Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lower Intake Manifold Causing Low Idle??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
down by the powersteering pump theres some vacuum lines.i had a vaccum leak there once. you can find a vaccum leak by taking some carb spray, and spray it around the intake, anywhere the air gets in, like air intake. spray on the lines connected to the manifold and the little valves. it wont catch fire it evaps to fast. throttle body cleaner or intake cleaner also works. i think brake kleen works as well. you spray it and if the engine picks up then thats where your vaccum leak is. just dont go spraying it on the exhaust manifolds, especially brake kleen, itll catch fire. i dont normally ever use brake clean. its more flammable. also i dont normally do it after the engine has been running for long periods as everything is real hot causing possible problems. i usually do it like after its cool. run it spray around all vacum lines and intake etc, if i find nothing i stop spraying it. again it will run better with the spray ecause a vacuumk leak causes the engine to run lean, becaus eto much air is getting in somewhere. the spray acts as a fuel causing the engine to purrr along happily

Last edited by marshm4ll0w; 08-31-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the info man. But I think I mighta solved it. I just simply cleaned the EGR with some brake kleen and then when I put the top portion of the intake manifold back on I relized that one of the bolts to put it on was alot shorter then all the rest. Went looking around and found the right one then relized that the short one I had used on the intake mani was the bolt to hook the EGR to the intake mani. Sounds odd I know but it worked. Though I am idleing at like 600-650 rpm all the time. Which is a little low but its fine right?

The reason I didnt post my solution on here yet was because it was so simple I wasnt sure if that was the real solution. Reguardless I drove it like 30 or so miles right now and it seemed finee. So only time will tell. Thanks guys!
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 PM

well now you got it running better try and jumper the test spot out and then checking timing and set your idle, you said you changed it. i dont know bout the 22re i only own 2 3litres but theres a test thing and you can jumper it with a paperclip or something and then do timing. tells you which terminals i believe on sticker and junk under hood. tells you basetiming too i believe and what it should idle at. other thiing is what do the plugs n junk look like and a tuneup ect. oil changes seem to do justice for me. its so cheap i have to do them haha. its cheaper than replacing worn engine parts