Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Mods that make others go hmmm...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevinInSac
Do you actually spend time in the desert?
absolutely.. its my home away from home... or wait its where my home is
Old 10-12-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
A mmmmm Mod I suppose.
I pulled this old spotlight off of one of our broke down cow trucks. It was crome (and I wanted it satin black) so I used a reverse osmosis trick to remove all the crome. 5 gallon plastic bucket, 3 gallons of water, one cup of Muratic acid, two 1ft 4 gauge strands of copper. Put the water in first!! then the cup of Muratic acid (IF YOU DO IT THE REVERSE IT WILL EXPLODE). Plug in a trickle charger put the black of the jumper cables on the piece your are de-croming and lower it into the water. Then lower the copper strands into the water (leave a bit of copper out of the water) and put the red positive on the end of the copper strand just out of the water. Turn on the trickle charger on 12v, sit back and watch the show!! The crome should come peeling right off and it bubbles and fizzes and everything!!! When it was crome free I sanded it lubed it up and painted it black. ( I hope those instructions are correct, you might have to look it up to be sure. I did that a while back)
I have this spotlight on my PU for spotting cattle. The best way to find lost cattle on a mountain is to either saddle a horse and ride all day till your ass is sore OR drive in your Toyota pickup to a good vantage point in the middle of the night, turn on your favorite Chopin Nocturne (or whatever) turn on the spotlight, sit back and scan the hillsides for red/green eyes. Just make sure you dont have a gun in the truck. In most states a spotlight (on at night) and a gun is a no no.

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-12-2008 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by toyospearo
A mmmmm Mod I suppose.
I pulled this old spotlight off of one of our broke down cow trucks. It was crome (and I wanted it satin black) so I used a reverse osmosis trick to remove all the crome. 5 gallon plastic bucket, 3 gallons of water, one cup of Muratic acid, two 1ft 4 gauge strands of copper. Put the water in first!! then the cup of Muratic acid (IF YOU DO IT THE REVERSE IT WILL EXPLODE). Plug in a trickle charger put the black of the jumper cables on the piece your are de-croming and lower it into the water. Then lower the copper strands into the water (leave a bit of copper out of the water) and put the red positive on the end of the copper strand just out of the water. Turn on the trickle charger on 12v, sit back and watch the show!! The crome should come peeling right off and it bubbles and fizzes and everything!!! When it was crome free I sanded it lubed it up and painted it black. ( I hope those instructions are correct, you might have to look it up to be sure. I did that a while back)
I have this spotlight on my PU for spotting cattle. The best way to find lost cattle on a mountain is to either saddle a horse and ride all day till your ass is sore OR drive in your Toyota pickup to a good vantage point in the middle of the night, turn on your favorite Chopin Nocturne (or whatever) turn on the spotlight, sit back and scan the hillsides for red/green eyes. Just make sure you dont have a gun in the truck. In most states a spotlight (on at night) and a gun is a no no.

i dont know why, but i REALLY want one of those in my truck...
any chance of a write up on how you installed them??

my most worthless mod??? well, not exactly worthless, but sure is irritating at times... it turns down my stereo at inoppritune times, costs me lots and lots of money, always hogs the passenger seat, makes my best friend sit in the back, and never gives me the right directions to where i need to go...

but all in all, its my favorite mod yet...

BTW, the hillbilly is me...
Old 10-12-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kingbrian
absolutely.. its my home away from home... or wait its where my home is
Excellent. I miss the days of caravanning with 5+ motor-homes to the desert. Good memories out there.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:42 PM

I installed a green NEON light under the dash. When someone would open the door to my truck it would glow like a UFO.

Don't know why I did it...I was young. The ladies did like it though.

Last edited by Off-Road Master; 10-12-2008 at 11:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not my car but I installed a "kill switch" in a co-workers Honda Accord. The wire to the starter is going through a relay that is operated by a momentary switch. In this case it's the highbeam switch. You have to pull the stalk back to activate the relay while turning the key to start. A seperate switch is not used because this "mod" uses a factory switch so the car doesn't look like anything was installed. The relay and wiring were installed and taped to look like a factory harness.

You can do this on any Neg. or Pos. momentary switch.

The next weekend someone tried stealing his car and they couldn't get the car started. They really messed up the Ign. cylinder which had to be replaced.
Works very well for about $10.00 in parts.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
...I have this spotlight on my PU for spotting cattle. The best way to find lost cattle on a mountain is to either saddle a horse and ride all day till your ass is sore OR drive in your Toyota pickup to a good vantage point in the middle of the night, turn on your favorite Chopin Nocturne (or whatever) turn on the spotlight, sit back and scan the hillsides for red/green eyes. Just make sure you dont have a gun in the truck. In most states a spotlight (on at night) and a gun is a no no.

