Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 11:43 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm only guessing, but I would think that the 14inchers are also a LIL bit softer, even though they're taller. I would also think that would make for more bounce, no? Anyway, ask AJ, He'll answer you quickly(I HOPE< lol)
Old 08-06-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bj spacers and 14" 100# springs on my truck. there's a bit of rake unloaded, but not much. i hauled my gsxr to the track for the first time in this truck yesterday. with about 400-450lbs in the back, the truck sat pretty much level. i will take a pic the next time i have everything loaded up.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:21 PM

Cool, thanks Adam! I bet that would help those who are inquiring. With the cost of these, I wouldn't mind going to 14's if I ended up doing the BJ spacers.... I could always sell the 12" ones, easy. Am I wrong in assuming that the 12"x125lb'ers can carry more load without dropping? Lil confused on that.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Cool, thanks Adam! I bet that would help those who are inquiring. With the cost of these, I wouldn't mind going to 14's if I ended up doing the BJ spacers.... I could always sell the 12" ones, easy. Am I wrong in assuming that the 12"x125lb'ers can carry more load without dropping? Lil confused on that.
i would assume the same. shorter springs with a higher rate would be stiffer, right? that would mean you could effectively carry more load before they start to compress.

i'd be really interested to find out how the ride quality between the 12"/125lbs springs and the 14"/100lbs springs differ.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Do progressive springs exist for this application.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Coops, how are ya?

Yeah, I posted them, .....also, they're in my sig, hehe. No worries, that happens to me all the time. Heck, more lately than when I was 20, hahaha.

Anyway, they're the 12"x125# Springs. You thinking of doing them? Actually, in the post that's 2 above yours?... That's Zuk. If you go to his link in his signature below each post he makes?... Should see plenty of examples there, etc. I went from his link on his site because it took me right to those that fit the Yota's. There are two that are most common in our year trucks and 4runners, .. 12"x125lb. and 14"x100lb. However, some even do 14"x125lb.... I suppose for often-heavy loads, etc., ya know?

Best wishes with your project.

Mark

Mark

Thanks, been busy. My wife is getting some free studio equipment from a friend, so I am getting my truck ready to go and get it for her. And it is in your back yard San Francisco.

Got a rack off of a 2000 Trailblazer at a junk yard for $30.00 and it fits the shell on my truck, like it was made for it. Hooked up a Flex-a-lite fan, replaced the front wheel bearings, new stereo and speakers (4" front / 5.25" rear), Dick Cepek tires. Next is a fuse block to run some new stuff inside the truck, like power outlets http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0318&ppt=C0092 , a mount to hold my GPS, LCE header and 2.25 exhaust (not yet done).

And yes looking at the springs, some of the stuff is heavy and I am guessing a total weight around 800 pounds, so they might be needed.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by AdamR
i would assume the same. shorter springs with a higher rate would be stiffer, right? that would mean you could effectively carry more load before they start to compress.

i'd be really interested to find out how the ride quality between the 12"/125lbs springs and the 14"/100lbs springs differ.
ME 2! That's, at least, what I've been told... That mine are a lil stiffer but carry more before compressing. I guess we'll see. I'm heading camping with a HUGE load of stuff(have to bring some things on the way to a buddy in La Cresenta, CA.).

Originally Posted by Teuf
Not sure, Teuf.. Maybe Zuk could tell ya, ...or Superior?

Originally Posted by coops2k
Mark

Thanks, been busy. My wife is getting some free studio equipment from a friend, so I am getting my truck ready to go and get it for her. And it is in your back yard San Francisco.

Got a rack off of a 2000 Trailblazer at a junk yard for $30.00 and it fits the shell on my truck, like it was made for it. Hooked up a Flex-a-lite fan, replaced the front wheel bearings, new stereo and speakers (4" front / 5.25" rear), Dick Cepek tires. Next is a fuse block to run some new stuff inside the truck, like power outlets http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0318&ppt=C0092 , a mount to hold my GPS, LCE header and 2.25 exhaust (not yet done).

And yes looking at the springs, some of the stuff is heavy and I am guessing a total weight around 800 pounds, so they might be needed.
Very cool, Coops! It's so fun to put stuff together, etc... It just stinks when it's done, hahaha. But, heck, at least the 'stuff' we've done can be enjoyed, eh? lol. Looking forward to seeing your progress.... Drop me a PM with the link of a thread you do, ok?
Old 08-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Teuf
I found these, but they are a little different size
http://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=64
Old 08-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Here you go, Cooops........

http://www.gearinstalls.com/coilinfo.htm
Old 08-06-2010, 08:34 PM

You can go to either of those on that page, or you can just go here for the 12"...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-R...mZ290014123883

If you need to speak to him, just send an email through that ebay seller, ....His name is AJ, great guy!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Just remember to tell them 'what rate' of spring you want. They're listed below, some of them up to 700lb., hahaha.

