Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Muffler Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 07:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Muffler Replacement?

Hey guys -

I noticed some rusted out holes in my muffler while under the car. I pressurized the system with a blower through the tail pipe and found quite a few leaks coming out of the muffler because of this. Does anyone know what the correct muffler is for a 1991 2wd base Pickup with California emissions? I'm finding stuff on RockAuto and such, but a lot of them won't ship to CA.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2020, 01:41 AM

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts
Did they say they SPECIFICALLY would not ship the part to a California address? If so I would fine that very odd, as there is a very large "off road" market that can legally use parts that are not California CARB certified. Also, I did a little research and I can find no law or rule saying that mufflers have to have a CARB EO (Executive Order) number or certification. It appears that the rules on mufflers only concern whether or not it is present as a "stock" or "replacement part" device, overall condition & sound levels measured. I can find no information saying that mufflers require EO numbers or certification. Certainly if the tech sees the holes in it they could certainly fail you on a visual inspection. Those holes could draw in extra fresh air & give you too high an oxygen reading at the tailpipe, which would also fail the vehicle.

Just to be sure, and if it were me, I'd check out any reputable exhaust repair shop that does good work and ask them. They can't afford to charge customers money for exhaust parts replacement work that is only going to fail smog testing.

The Walker mufflers you are finding on Rock Auto should be a good choice. The Bosal parts are good quality too. The "round" mufflers shown look just like what I have on my '78 and they aren't loud. Of course if you wanted to go with Toyota OEM, here's a link for those parts:

https://www.toyotapartsdeal.com/part...html?PNC=17430

I looked those up assuming you have a base model with the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder, shouldn't matter of it's carburetor or EFI, the exhaust system is the same for both. There are a few marked "CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS" but frankly they look just like the "Federal Emissions" ones, and I don't think the smog tech would even noticed or much care. As long as it looks in good condition it will pass visual.

If you replace it yourself don't forget to get some new flange gaskets to seal it up!
Old 02-04-2020, 07:40 AM
YT Community Team

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts
When I got the 87 4Runner the exhaust system was in horrendous shape. It looked like the stuff left over in the cave where Tony Stark built his first suit. I knew I wanted to replace it with a bolt together system so if I ever needed to remove part of it I could do it myself.
So I got a Bosal header, Magnaflow cat, and a Walker muffler. All bolt together. The header and muffler have been great. Pretty quiet and easy to work with when I dropped the transmission. And I can use OEM gaskets.
The Magnaflow is another story. I’ll let it go at that. I’m in a good mood today and don’t want to ruin it.