Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lost Power after playin in the mud HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well first off the motor and trans arent even broken in yet and your out hot rodding sounds like you dont have compression in the cylinders and probly smoke the clutch or your syncros are goin bad
Old 11-28-2009, 06:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Well ive figured ive got about a thousand on the motor and transmission. And they say you need to granny drive it for at least 700 miles to break it in.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:02 AM

DONT granny drive it, you want to put it through its paces, go up a big hill, put some load on it, dont let it idle for the first 50 miles or so, dont rev the hell out of it just make the engine work.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 PM

No revving, its a 22r nothing to rev.
I drive up a loooooooong tall bridge 6 times a day back and forth to town and work.
And i play just a little bit.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:57 PM

No revving, its a 22r nothing to rev.
I drive up a loooooooong tall bridge 6 times a day back and forth to town and work.
And i play just a little bit.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yea i don't go all out like i used to...lol my '80 went through some nasstttyyy stuff when i drove it around LOL

the '86 has been through some rough stuff...but not like my '80 lol

although i'll admit..i have sunk the '86 one time..and as soon as i get my new idle cut solenoid..im gonna take it out and TRY to get it stuck..so me and my girl can spend the night out on the river bank..LMFAO!!!..i doubt i'll get it stuck though..i've only been stuck once in it and that was because i was goin through ruts made by a chevy on 38's LOL and i ALMOST made it..but i got high centered and i wasn't goin no where
Old 12-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Well fellas i gained all my power back once the truck just dried out i reckon, just to loose it again last night...It poured down cats and dogs here in SC last night and i was on the way home in the middle of no where and a lil ole lady was on the side of the road with her emergency flashers on, I turned around to help her bein the nice person i am lol and when i came back, i slowly pulled off the side of the road only to figure out it was so dagum sloppy i slid right into the ditch. I hopped out of my truck locked in the hubs and ran over there and helped her, ten minutes later she left and i got back in my truck and put it in 4low to try and crawl out of the ditch it was just to dagum sloppy, it took alotta rpm's and alot of slingin mud but i got out only to figure out that when i unlocked the hubs and put it back in 2hi it lost all the acceleration i had 30 minutes ago. This is pissing me off like yall wouldn't believe. This is the second time in a month that its happened and i need help now.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:51 AM

well obviously somethings wet and not working properly, did you replace that sensor?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 AM

No i was told it was gonna be like 900 bucks and i haven't had the money.
See here's where it doesnt make sense, i was riding a dirt road with a girl kinda just idling and talkin, wasn't in a hurry. And we went through a wet spot in the road, it had to be 3 foot deep, and i sped up hit it about 10 mph so i wouldnt sink, and crawled right through it, this happened 3 or 4 times and i made sure i kept my rpms pretty low.
Last night i was pissed, the mud i was throwing wasn't so much wet and wattery as it was Sloppy, i was pissed and all i wanted to do was get out of the dagum ditch no matter what. So i put it to it and once it crawled out its doing the same thing it was last time when i ran the rpms hard.

My guess is that in a few days it will dry out and run perfect, but until then i have to acceleration and no pulling power.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Bojangles
No i was told it was gonna be like 900 bucks and i haven't had the money.
See here's where it doesnt make sense, i was riding a dirt road with a girl kinda just idling and talkin, wasn't in a hurry. And we went through a wet spot in the road, it had to be 3 foot deep, and i sped up hit it about 10 miles per hour so i wouldnt sink, and crawled right through it, this happened 3 or 4 times and i made sure i kept my rpms pretty low.
Last night i was pissed, the mud i was throwing wasn't so much wet and wattery as it was Sloppy, i was pissed and all i wanted to do was get out of the dagum ditch no matter what. So i put it to it and once it crawled out its doing the same thing it was last time when i ran the rpms hard.

My guess is that in a few days it will dry out and run perfect, but until then i have to acceleration and no pulling power.
900 bucks?
get a new mechanic or do it yourself
Old 12-03-2009, 09:04 AM

No im saying i was told just to buy the brand new sensor alone was 900 bucks, id put it in myself.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
AFMs are expensive, I priced one at the dealership for poops and giggles and they want $956 for one, auto parts stores arent any better if they even carry them. I have also gone through 2 of those!! One was shorted out, and the other shorted out accidentally (my fault) !! They are about 60 bucks used.

Do the 02 first, then get a haynes manual and look up the VAFM, it shows you a way to test it with a DVOM.

