Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

mud got me grounded.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why don't you guys get some heavy coro-plast or what whatever you like (plastic sheeting is cheap, easy to cut, etc...) and make some splash guarding around the fender wells, etc... Combine that with the electric fan and you should see an improvement. Less mud in the engine bay is good. Less throwing around what mud does get in is better.

I wouldn't use metal for the splash guarding, it doesn't need to be that strong.

We build our trucks for rocks or speed, no big deal building it correctly for mud if that's your thing.

Frank
Old 10-02-2007, 11:40 AM
tc
Contributing Member

I really doubt that the 22RE can't be upgraded. My 3VZE alternator is the "small case" one - that's why Boyle "only" got what he did. He said he was hoping it was one of the large case ones. The 22RE one can't be much smaller (I would doubt it's any different actually)

Call Boyle and discuss it with him - he has great customer service, and I'm sure he will be able to tell you whether he can or not.

Last edited by tc; 10-02-2007 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
first off, im sure you could have said the whole mud build hting a little nicer. saying that since its just mud it doesnt need to be built correctly is stupid and inconsiderate. htat would be like me saying, well since u just rock crawl you dont need a nice looking truck, so just buy an old junker with a bunch of rust. srsly, be considerate when you speak.

now, as far as mud mods go, let me see where we stand. the basic things that would seem to make the most difference seem to be thus

-electric fan
-fender coverings into the engine bay
-some sort of covering aronud the alternator that will still allow breathability
-snorkel

anything major missing there? anything that someone else would suggest?

one more thing. i think i kinda made my parents feel bad when i told them that they didnt support my passion, and they have kinda been talking to uncles and such who own trucks or were once into the "off-road thing" my mom came to me and said that she found out there were certain panels and snorkels and such that would help, but that my uncle said the truck still wouldnt last me through college. i personally think that if an '04 tacoma with safety modifications done to protect the engine that got mudded occasionally, cause no, i wont be mudding every weekend or anything, just every once in a while,doesnt last for more than 5 years, something is wrong, and it wasnt the muds fault. any info on how to go about that? any professional mechanics wanna have a sit-down chat with my parents? lol.

thanks much for the input guys.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by dijlop

now, as far as mud mods go, let me see where we stand. the basic things that would seem to make the most difference seem to be thus

-electric fan
-fender coverings into the engine bay
-some sort of covering aronud the alternator that will still allow breathability
-snorkel

anything major missing there? anything that someone else would suggest?

one more thing. i think i kinda made my parents feel bad when i told them that they didnt support my passion, and they have kinda been talking to uncles and such who own trucks or were once into the "off-road thing" my mom came to me and said that she found out there were certain panels and snorkels and such that would help, but that my uncle said the truck still wouldnt last me through college. i personally think that if an '04 tacoma with safety modifications done to protect the engine that got mudded occasionally, cause no, i wont be mudding every weekend or anything, just every once in a while,doesnt last for more than 5 years, something is wrong, and it wasnt the muds fault. any info on how to go about that? any professional mechanics wanna have a sit-down chat with my parents? lol.

thanks much for the input guys.
The main problem I see with making a shield for around the alternator is that it WILL collect mud. Anyplace you create that even looks like it will get packed will get packed full. There goes any airflow for the trip home. Perhaps a loose fitting rubber flap that could be zip tied on for mud runs or something like that, I'm not familiar enough with the way an 04 is setup.
The most important thing isn't going to be anything you can prep for before hand, it's the maintenance that gets done afterwords. Sure it's common sense that waterproofing everything will get you though the hole, but it's the 1000 miles after that where things start to add up.
-Getting the mud out from the inside of the wheels, unless you like to bounce around alot.
-Got drum brakes? good luck getting them to work right after the have been under for any amount of time. Even if you fix them perfectly, it's only as good as the next time you dunk it.
-Repacking wheel bearings
-greasing EVERY Zerk on the vehicle (drive line, front end, etc)
-checking fluids for water (diffs, tranny, t-case, engine oil) and then changing them
-cleanup on outside and interior

You'll find the other things that your truck demands attention for. They will show up, trust me.

As far as it not lasting through college. LOL

I got my 1990 pickup in 98 just before my freshman year. It was headlight deep within the week and has been ever since. It's pretty much all on you as to how you will maintain it. If your up to it, you will learn just what your vehicle needs for what you do. If you just run it and don't maintain it, well even a toyota has it's limits.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:36 PM

im certainly not worried about it not lasting through college. its all the parents. mainly the mother. lol. as far as matienance, i love workin on my truck. the new one is a little bigger with a lot more pieces and parts, but its still a truck, and i do enjoy gettin my hands dirty.

anyways... back on topic. lol. the little stuff i can take care of, the big stuff will certainly hurt my wallet some, but im sure i can handle everything with time and some extra hard work. lol. but on what i said. snorkel, e-fan, underbody plates. maybe some sort of "quick disconect" type thing to bolt on around the alternator for "mud days". seems like theres plenty of nice little spots you could screw on a little piece of metal or something that would be easy to access.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:46 PM

Maybe I didn't make myself clear (if you were responding to me). What I am trying to say, which is more or less in response to those whose solution to the mud "problem" is to avoid the mud, is that building the truck for conditions is a goo idea, they do it, you can/should too. Many of us build for trails, you can build for mud. There's no reason to avoid the mud.

