Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

the limits of your truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ulfr
Strange, because I've heard from the Toyota Local dealer (in Iceland) that axles in the Hilux SFA are more frequently bought than axles from IFS. Strange, because there aren't so many vehicles that have a SFA, atleast the IFS ones are quite more. (I'm talkin' 'bout 'yotas mostly on 33s-38s)

When you broke an axle in the IFS, did you have a BJ lift kit or something that changes the angle of the axle?

I've had IFS on my 38" runner for years and never broken a thing. And there have been days when I'm more in the air than on the ground.
Prolly because the SFA rigs are wheeled more. Thats not a great way to judge strength. They are comparable, i dont think one is stronger than the other except for while turning like stated above.

For me lets see.
#6 injector in the V6
Headgasket
CV boot
Multiple Tie rods
2 Idler Arms
Balljoint
Multiple seals (mainly from banging rocks with the rear axle destroying the pinion seal)
Fried stock clutch
Never been "stuck". Did go through a mud/water hole and sucked water in the intake killing the engine. Wansnt stuck but the truck wasnt moving either. Got dragged out started her up finally and let the water burn out. Ended up frying all the plugs and the MAF. She ran on about 2 cylinders for a few days. Would die when idling so i had to keep the engine revved, couldnt coast.
Toasted a front ring gear (4.56) then toasted a front pinion bearing which welded itself to the pinion. My diff sounded like a boiling kettle from all the heat. Oil boiling is HOT!!!!
Then i rolled it 2.5 times into a big tree then back over. Sat overnight on its side and most of the next day. Came back the next weekend and yanked her out, pulled the plugs, blew oil out of the cylinders, replaced plugs and started her up. Drove her home on the freeway!!! Bent the rear drivers wheel, both rear shackles, messed up the tranny mounts, not a straight body panel on it, bed caved over, no grill or headlights.

I think i put that truck through hell before it was sold to be parted, miss that thing!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alpine4x4
Prolly because the SFA rigs are wheeled more. Thats not a great way to judge strength. They are comparable, i dont think one is stronger than the other except for while turning like stated above.

For me lets see.
#6 injector in the V6
Headgasket
CV boot
Multiple Tie rods
2 Idler Arms
Balljoint
Multiple seals (mainly from banging rocks with the rear axle destroying the pinion seal)
Fried stock clutch
Never been "stuck". Did go through a mud/water hole and sucked water in the intake killing the engine. Wansnt stuck but the truck wasnt moving either. Got dragged out started her up finally and let the water burn out. Ended up frying all the plugs and the MAF. She ran on about 2 cylinders for a few days. Would die when idling so i had to keep the engine revved, couldnt coast.
Toasted a front ring gear (4.56) then toasted a front pinion bearing which welded itself to the pinion. My diff sounded like a boiling kettle from all the heat. Oil boiling is HOT!!!!
Then i rolled it 2.5 times into a big tree then back over. Sat overnight on its side and most of the next day. Came back the next weekend and yanked her out, pulled the plugs, blew oil out of the cylinders, replaced plugs and started her up. Drove her home on the freeway!!! Bent the rear drivers wheel, both rear shackles, messed up the tranny mounts, not a straight body panel on it, bed caved over, no grill or headlights.

I think i put that truck through hell before it was sold to be parted, miss that thing!
Actually, no. There are more IFS yotas running 35-38s than SFA. And the difference is ALOT more. It's been well reckoned in Iceland that the front axles in SFA from hilux are very weak. That's why many people upgrade to stronger axles. The most common reason for a SAS over here is because it simply works better in snow.

But I suppose, we use our rigs differently.

Also, the front axle from a LC70 is more desired to be used when doin' SAS, because then we have it coil ready, and don't need to modify the hilux SFA to coils.

Last edited by ulfr; 03-10-2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:44 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love all the "never been stuck" comments ...

If you've never been stuck, you aren't wheeling hard enough lines!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by tc

Exactly!
Old 03-10-2008, 12:48 PM

I drove my 93 pickup from NJ to Vegas, then to LA and back with 220,000 on the clock over the summer, does that count?

In CO I maxed the truck out at 95mph, she wouldn't do any more than that.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by tc

Never said i havent had to back off of a line, just never had to be dragged out. Ive gone up and had to back off of many lines my rig couldnt handle!
Old 03-10-2008, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by ulfr
Actually, no. There are more IFS yotas running 35-38s than SFA. And the difference is ALOT more. It's been well reckoned in Iceland that the front axles in SFA from hilux are very weak. That's why many people upgrade to stronger axles. The most common reason for a SAS over here is because it simply works better in snow.

