Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

LE v6 ac on 22r?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2024 | 06:42 PM

Question LE v6 ac on 22r?

im extremely new to this kind of vehicle, my uncle left me a 1988 pick up before he moved to mexico, its the base model with no factory options execpt power steering.

Its has no ac, and i wanna install ac, finding parts is a little difficult, now what i wanted to ask, i found a 1990 Camry LE with the V6, how many, if any part could i grab off of it? hard lines? compressor? anything? my pickup just has the 22R, and i wanna grab whatever i can off this old camry if anything is able to be salvaged
Old 10-27-2024 | 01:27 AM

Probably the schrader valve covers that screw onto the high and low pressure ac lines. Everything else is going to be different in some way.
Old 10-27-2024 | 07:42 AM

I am in the middle of a frame up build on my 86. I am using many of the parts from my 88. I recently rebuilt the A/C box and I have a couple extras in great shape. The A/C box with the controls and including the A/C amplifier are parts that need to fit your truck. Trucks without A/C have a spacer fit between the blower section and the heater section. The A/C box fits where the spacer is. The wiring is there to plug into. I know this because I installed factory A/C in my non - A/C 87 pickup back in the day.

It might be difficult to find a factory A/C compressor bracket for your engine. Another thing I found out is the factory Toyota hard lines are an odd size. There are no aftermarket tubes available. I think they are 8mm (5/16") aluminum lines. The hoses can be custom made just about anywhere though.

Condensers, dryers, evaporators, expansion valves and compressors are all available aftermarket so you have options there.

The vacuum switching valve (VSV) and the idle up valve are mounted on the intake on the EFI engines. I don't remember what raised the idle on the carb'd engines.

Your best bet is to find a donor truck with everything you need on it. However, you CAN put together a non factory system if you're mechanically inclined and understand A/C systems. I did it on my Frankenstein build using several different truck years, models and an engine swap.

I'm in Tucson and I can fix you up with the in cab A/C box and controls if you're interested. If you can find a compressor bracket and compressor you will be on your way to A/C. You can buy an inexpensive condenser and dryer online and have a shop make your hoses. If you're a good fabricator, make a compressor bracket and buy a Sandan compressor. I've done this for vintage vehicles.

A donor truck would be easiest but you would still need to go through it all. The A/C boxes are always filthy and often plugged up. They need to be cleaned, resealed, new evap and expansion valve. Definitely new dryer. Conversion charge ports for R134A. And be super careful with the aluminum hard lines.

Good luck getting A/C on your truck.