto is probably the easiest way to go.

If anyone can shed light on the auto/transfer case compatibility, chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.
Thanks for the info, so I can bolt a new 3.4 right to my current transmission? Tomorrow is wrecking yard tour day I am going to see what I come up with. At least I know what not to get now..
Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 AM

yes, but if he replaced the tranny with a 5spd now............and he can get one of those for his right side drop set up.
Old 01-12-2009, 12:55 PM

phildelfino thanks for refering me to rancho toy truck I got a great deal.
Robd & 91diesel thanks for help with pointing me towards doing a 3.4 swap. please continue to help here is new link and thanks again to everyone. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...pgrade-164099/

I will be posting pictures, prices, and everything it takes for me to do my swap.

Last edited by millwrightbrian; 01-12-2009 at 01:03 PM.