Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Man....I am about to drive myself and this toyota off of a cliff.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
On the pickups you can replace the brake line without dropping the tank, but you have to move it over some to get to the bolt that holds the line to the frame. (It helps if the drive shaft is out of the way) The fuel filter needs to come off too, so you might want to replace the fuel lines too while you're at it.
https://www.yotatech.com/912696-post60.html

Another option (not as good) is to run a long SS braided flexable brake line around the bad line.

Last edited by mt_goat; 12-01-2007 at 08:41 AM.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 82yota
Just go to an automotive store and get a chunk of brakeline the length you need and bend it the way you want. Get a joiner fitting for the line and cut the old brake line and take your old fitting off the LSPV and put on your new line. Flare with a flaring tool and put it all back on. Not a hard job to do.
I have kind of tossed cutting the line before the tank, then rerouting it tight to the frame, but where it is accessible.

I may just drop the tank to replace the entire thing though, and just know that it's good to go. My problem, is locally, finding metric threaded fittings on brake line is all but impossible. I've dealt with this on Honda's I don't know how many times. This is why I'll often cut the line, flare it, and join some lines together.

It's no big deal to me...like I said, its just the time and ongoing crap.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why can't you use the fittings that are already there and just take them off the old line and put them on the new line you build? You don't need to bugger them up when taking them off. Just heat the fitting up with a torch and throw some water on it. Will make it come out nice and easy. That way all you need to do is get some brake line and flare it nice. And if you are going to splice a line in just put regular standard fittings on where the splice is. The truck wont care that the splice fitting aren't metic. It'll be happy.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:15 AM

uh the brake line fittings are all the same 3/8 I have never had a problem going to auto zone or advanced and get a 5ft or 6ft line for 11$.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:38 AM

If you diy your own brake line you need to be sure and dbl. flare it .
Old 12-01-2007, 01:38 PM

Oh I see....Honda's use metric fittings, and that always causes me hell. Well, if it's 3/8's fittings, then that makes things even easier so...not so bad I guess.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:51 PM

Why must you double flare it? When I did mine I just used a Rigid flaring tool and just did the regular flare. And it sealed up just perfectly fine. The brakes work fine and no leaks at all. Even had an emergency stop cause some idiot decided to pull over but use up 2 lanes and forced another guy into incoming traffic. All in nice snowly slippery weather but I stopped just fine.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 PM

I would remove the old line first and take it with you when you get the new line so you can find a close match then you can bend your new line close to the same as the old one.
I have found that they do not have to be a exact match but close and it is always better to get a line that in a little longer then too short
Old 12-02-2007, 05:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A dealer can order brake lines with your vin # and they come prebent with fittings ready to screw on. Prices are fairly reasonable for some reason.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 PM

the double flare is for better sealing ,strength,& safety. the single flare will work for the time being ,but if you had to do a panic stop already i think you are driving (stopping?) on borrowed time. also the dbl. flare helps with the strength of the line as they tend to crack when single flared... if it were me i'd replace it a.s.a.p. !! as steering & braking are VERY important !! just my $.02 worth ...
Old 12-02-2007, 12:20 PM

just cut out the old brake line, run a new one from the split on the passenger side, over the tank to the back. bleed the line, then the brakes.

When i bought my first truck, i had to change both the lines to the back that way, no need to drop the tank, then had the same problem on my first 4runner. just did the two on the 2nd 4runner and a month ago did my bosses ext cab truck.

this is a common problem in canada and sits on the lip of the tank next to the lines and rots them out.

All in all its an hour job to do it.

Last edited by Discipher; 12-02-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:16 PM

brake lines are hell

dont flare them. just buy a close match n' length and put a few extra bends in it. what are you quys building a church here???
Old 12-02-2007, 08:32 PM

Alright, so here's the story.

I checked the news, and we have some weather comin, and I need this truck running. My 460whp DelSol isn't gonna cut it in the snow, so I decided to approach it like this:

I just read today, searching the yotatech forums, that the dealer has the lines prebent and all for 30 bucks a piece! WOW...of all the things to be cheap from the dealer...who'da thought.

Well, seeing this, clearly this is the way I want to go. Only problem is, like I said, I need my truck back for this weather that's coming. My girlfriend works nights, and has school, so if it snows, my truck needs to be available.

So what I decided to do was, cut in front of the tank, then cut behind the tank right in front of that proportioning valve. I bought two 60" 3/16's lines, some unions, and used a standard flare tool to join the lines. I then filled and bled out the system.

Everything is good to go, but I am having a really bad stiff pedal upon the first push, but if I repush the pedal I gain some breaking, then if I repush the pedal I get braking full on. I am gonna bleed the system more tomorrow, but I am starting to feel like I have a booster issue too. I checked the check valve, and it's working properly. I dont' hear any hissing and the pedal goes down when I start the truck, but air in the line making the pedal hard as a rock and useless sounds wrong.

Anyway, to wrap it up. What I'm going to do is go to the Toyota dealer and buy those lines. Since I saw the rust and corrosion, I want to drop that tank and clean up the frame anyway. I suspect there is some rust and I want to deal with it and head it off. I'll just save that project for a later date when I can get to it. For now, I should get by with the fix.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:01 AM

It always comes in waves. Every time I am about sell my truck, something comes up that I have to fix (I refuse to sell a busted truck to someone). So then I spend way too long and too much money fixing it... and then when it works again, I realize how great it is and fall in love with the damn thing all over. Then I decide to drive it for a little while longer... till I finally decide to sell it and the whole process repeats itself.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
welcome to 7 years ago.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:23 PM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by wallytoo
welcome to 7 years ago.
LOL. . Move this to the Jennifer -Back to The future thread. LOL!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
do both! There ar etwo lines over that gas tank from the rear brake modulator. Get a roll of copper nickel and make new lines. then you don;t have to do it again.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The key to this is dont just fix,upgrade make it better than stock so you have peace of mind and it will last longer!! Oh and get good quality parts