Does that handle not get in the way? Does it fold back? Maybe it's just the angle of the pic that makes it look like it's right in yer face.
Very cool trick with the chrome, but how do you dispose of the chemicals afterward?

Last edited by Denk; 10-13-2008 at 04:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by 89dlx
Not my car but I installed a "kill switch" in a co-workers Honda Accord. The wire to the starter is going through a relay that is operated by a momentary switch. In this case it's the highbeam switch. You have to pull the stalk back to activate the relay while turning the key to start. A seperate switch is not used because this "mod" uses a factory switch so the car doesn't look like anything was installed. The relay and wiring were installed and taped to look like a factory harness.

You can do this on any Neg. or Pos. momentary switch.

The next weekend someone tried stealing his car and they couldn't get the car started. They really messed up the Ign. cylinder which had to be replaced.
Works very well for about $10.00 in parts.

Lots of police vehicles have this same idea- several also have a foot switch hidden under the carpet you have to press to get it to switch from park into drive.

I do like the idea of how you set that Honda up.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Denk
Does that handle not get in the way? Does it fold back? Maybe it's just the angle of the pic that makes it look like it's right in yer face.
Very cool trick with the chrome, but how do you dispose of the chemicals afterward?
i think its the camera angle
Old 10-13-2008, 05:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
DELETE.
i posted a kill switch mod but maybe its best not to have my secret floating around on the interwebz

Last edited by algranger; 10-13-2008 at 05:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Denk
Actually it is the angle of the photo. The handle is out of the way. It is roughly 8 inches from the steering wheel and has never got in the way.
As far as disposing of the waste.

DISPOSAL - good question-
I filtered out the crome, put it in a plastic cup and took it to the salvage yard.
The muratic acid - You can use lime to neutralize leftover muriatic acid. Get a large bucket. I prefer 5-gallon size dangerous spattering is minimized in a large bucket. Put three of four cups of lime in the bottom and a gallon of water. Give it a stir with a long disposable wooden stirrer (an old "1x2" is fine). Slowly add the acid to the bucket keeping your face away while pouring (and wearing your respirator). Stir, adding more acid and more lime until all chemical "fizzing" has stopped. The fully neutralized acid can now be safely disposed down a sink or storm drain without fear of damage to your septic system or the environment. Wha La- Chemistry 101!
CAUTION... the reaction of lime and acid can release chlorine gas and/or hydrogen gas, so I recommend wearing a chlorine-gas rated respirator or at the least keep the air moving away from you during this process.

Last edited by toyospearo; 10-13-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 AM

Paint your truck Kawasaki Green.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
clint mines black and GRABER GREEN!!! and yes im in the kill switch boat to not telling ya were though and yes its a stock switch that you will never find!
Old 10-13-2008, 10:01 AM

Lol just unplug the dist.^
Old 10-13-2008, 10:14 AM

thats way to mush work man way to much work mine is in the light button on the sr5 dash pod dohicky ya know?

it stays on all the time unless i dont like the area im in
Old 10-13-2008, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by just a 22re
black and GRABER GREEN!!!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:55 AM

Why, I don't know? The previous owner started the project and I finished it over the weekend. Does really nothing but add the bling factor to it. lol
I didn't want to lose the pockets so I took them off the old doors and mounted them.

previous owner did this Head light mod. Has angel eye rings like a BMW, lol. What's cool about this mod is that if my light goes out I just need to replace the bulb and not the whole head light.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:43 AM

Best mod ever? Hmmm... my gunrack? Fiberglass shell, or spray-in bedliner? Tinted windows for those sunny AZ days??
Old 10-14-2008, 09:45 AM

i want them head lights but cant find them anywhere!!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
some small mods that people don't notice:

-Cut out the center of my grill and lower valance, replaced it with black mesh screen.
-Make a custom metal panel to cover up the slot under my deck, this houses a buncha switches.
-Trimmed my lower valance (well you guys already know that )
-I got a buddy to make me a US spec TOYOTA decal for my tailgate. Canadian trucks got a smaller toyota on the upper portion of the gate.
-Blue lights in the cluster, heater and corner lights. Soon to have switched blue underglow under the dash.. So ricer..but so awsume!

Thats all of the little fun mods I can think of....

Quick Reply: Mods that make others go hmmm...