Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lock-Right Locker - Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 09:56 AM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
RJR- interesting trick. I’ve used it to get out of a hole after water coupled out fuel pump plug.

OP this settles it lockers, gears, and dual cases..... if it was only that easy right
Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by RJR
Does the Lexus have traction control (ATRAC)? That can help a lot on stuff like that. Also, yours is a manual, right, vs. I'm assuming an automatic for the Lexus. Much easier with the auto to apply smooth power and keep the wheels from breaking loose.

pretty sure that is a 97 or older lexus judging by the solid front axle, i don't believe Atrac came out till '03 or '04 in 470's
Old 11-16-2017, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dropzone
So you need to look up the lock rights part number on the box and figure out if it's a front or rear diff..
1610 LR is toyota 8" (rear end)
1611,LR 7.5" 27 spline front IFS

4.88's would also help..pushing 33's with 4.10s isn't helping your cause
I've been wanting to get 4.88 3rd members for a while, but I just haven't been in a hurry for them. I don't have the tools or the skills to do an actual gear swap, so an entire 3rd member swap would be much easier and quicker. The prices of the few used 4.88 3rd's I found online weren't too bad, but I'll keep looking.

Originally Posted by RJR
Does the Lexus have traction control (ATRAC)? That can help a lot on stuff like that. Also, yours is a manual, right, vs. I'm assuming an automatic for the Lexus. Much easier with the auto to apply smooth power and keep the wheels from breaking loose.

I'm pretty sure it would be easier to get my automatic, V8, open diffs '06 over that ledge than my locked 5speed '94. The ATRAC plus the smooth low-end torque of the auto V8 makes stuff like that easy.
Yes, the Lexus has an automatic. I acknowledge that it's more difficult to wheel with a manual, but at least that'd be a useful skill to have once I get the hang of it.

One thing to try with your manual next time is the "starter trick". This is taught in Toyota offroad classes for obstacles like this. Pull up tight against the ledge, and shut off the engine. Then, with the transmission in 1st gear and the clutch engaged (foot off the pedal), hit the "clutch start cancel" button and hit the starter with the key. The truck will smoothly climb the obstacle under starter power, and if you feather the gas right, the engine will catch and pull you over the rest of the way.

This works because the starter motor has more torque than the engine at low speeds, and applies that torque much more slowly and smoothly than you can do by slipping the clutch. Try it; you'll be pretty impressed.
Interesting trick, I think I'll give it a shot next time.

pretty sure that is a 97 or older lexus judging by the solid front axle, i don't believe Atrac came out till '03 or '04 in 470's
It is indeed a '97 Lexus LX 450. It used to be my dad's, but he recently sold it to my uncle. In the two years it's been in the family it has only been wheeled twice, but has proved to be very capable.
Old 11-17-2017, 11:42 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
So did you figure out if the "new in box" locker is for the front or rear?
Old 11-18-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So did you figure out if the "new in box" locker is for the front or rear?
It's a rear locker. Not only did the label on the box say 1610, but it also says "Toyota 8" 30 Spline", which I actually never noticed since I never took a good look at the locker or its box until recently.