Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Loose/unknown wire underneath dash???

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 09:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Parking Brake Power, where does that wire go???

Originally called Loose/unknown wire underneath dash???

I am 99% sure this is my Parking Brake but I cannot figure out where the stupid thing plugs in. It's not my cig lighter, it's not the flasher or the defog, all lights and items work in the cluster, it's the ONLY thing I have left.

Has anyone swapped out a parking brake that can tell me where the power plugs into that. Somehow it must know to turn that light on in the cluster when it's set, and mine won't go on. I know it's good because it comes on when the key turns on, but not when the brake is on.

It's driving me nuts, so if anyone knows I'd LOVE to find out!

Okay, I took apart my dash to replace the speedo cable, all went back together but I have a wire with a white clip on the end of it that comes out of the same group that the speedo wires come out of, but it was hanging below my dash.

I can't for the LIFE of me figure out where that sucker goes. I did notice that my parking brake light no longer goes on, and since I had to remove the parking brake cable to get the old speedo cable out and the new one in (design GENIOUS by the way), I think it may be from that parking brake, but I cannot find where it would connect.

It's a three prong white end on the wire that's about 1/2 inch wide. Does anyone know where the parking brake plugs in, I mean it has to have some sort of wire plugged into it if it's going to trigger a light in the dash right? I know the bulb is good because it fires up when I turn the key on.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by vegascoug; 02-11-2006 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Title
Old 02-09-2006, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember my brake light not coming on for awhile either, and found the connector hanging below the dash. There should be, if memory serves me correctly, a female connector behind the parking brake where the light wiring connects to. Make sure you take your time looking around...there's a lot nooks under that dash.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:22 AM

No doubt, I felt around under there last week and thought for sure I found it, but it wasn't a plug in.

I'll check it out, I am 99% it has to be that, because my P brake used to come on.

I have to replace the speedometer this weekend so I'll look when I have it apart again.

Thanks
Old 02-11-2006, 01:57 PM

Still no luck

I tried to take some pics of it, kind of blurry, but maybe someone can tell what it is?

http://www.go-cougs.net/4runner/
Old 02-11-2006, 04:20 PM

That wire looks very similar to a cigarette lighter wire. Maybe it is a test wire, or for an option like rear defogger, or maybe it is a cruise disconnect switch for the brake, or clutch? I guess this has spread to 2 threads.
Old 02-11-2006, 04:24 PM

I haven't tried the cig lighter. Not sure why my P brake light doesn't come on though, that's odd.

But my cig light (light inside the hole) comes on, but I don't have a lighter to tell.

The defogger is a different plug, I found that one. However even though the orange light on the defog switch lights up, my defog doesn't work.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:17 PM

the light on the cigarette lighter is a seperate harness from the cig power. You could use a ohmmeter and plug it into the wire and start tapping fuses and see which one it beeps on.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:21 PM

Now there is a BRILLIANT idea I hadn't thought of...I wondered a way to use a meter some how but never thought of the fuses.

I am still curious as to why my parking brake light doesn't come on, but maybe I broke something when I disconnected it.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:45 PM

Definitely not the cig lighter, I have a little wireless adapter that plugs into it and plays MP3s off a USB memory key, and it powers up so I know it has power.
Old 02-12-2006, 05:39 AM

Maybe its an airbag switch :-P
Old 02-12-2006, 07:43 AM
Contributing Member

in pic 7, you can see the sliding arm with the flat spot on the bend in front of a hole on the bracket, that is where your p/brake switch is supposed to be mounted. it appears to be missing, it might plug into that connection, then be inserted and attached to the bracket. when your p/brake is disengaged, that silver coloured arm slides back into the lower dash making contact with the switch, closing the circuit and shutting off the p/brake light on your dash. that switch also turns on your drl's, as soon as you release the p/brake handle, your drl's come on. i know this applies to cdn vehicles and it may apply to us vehicles but im not entirely certain. if you have a haynes or chiltons manual, it will give you some ideas as to where and how the switch goes. hope this helps.

lee
Old 02-12-2006, 08:22 AM

AH HA! just connect the two contacts and see what happens, youlle either blow a fuse or some light will come on answering your question!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:36 AM

LeeBee hit the nail on the head, another user on here emailed me and told me the same thing. I found on on Ebay from an 86-89 that looks like it would still work, and it's the male match to the plug I have.

I bought this truck last year and I never noticed that light didn't come on (I live in a flat area and rarely use my p-brake). It was never on there, so I'll have to find a used one or see how much the dealer wants.

Thanks to all!!!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:41 AM
Contributing Member

youll definately want to check the operation of your p/brake if you dont use it regularly. you never know when it will be needed. glad you were able to get this figured out, let us know how it works out.

lee