Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

just got a job at chrysler, might have to sell the yota :~(

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ayoung101
i proudly drive my toyota around detroit metro area, all the while getting glares for driving a non-american vehicle. i'm sure this happens somewhat elsewhere around the country, but NOTHING like in detroit metro. people here have an intense hatred for foreign vehicles. it's bad. i even notice a massive difference when i drive 3 hours west to western michigan. it's BAD here.

but anyways, here's my dilemma. i just got a job at chrysler, i start on thursday. i LITERALLY will have to park across the street because of my toyota. chrysler doesn't make much product that i'm interested in, but even if i found a jeep or something that was acceptable, that would mean i would have to sell my 4runner. this sucks. i don't know what to do. am i the only one on yotatech that works for the american big 3?
Why did you start another thread?

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f123...rysler-195746/
Old 11-03-2009, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lmao keep your 4runner if people give you about owning a 20 year old "foreign" car jsut let it slide off your shoulders. Most American car companies can't produce anything worth buying and that's why they need taxpayers to bail them out because they can't compete in a free market. Tell them that driving the best product is truly American and buying something just because it's made in the US is more communist than anything.

plus Chrysler was owned by the Daimler corp and now Fiat lol what a joke I swear people are effing retarded and ignorant.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
x2 I posted on the other one...
Old 11-03-2009, 07:46 PM

Im pretty sure my 1993 yota was manufactured a few miles outside of austin, tx while most of the big3 manufacture cheap inside japan.....talk about american pride...
Old 11-03-2009, 08:58 PM

I agree with Pirate,cry-slur sales is down 30% (fox news today) GM up 3% and Ford up 4%.People work hard,get paid and want a vehicle to last.Most americans cant afford to trade a car or truck in every 3 years because it falls apart and doesnt hold its value.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:20 PM

All 4Runners are assembled in Tahara Aichi Japan or Hamura,Tokyo Japan.A toyota assembled inside the united states is not a full blooded japanese bred yota in my opinion.Its not the same! Quality not the same.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wilshire
Just tell em you only drive your yota when your dodge is in the shop.
THat should work too, cause you could drive the yota everyday and it would still be believable. "Damn tranny went, again"

Seriously though, its your choice of trucks, you made the choice, so stand behind it, have some confidence that you made the right decision in your purchase. Chrysler didn't make something that worked for you, so you bought Toyota. That's how it stands, tell it like it is. The decision to by a foreign car was made over twenty years ago and is irrelevant now.

Last edited by Matt16; 11-03-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:51 PM

Yeah,one should never apologize for being smart.We yota owners shouldnt have to dumb down and drive "pretty" junk just because Howie Long says chevy is best.(we know better)
Old 11-04-2009, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
All 4Runners are assembled in Tahara Aichi Japan or Hamura,Tokyo Japan.A toyota assembled inside the united states is not a full blooded japanese bred yota in my opinion.Its not the same! Quality not the same.
Really? So the fact that my Tacoma's engine, tranny and other engine components were built in Japan and installed into the truck in California, doesn't make it a Toyota?

Try telling that to Tundra, Sequoia and Matrix owners.

Point of fact, my brother drives a 4th gen 4Runner and the interior fit and finish is all but identical.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
Really? So the fact that my Tacoma's engine, tranny and other engine components were built in Japan and installed into the truck in California, doesn't make it a Toyota?

Try telling that to Tundra, Sequoia and Matrix owners.

Point of fact, my brother drives a 4th gen 4Runner and the interior fit and finish is all but identical.
Frame cough cough.......
Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 AM

hello fellow Detroiter...I know what your talking about. I love driving my toyota pickup around town, but I hate the looks I get when I do. Better yet, hate the middle finger I get all the time. Just got one from an older woman driving a hummer at 23/schoenherr. Just because of the vehicle I drive! Compare my high mileage 1994 4x4 toyota pickup to any low, or high mileage american midsize pickup...there isnt one! I would keep it forever if it wasn't for all our winter road salt.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 AM

Isn't Hummer owned by a Chinese company now? Which would you rather own, a Chinese vehicle, or a Japanese-American one?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
so wait....you're selling your truck/4runner because you can't walk across the street to work?

