Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Lift Advice::new Member

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 09:46 AM
WKC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, sliders are definitely on the list. When you hit your frame rails or crossmembers on hard stuff, it makes a really really bad noise, simply put, and I would definitely rather that noise come from sliders, not frame rails. I'm thinking an AllPro tube bumper, since they can be had pretty cheap, but cannot decide on a rear bumper. I might just have a custom one made.

Budget will be reasonable, this will actually be my first car, haha. The mods that are most functional will come first, and a lift if it is ever necessary. But for right now I'm just trying to find out all I can about these trucks.

Last edited by WKC; 03-21-2006 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by tc
Then lockers. Since you don't have to deal with snow much, you could go with a lunchbox design and save $$$$$$$$$ over ARB. This would give you an incredibly capable vehicle that is very stable and not prone to breaking much.

What's a "lunchbox locker?

Roy
Old 03-22-2006, 08:55 AM

WKC,
-Look at my signature. I have video of my front end bouncing 2 feet in the air going down a wavey gravel road. I do some pretty heavy wheeling in my truck, and it is my daily driver. I do agree that the big tires and lift will put extra strain on parts, but from my experience, Toys can take it. I have never broke anything wheeling before. (I am going on a 3-day wheeling trip this weekend. I hope I did not just jynx myself. I will take lots of pics.)
-I personally like the big tire/lift combo. Re-gearing is a must. Just for the fun of it, I raced a '91 stock 4x4 a few weeks ago, and we were side by side the whole way. And if I feel like it, I can lay scratch from here to Taco Bell. And that's with the Truetrac. Both rear tires spinning.
-I agree with putting in a lunchbox(s) (50%-50% power to both wheels all the time) before the winch. You probably will never need the winch. Or consider a LSD. I love my Truetrac in the rear. It is my DD after all.
-I am not trying to shoot anyone down, I am just speaking from my experience. Out of curiousity, has anyone had 35"s on and broke stuff?
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather Diesel
What's a "lunchbox locker?

Roy
Check out the "Locker FAQ" post stickied at the top of this forum.
Aussie, QuickLoc, Detroit EZ, etc
Old 03-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bobakazi
WKC,
-Look at my signature. I have video of my front end bouncing 2 feet in the air going down a wavey gravel road. I do some pretty heavy wheeling in my truck, and it is my daily driver. I do agree that the big tires and lift will put extra strain on parts, but from my experience, Toys can take it. I have never broke anything wheeling before. (I am going on a 3-day wheeling trip this weekend. I hope I did not just jynx myself. I will take lots of pics.)
-I personally like the big tire/lift combo. Re-gearing is a must. Just for the fun of it, I raced a '91 stock 4x4 a few weeks ago, and we were side by side the whole way. And if I feel like it, I can lay scratch from here to Taco Bell. And that's with the Truetrac. Both rear tires spinning.
-I agree with putting in a lunchbox(s) (50%-50% power to both wheels all the time) before the winch. You probably will never need the winch. Or consider a LSD. I love my Truetrac in the rear. It is my DD after all.
-I am not trying to shoot anyone down, I am just speaking from my experience. Out of curiousity, has anyone had 35"s on and broke stuff?
I'd love to see htis video
Old 03-22-2006, 11:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
33x12.50s look too wide......10.50 is the only way I'd go, but its hard to find them in that size.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:24 PM
WKC

I think it really depends on what you do with a truck determines the rate of failure in it's components. This generation of Toyota Pickups has been lifted up enough to run 35" tires and people have done it without modifying the drivetrain. For some, it has worked without issues, and for some, it has been nothing but problematic. It all depends on a lot of variables: the condtions of your parts, the amount of stuff you haul/pull, how throttle-heavy you are with it offroad, all sorts of things.

Now, do I think 35's under a Toyota Pickup looks bada*s, yes. Could it prove to be good offroad, yes. However, in my opinion, for a first truck, for a truck that will be driven daily, on and off road, I'm not going to risk breaking something offroad when I won't have something to get me to work the next day.

4" and 33's is plenty for now.
Old 04-05-2006, 07:47 PM
WKC

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I've seen a lot of people run 35's with the stock gears (4.10 or 4.56 i think). If you have a Manual Tranny in a '93 or up Pickup with either the 4 or 6 cyl. motor, could you get away with running the 35's if you recalibrated the speed sensor to read correctly? Such as, using a Superlift TruSpeed module...
Old 04-06-2006, 08:10 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have V6 manual tranny and ran 33's with the 4.56's and it was OK. Speedo was actually dead on (off by 1MPH at 70). I have driven Lysmachia's V6 auto 5.71 with 35's.

Since, I have switched to 4.88's and it's much better than either the 31/4.56 or 33/4.56 combos.

If you have an auto, overdrive will be absolutely worthless (it's almost worthless even with 5.71's!)

Anyways, long story made short:
manual tranny with 4.56's you'll be OK. Anything less, you'll want to regear in a hurry

auto tranny IMHO you will have to regear (even if you have 4.88) for the thing to be worth half a damn on the highway.
Old 04-06-2006, 10:44 AM

I run a 4" and 35's, no BL. I did a little extra trimming and dont rub. I havent wheeled 35's as long as I was 33's, but my 33's were TSL bias, so they were heavier and harder to turn, I think the 35's will actually be less stress. The truck is my DD and I have had no drivetrain problems with it. I have regeared to 4.88 and have an ARB in the rear. It really helps on the trail. I like the 35 because it seems to have a narrower footprint than the 33 BFG, probally an illusion but I prefer a narrower footprint.