Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lost Power after playin in the mud HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 12:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnarly4X
First, most people I know would think your are an idiot.

If you treat a nice vehicle that way, then you get what you deserve!!

The only HELP I can give you, is you might try growing up just a tad!!

gNARLS.
Thats probably why im having alot more fun at my age then you did.
The only help i can give you, is you might try loosing up some. Thanks. Anymore advice?
Old 11-22-2009, 12:28 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Comon gNARLS, I did the same thing when I first got my Toy some years back when I was 19... beat the ever-love'n snot out of it for about a year, and then ended up rebuilding the ENTIRE TRUCK... as far as I'm concerned, live and let live, and let each learn from their mistakes if they're unwilling to listen to others fore-warning

My truck hasn't been burried door-deep in mud for quite some time now, partially because A) it breaks stuff and can start to get expensive and time consuming to fix, and B) I just kinda grew out of it and "mudding" doesn't really interest me like it use to...

But back on track with the issue, check your plugs and plug wires too when you check the other electrical plugs; I know you said you checked the cap, but how do the wires theirself look?

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-22-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bojangles
Thats probably why im having alot more fun at my age then you did.
The only help i can give you, is you might try loosing up some. Thanks. Anymore advice?
Don't be too prideful to take some good advice
Old 11-22-2009, 12:46 PM

They look just a little bit old, im thinkin ima replace them soon. But im going to try that afm sensor and the O2 sensor asap.

Ive burried my 87 toyota more then once, (which is why ive had to rebuild the motor and replace cv axles rearends etc. But i just got this truck and wanted to see what it could do.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:48 PM

Not prideful, its a lifestyle i grew up around, its what i grew up doing, and i doubt ima stop because of a bad sensor and some criticism from some old feller online
Old 11-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributing Member

haha, do what ya love; it all cost money either way, just wheel it

wunna rock crawl? invest everything into 4-link, exo-cage, etc, roll it, break it, fix it, repeat

wunna show truck? invest everything into "bling", electronics, and every other off-the-wall custom "thing" you can think of, cause custom's are NEVER complete...

wunna go mudd'n? invest everything into lift and tires, and everything that breaks in the process, run it, break it, fix it, repeat

Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 PM

Iamsuperbleeder
What does AFM stand for????? ill buy one tonight if i can. And where is it located on the motor?
Old 11-22-2009, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

AFM stands for Air Flow Meter

It's the thing bolted to the top of the air filter housing box

a new one from the parts store is going to run you a good amount of money... I got a used one off eBay for about $20

Because of it's price, I wouldn't just jump in and buy a new one; personally, I'd see if a buddy will let you borrow and install his for a quick drive; it's only a hose clamp, 4 12mm bolts, and an electrical plug in that hold it in place (when you undo the electrical plug in, DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT loosen the two screws; there's a metal spring-clip that you remove, and the plug comes right out)

But just check the plug first and make sure it's clean, along with the plug for the TPS (throttle posisioning sensor) on the throttle body on the intake. Those are the two major sensors that come to mind with weird problems like that accurring. The next thing that comes to mind is the plug on the ignitor, which is the box-like thing that's bolted above your ignition coil; check the plug-in on it too.

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 11-22-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im willing to bet that its the 02 sensor, the engine wont know how much fuel to add or remove without it. That being said, my 02 sensor went out and was causing the same problems as you stated, it needs to be connected, you cant just remove it. Its not like EGR or other things.

Get a new one, and zip tie the wires around the frame, these trucks have a bad habit about the wires for the 02 sensor rubbing on the exhaust and burning a whole in them. Im thinking thats what happened to mine, and probably you too! In fact I just had to do it recently too!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:46 PM

AFMs are expensive, I priced one at the dealership for poops and giggles and they want $956 for one, auto parts stores arent any better if they even carry them. I have also gone through 2 of those!! One was shorted out, and the other shorted out accidentally (my fault) !! They are about 60 bucks used.

Do the 02 first, then get a haynes manual and look up the VAFM, it shows you a way to test it with a DVOM.

Last edited by 1989toy4wd; 11-22-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:13 PM

Well decided to bite the bullet and take it to a friend at the shop to let him check it out...
I dont usually take my truck to the shop to get it fixed, but when your workin 6 days a week, you dont have much time.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

I hate taking my truck ANYWHERE to have ANYTHING done to it... I don't even like taking it to get an alignment, just cause I know it's in someone else's hands, lol... but every once in a while, you just have to put it in someone else's lap...

good luck; let us know what you find out!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 PM

Did you check the timing? (Sorry if i missed that in the posts)
Old 11-25-2009, 04:48 PM

Well the motor is brand new and they did the timing 800 miles ago, when its cold and idling it jumps from 600 to 1000 rpms over and over, I was told that was the timing, but it doesnt seem to be hurting anything.

Anyways, i took it to a friend at the shop and he checked it out, he pulled the fuel line off to check and see if i had fuel pressure, and he says he thinks some water came out of the line. He put the line back on and it cranked up, ran perfect......
He thinks i got some wires wet and it just took a couple days to dry out, im going to run this tank of gas out and never get gas at sunoco again lol
Old 11-25-2009, 05:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
in addition to not getting gas at sunoco i would recommend not plowing mud puddles without poking the bottom with a stick at minimum to make sure you dont drown the truck

i've had my fun in the mud too. in the end though, the fun is overshadowed by higher maintenance costs, tickets, neighbors complaining about washing mud in the road, getting stuck and pulled out by barbie jeeps, getting covered head to toe in mud with who-knows-what in it, having screwed brakes because mud dried between the caliper and turned hard as a rock... amongst about a million other things. which is why i now avoid mud. keep it up and you'll know the feeling
Old 11-25-2009, 06:45 PM

Already know the feeling lol But appreciate it.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:19 PM

x2 when I was younger I did stupid sh** but when you own it and theirs no one to blame but you hell it just takes the wind out of you sails but that field of mud still looks fun
Old 11-25-2009, 07:41 PM
Contributing Member

yep, I use to sling a little mud myself, on a weekly basis

I just got tired of washing it and repairing crap, so now it stays nice and shiny

for now, until I get the itch to take her down a trail or two but even still, I'm easy on it now, and I don't get it COVERED on purpose like I use to, lol

Old 11-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Haha thats great, Ive had my truck look reaaaal similar to those pictures more then once.

I started pressure washing my truck after every friday night outing at the car wash, Because dad's Driveway becomes a Dirtway if i wash it there or if it rains.
Haha thanks for the help fellas
Old 11-26-2009, 08:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you plan where you wash the mud out, you'll end up with a nice track to play on.

Quick Reply: Lost Power after playin in the mud HELP.