Thats what i was told.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:07 AM

like i said get a new mechanic and google how much one is.

you'll see that guy doesnt know what he was talking about, or he was trying to tear you a new one.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:18 AM

I just googled it and i couldn't find anything about a price, if anyone finds anything how about let me know.
I reckon im just going to check around with some people and see if they can tell me whats going on, this is just irritating me.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 AM

I just googled it and i couldn't find anything about a price, if anyone finds anything how about let me know.
I reckon im just going to check around with some people and see if they can tell me whats going on, this is just irritating me.
you need just a sensor?
Old 12-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Evidently, The wires to my O2 sensor are cut and someone suggested i check them because if they get wet it might be causing a problem. I think i might Electrical tape the mess out of em and see what i get.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 AM

This thread brings back memories of my own! Right after my engine rebuild I took the truck for its first run... nothing crazy but the night before it rained hard and left fairly large puddles on the main trail. as i was going through one of the puddles the truck had a huge loss of power, and a CEL. upon inspection i saw i forgot to zip tie/secure the o2 wire to the trans/frame and since this wiring has a lot of slack one of the puddle splashes pushed the wire up into the spinning drive shaft.... and poof the wiring got ripped and mangled around the drive shaft! i think after the engine swap the builder forgot to secure the same wiring on your truck and your drive-shaft ate it for lunch...

first and foremost DO NOT PAY $900 FOR AN O2 SENSOR REPLACEMENT!!!! some may think this mechanic dosent know what he is talking about, on the contrary i believe he knows exactly what he is doing... trying to rip you off... follow what is below:

Check where they are cut. is it before or after the O2 connector to the wire harness. if it is cut before the actual wire harness go to any discount store and pick up a bosh o2 sensor (wired for your truck) for about $150. If the wiring harness is cut go to the discount auto store and pick up a universal bosh O2 sensor (I was cheap and did this even-though the engine wire harness was not touched) for about $80.

how hard is the job? well depending on you abilities and tool count... it could vary. I am not a pro mechanic, but i am fearless with my wrenches. So consider me a schooled weekend warrior. I would say if this is the first time you picked up a wrench this would take about 60 min with the custom o2 and about 90-120 min with the universal. not a bad job one bit... just pick up the wrenches, get to work, have your truck fixed, gain some knowledge, and save some coin along the way!
Old 04-24-2010, 06:06 AM

Alright...Haven't posted on this in a while but figured i should update on whats going on...
I checked my O2 sensor and the only thing that had happened was someone came up with Wire Cutters and cut straight through. (if i find out who, ill cut them)
So i stripped the wires, and connected them back, which made my Check Engine light go off. I electrical taped the snot out of it, and hoped for the best.

A week later i was driving down a back road where there was a low spot and about 6 inches of water had gathered, i hit the puddle on the drivers side doing 30MPH and immediately lost all acceleration. And whats hard to explain is...It doesn't spit and sputter like its trying to run on 2 or 3 cylinders or the distributor has got water in it...Its like i press the gas from 0% to 98% and it accelerates the same. (you can imagine how this makes me feel having a 4 cyl and running 33x12.50 mud terrains) But when i push it to 99% or 100% (pedal to the floor) It accelerates like a brand new truck. When i decrease out of the pedal again, it drops the acceleration just as quick as i gained it.
This happens to me quite often when it rains, so i know i just have to give it time, and sure enough 3 or 4 miles down the road my acceleration kicked back in to perfect. (evidently when everything dried out)
Ive been told it was the coolant temperature sensor (which i replaced) And that helped a couple of things, but not my main goal. The O2 sensor (which i fixed, and got a mechanic i know to check it out just to be told it was working perfectly) Plug wires (which needed to be done anyways...But still no help)
Im not a big Electrical guy...So i need all the help i can get, Any tips or ideas or hints are GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 04-24-2010, 07:32 AM

I bought the truck to have a nicer on road experience then my 87 clunker. But id like to do the occasional off roading, but until i get this problem solved...Im afraid i cant go anywhere but dry land. Ive come across a few people who have had the same problems with their Toyota Pickups and 4Runners. But no one has found an answer yet...
Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 AM

I bought the truck to have a nicer on road experience then my 87 clunker. But id like to do the occasional off roading, but until i get this problem solved...Im afraid i cant go anywhere but dry land. Ive come across a few people who have had the same problems with their Toyota Pickups and 4Runners. But no one has found an answer yet...
i had a somewhat similar problem. and it turned out to be my fuel injectors. everytime id hit a puddle itd bog down and die. or it would bog down and run like poop.

Quick Reply: Lost Power after playin in the mud HELP.