But I suppose, we use our rigs differently.

Also, the front axle from a LC70 is more desired to be used when doin' SAS, because then we have it coil ready, and don't need to modify the hilux SFA to coils.

Do you have the numbers on a stock CV joint failure? According to bobby long the stock birfield breaks at 4200 ft/lbs torque and 45* twist angle. Im pretty sure the stock CV is right around the same...they are very close.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a friend and I, got a great idea once upon a time.

we told my mom that he had his driver's license, even though he nor I did...

after a hard day of beating the crap out of our old 90 std cab (22re/5spd/4wd), on our way home, we decided to pay a corn field a visit...

did a three quarter barrel roll at about 45 mph. truck sat on its side for well over an hour (some volunteer Nazi fire policeman took it upon himself to alert the authorities, even though no damage was done to the property and there was no other vehicles involved, just a private corn field, my truck, me and my friend, and him as a passer-by).

after struggling to get out of the truck (was laying on the drivers side) for a few minutes, we got out. after an hour or so of dealing with the police, 6 of us pushed the thing back on its wheels. the key had broken off in our escape, but my step dad wedged a pocket knife in there and started her up, didn't even let the oil drain back down! fired right up, he drove it nearly 2 miles back home, and it was fine! nothing bent, nothing broken as far as suspension/mechanical things go. the alignment was even fine! just wasn't a salvageable body panel on the truck...

thats why Ill always own a Toyota, that and the Hilux video.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by 91Toyota
I did a 100ft burn out (brake stand but let the truck move) today in front of a bunch of softball players (all girls) in front of my high school...i've never got this much attention in my life...lol
How the HELL did you do a burnout in a 22re with one bad cylinder!?!?!?!
Old 03-10-2008, 06:01 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Never said i havent had to back off of a line, just never had to be dragged out. Ive gone up and had to back off of many lines my rig couldnt handle!

Still not wheeling lines hard enough then ...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by runner4thebeat
How the HELL did you do a burnout in a 22re with one bad cylinder!?!?!?!
I don't know. I had the rpms to about 4 grand...popped the clutch and let it sit at 4500 to 5000 rpm (because I didn't care) and let off of the brake a little and let it roll as the tire was spinning. I have even got it to chirp in second. I have not got any better compression out of that cylinder yet...lol.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:39 PM

the limits of my ifs. i have wheeled my ifs w 35" bfg mt s with 4" lift and 1.5" ball joint spacers. haven't broke a cv. this is my limits to ifs.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by tc
Still not wheeling lines hard enough then ...
Cuz im not sinking it up to my doors in mud? I can see having to be pulled out from breakage but we always repaired on the trail and kept going, or tried to. If i can make it up to an obstacle is sure as hell better be able to get back down. I cant really see being stuck unless its high centered

I think more people break stuff than get stuck when they wheel "hardcore". And if they are "stuck" they can usually back out, but they insist on going farther forward so they winch up. I cant see ebing stuck on slickrock
Old 03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
tc
Contributing Member

I cant see ebing stuck on slickrock
Guess you've never been to Moab then ...
Old 03-11-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by tc
Guess you've never been to Moab then ...
Nope. Never seen vids of anyone stuck on slickrock. Unless theyre were broke, rolled, or in a hottub.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the number one limiting factor is one simple thing....and that one thing is open differentials, and tires.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by stormin94
I think the number one limiting factor is one simple thing....and that one thing is open differentials, and tires.
Yep and upgrading the front to a locker is asking to grenade parts. Sticking with smaller tires greatly decreases the chances, but big meats have their place and when it comes time, 33" tires sometimes just wont cut it.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

thats why Im going LSD in the front and selectable locker in the rear
Old 03-11-2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
thats why Im going LSD in the front and selectable locker in the rear
For a capable DD that is quite adequate! A rear locker alone doubles the spots you can get into (and get into trouble )
Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

For a capable DD that is quite adequate! A rear locker alone doubles the spots you can get into (and get into trouble )
haha, I've been doing my reading on this site. And I completely agree with you. That should take me anywhere I'll be interested in going, and won't chew through tires/gears/CV's, anything like that.

Quick Reply: the limits of your truck