I wouldn't shield the alternator by itself, I'd shield the underside, fender wells, etc.. and keep mud out of the engine bay, not just the alternator.

Frank
Old 10-02-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my friends 2002 taco had the same thing happen. sux that the alternator for that thing is $300 at napa...
Old 10-03-2007, 11:58 AM

yea. lucky for me i didnt hasve to pay anything because it was still under dealership warrenty. however, still broke, and id rather not have it break again, cause im pretty sure mudding isnt covered... they were just nice the first time.

now, as far as sheilding. i agree on sheilding the whole engine bay. the fenders and straight under need some sort of covering that will still let maximum air through, but keep maximum mud out. obviously. however, theres nothing wrong with overprotecting when it comes to a 15 thousand dollar investment. so full engine bay sheilding, along with some sort of covering around the alternator, and then a snorkel. what about the rear diff? should i be running some sort of breather there too? and an e-fan seems to be a must.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:23 PM

With mud, I would definitely run BOTH diff breathers.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:33 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, You might want to swap out your rear diff fluid. Water + Oil = evilness.

I like to get the truck muddy once in a while, you know you have done it right when the tailgate and mirror surfaces have mud on them.

Afterwards, park your rig on the lawn and turn on a sprinkler underneath for a while, it will get a lot of the mud out of there.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by dlbrunner
Afterwards, park your rig on the lawn and turn on a sprinkler underneath for a while, it will get a lot of the mud out of there.
SWEET!! Never thought about that one!

On the alternator subject, try a thin piece of sheet metal with 1" diameter holes in it. The attach some metal porch screen behind the holes, so it still lets air get in, but less mud. BTW, I thought you rolled your truck or something...What's the new ride you have?
Old 10-04-2007, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by hmmwv15
SWEET!! Never thought about that one!

On the alternator subject, try a thin piece of sheet metal with 1" diameter holes in it. The attach some metal porch screen behind the holes, so it still lets air get in, but less mud. BTW, I thought you rolled your truck or something...What's the new ride you have?
hehehe. good call on the porch screen type thing. i like that.

as far as rigs go. lol. i did roll the old one. now im ridin in an '04 prerunner. 3.4L rear e-locker ext cab. its nice. i like it. lol. does well in the mud. especially for a 2wd with street tires. lol.

where have you been? lol
Old 10-08-2007, 02:05 PM

oops, lost track of the treads I was watching.

About the new ride, wicked nice, but why not 4x4? At least it's got a locker!

I have been trying to get monthly trail rides going within my school. Anyone with a 4x4 is welcome. Hell, anyone that wants to go is welcome. But the only problem is I can go on trails that other people break their trucks on. I just try to stick with people that can afford to go which is hard to do. I find it hard to get gas money for ME to go.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:19 PM

Don't know if this has been said yet got tired of reading.

What if you got a pipe that fitted arround the alt and put a fan in it to keep it cool. ill make one and post some pics up for use
Old 10-08-2007, 03:23 PM

and for you hmmwv15 why don't you get some one who knows there way arround a lerner track thingy if you get what i meen. and you can take the bigger guys out if you know what i meen?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:20 PM

maby that wont work but u could mod it to work sorta?
Old 10-09-2007, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by 88-surf
and for you hmmwv15 why don't you get some one who knows there way arround a lerner track thingy if you get what i meen. and you can take the bigger guys out if you know what i meen?
That's exactly what I do. I take everyone on the novice trails first, and gradually progress to more technical trails. The problem is people don't tell me that they haven't ever been wheeling except for that day, and they go ahead and try the trails with more difficulty after seeing how easily I went through them. I agree 100% with your statement.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by AndyL
Heh no - mud / deep water and alternators (especially those that are going) don't mix... No problems since I put in a good rebuilt, but the following pictures define the death of one

Like I said, since I put in the rebuilt (pricey rebuilt, lifetime warranty) haven't had an issue...

hey do u have pics of ur snorkel i was wanting to make mine but i cant find and pics of a 87-88 v6 3.0l
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
isn't it possible to move the alternator to a different location on the engine?
like, suppose you moved it over to the passenger's side and up near the top.
it would be easier to replace.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I used to run side extensions on my front (skid plate), kept swill from flying up the to a dagree. Mud is fun but blows, to hard to get it all out.

Quick Reply: mud got me grounded.