Also, they shouldnt be discriminating like that. There was a guy (i got to meet) who was all over the news. He worked at busweiser, and one friday he went to the bar and was seen by his bosses drinking a miller lite. He was fired the next day. He won his lawsuit.

His story goes, he ordered a bud, but the waitress brought him a miller, and rather than put up a fuss because of the huge crowd, he just drank it. Took him 15 minutes to get that beer, he wasn't going to wait 15 more to get the correct one.

Anyway, they can't discriminate like that. I'm sure if you browse the parking lot you'll see other brands there as well. Shoot, there's a ford dealership here that has toyotas parked in front, and there's a VW dealership with corvettes in the parking lot. And chevy dealers with Saabs.

I have low tolerance for people who can't accept foreign vehicles. It's totally un-American to not be open to trade with other countries. When american companies can make quality products, I'll buy american. It's called competition. American companies think they can slap a "made in america" sticker on it and slag on the quality.

Last edited by DupermanDave; 11-04-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:45 AM

NOW its owned by a chinese company. it WAS owned by GM. i would have bought one if i could afford it (remember im VERY partial to chevy, when i got rid of my C10, it was between a silverado and my yota, yota won by a thread) if you take care of them the right way, GMs are very good cars. (marine buddy of mine has a canyon with slightly over 200,000 miles on it and it runs like brand new) (drives from yuma to south san diego every weekend then to the east coast a lot due to his job)
anyways, im surprised u got a job at a christler plant. good job. if i was you id buy a cheap old jeep and only drive it to and from work to avoid damage to your yota. or buy an old chrysler beater... lebaron or something. maybe you can help encourage em to make better vehicles.
though for the record: i am in love with the new dodge challenger. MMMM.....
Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I say move to another state LOL. The job at Chrysler probably won't last long anyway.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:33 AM

The new Challenger? Eugh. It looks like a bloated road turd compared to the sleek lines of the '71.

OP, buy a '68 Charger and give it the General Lee paint job, complete with dixie horn and welded doors and drive it to work for the first few weeks, then sell it. No one will question you when you drive your Yota in "to protect the general."
Old 11-04-2009, 08:37 AM
User Requested Ban

plus you might get a raise or something
Old 11-04-2009, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Newbie_93
Im pretty sure my 1993 yota was manufactured a few miles outside of austin, tx while most of the big3 manufacture cheap inside japan.....talk about american pride...
if you vin starts with 'jt', it was made in japan.

lee
Old 11-04-2009, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by JamesD
yeah, sorry about that. i was specifically hoping to hear from people who are local to detroit (cuz, as i stated, would better understand the local mentality), and so i posted again to get more exposure. not that any of the rest of your opinions don't matter, i was just specifically looking for some of you who understands what i go through daily, because they go through it daily too. and outside of detroit metro, you just won't understand in the same way.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Firebb15
hello fellow Detroiter...I know what your talking about. I love driving my toyota pickup around town, but I hate the looks I get when I do. Better yet, hate the middle finger I get all the time. Just got one from an older woman driving a hummer at 23/schoenherr. Just because of the vehicle I drive! Compare my high mileage 1994 4x4 toyota pickup to any low, or high mileage american midsize pickup...there isnt one! I would keep it forever if it wasn't for all our winter road salt.
ha, that's only a few miles from my house. i was around 14 and van dyke earlier today and got the finger from some guy while sitting at a light not even moving.

and speaking of road salt, holy crap detroiters are retarded when it comes to salt and snow! i grew up in west michigan, where it ACTUALLY snows (a 2 ft snow storm is no big deal over there, whereas if we get 6 inches here everyone freaks out). i've only lived here for a few years, and i already figured out that over here, they think salt will take care of everything. i remember last winter everyone was complaining that they should haven't put salt on the roads yet. but every single road i went on, INCLUDING the freeways, had yet to be plowed. wtf? you can't salt roads before removing the snow (seen that happen plenty too!)! no wonder we had a salt shortage last winter! geeze, if you live where it snows, you have 3 choices. drive a 4x4, learn how to drive without 4x4, or DON'T COMPAIN!

Quick Reply: just got a job at chrysler, might have to sell the yota :~(