Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

My First Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 05:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by poynter

This morning the truck warmed up fine as I was loading, but once I got on the highway the temp gauge buried itself in the cold... I think the thermostat must be stuck open... I might throw some cardboard in front of the radiator on the way home I know it cant be good for it. Unless its just the gauge but that seems to working fine.
My 86 does the same thing. The temp gauge will move slowly into the warm area as it warms up and as soon as I get rolling it drops back down, a few miles later it's back up to warm. I think others on here have had the same problem.

Nice truck by the way, you're going to really enjoy that extended cab even though you really can't put a lot back there. I've got my recovery bag sitting on that little shelf behind the seats. Oh and a camper is a great idea. I've got one for mine and have set it up for sleeping in when I go camping. That and it comes off in about 2 minutes if I have someone to help me lift it.

Keep us updated on the addiction..... I mean progress.
Old 11-26-2008, 05:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to trade! i just rebuild my whole darn truck and id rather have yours!!!!!!!!!! this is crap. haha youll find out i talk more crap than anyone on here! WELCOME... I already dont like you. In a good way tho. haha
Old 11-26-2008, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
My 86 does the same thing. The temp gauge will move slowly into the warm area as it warms up and as soon as I get rolling it drops back down, a few miles later it's back up to warm. I think others on here have had the same problem.

Nice truck by the way, you're going to really enjoy that extended cab even though you really can't put a lot back there. I've got my recovery bag sitting on that little shelf behind the seats. Oh and a camper is a great idea. I've got one for mine and have set it up for sleeping in when I go camping. That and it comes off in about 2 minutes if I have someone to help me lift it.

Keep us updated on the addiction..... I mean progress.
Mine doesn't go back up to warm till I stop and let it idle for +5 minutes
I drive 25 miles to work and it was cold the whole way, enough to where the heater was barely kicking any warm air.

I had to have the extended cab for my 4 yr old son, He loves how the windows are lower and he can see out. He wants to go riding in the truck all the time now. I have to have a camper top. It took me 10-20 minutes to load and ratchet everything down (10-12 boxes) in the bed this morning and it would have been so much better to just throw it back there and go.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:48 AM
Contributing Member

if you are handy at all with wrenches, take the 'stat out and check to see if its working. you can boil a pot of water and drop the 'stat in to see if it opens. use tongs to remove it to check if it closes.

check over all related hoses for you cooling system, including the ones located on the engine bay firewall for the heater core. you could try backflushing the h/c to see if that makes any difference. search around on here, there are plenty of posts on how to troubleshoot and repair.

maybe shoot deathcougar a pm and see what he suggests.

lee
Old 11-26-2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by leebee
if you are handy at all with wrenches, take the 'stat out and check to see if its working. you can boil a pot of water and drop the 'stat in to see if it opens. use tongs to remove it to check if it closes.

check over all related hoses for you cooling system, including the ones located on the engine bay firewall for the heater core. you could try backflushing the h/c to see if that makes any difference. search around on here, there are plenty of posts on how to troubleshoot and repair.

maybe shoot deathcougar a pm and see what he suggests.

lee
thanks, I'm just going to pick up a new tstat today and change it out friday morning and go from there.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 AM

Keep your eyes peeled on craigslist for a camper top. I scored mine on there for $100.

With all the toyota recalls being done people are parting out what they can before turning them in.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:04 AM

Changed out the tstat and it heats up fine and stays right below halfway on the temp gauge. The heater now melts your face off as well.

Yesterday it stalled on me though and I popped the clutch rolling into a parking lot and it ran for a sec and died. Went into the store and when I came back out it ran fine and then stalls out now everytime I try to let it idle after it warms up.
I have a fuel filter Ill be putting on and a can of seafoam so hopefully that helps.

Whenever I let off the accelerator I hear a clicking sound from the passenger footwell area... is this normal? Almost like a switch is being flipped whenever you apply or let off the accelerator.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great. Man this makes me miss my 89 extra cab 22r 5sp. But im happy with my 82.