I had them to my door fairly quickly compared to some of the stuff I've waited for, lol.
Old 08-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Did the 14" 100#'s on mine and very happy with the results, confident I would not have liked the 12" 125#'s as much for our purposes. The ride is very comfortable but not "floaty". Ours has a bit of rake as it sits now but with the top on and BJ spacers installed I'll bet it will be very close to level. Excellent mod, couldn't believe how easy and cheap it was and how well it worked. Here is our Zuk mod thread
Old 08-11-2010, 02:29 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
....................................... Now, I'm at 13, 3 INCHES UP, and the ride is REALLY nice. Easy mod, 70$ WITH shipping.... NO brainer for me. Not for everyone, and that's fine. However, I have to be responsible and 'prioritize' right now, especially with a Grand kid, ...and I didn't like the AAL I had on my white one(on that one I just replaced the whole pack, but it only lasted FULLY without sag for about a year.) I've seen guys with these with the same height for 3 years now, ..so like I said.....

New Suspension; GREAT! But around 900$ ALL DIY, + labor if not for any portion therein(installed for you?... 1600$ total or so)....

Zuk Coil; Rides fine for me, no play, almost no noise and 70$ to my doorstep and 2 hours, max labor(1.25 with help). Brings my pack back up and gets the stops 4" further up and 3" of fender clearance, ...in one hour? Yeah, like I said, no brainer. ..................................... CAN'T get myself to break the "Frugal" streak, right now, especially with the CA. Economy the way it is, ya know? hahaha.
I know where you're coming from ChefYota4x4 Coils are amazing....they just don't seem to sag ...probably good for at least 10 years. Any noise you might hear from them is probably related to the cuts you made on the "upper steel stopper"....if the corners are rounded off and maybe some flaring with a heating torch then I bet they compress with no interference at all and no noise. Enjoy. ZUK

ps- nice pics!

psps---you too JC...nice pics! Such a simple mod....and it works so good.

Last edited by ZUK; 08-11-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking good guys!

Gotta love the flex (before the mod, the bumper would....NOT be parallel to the ground in this pic!):

Old 08-11-2010, 06:03 PM

Hey Zuk! Great to have you on the thread named after you again! lolol.

Hey JC, sweet! I remember commenting on your thread, ... Nice Job!

Phil ma'man! haha. How are you, sir? I was looking at tires, recently, and I've decided to go 1" on the Torsion bars and be done with it. I can go to 15" from top of rim to top of fender, considering I have the Manual hubs now... but I think it will be perfectly level with around an inch.

Far as the tires, I've pretty much decided on the BFG 33x10.50x15's. I was going to go with the MT's, but I've just so enjoyed having the nearly 100K out of the AT 31's!!!! I was looking at the Treadwrights, but by the time I ship them here, have them installed and so on, ..I'd only be saving around 200$.... not sure I could sleep right not knowing, and the Guard Dogs are MT's that they make.....and they don't make a 33x10.50x15 at Treadwright... SOooooo, I guess I have to be practical and get the tire that will get me there and back and last the longest. If I get another project toy, more for crazy wheelin, ...well, then i'll go with the 33x10.50 MT's for that one.

Off to finish dinner! DANG, I'm gonna have to rush! ahahaha

L8r T8r's!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey Chef - been great - really enjoying the summer with the top off the truck (amazing how the exhaust smell that you get with the rear window down totally disappears when the topper is off....).

I have 32" BFG ATs and have had them for 6 years and ~25,000 miles - they look new still! Lots of tread left and no issues.

Looking forward to what you end up with!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks Phil.... I guess I just have to make up my mind, eh? lol. .... Honestly? IT'S LIKE A KID ON CHRISTMAS .....except, at 41, I now am VERY AWARE that these toys cost LOTS OF CABBAGE! hahaha. I was surprised that my Buddy who owns a tire store didn't have anything bad to say about Treadwright. Not surprised, ..just, well, you know. He sells new tires, and could make money off me, hahaha. Anyway, ...he said as long as I go to a total of 15 from Top of rim to Top of wheel well, ...I'm golden, lol(Regarding the 33x10.50x15's.

He was explaining to me that some MT's don't always wear 'FAST'...but they start to develop 'waves' in them, on the tread surface, which cause people to get new before the treads really toooooo low, lol. I have to say, .... Bought these tires with 156K on the truck.... I now have 258K and counting, and they're still 30% there. He was really shocked, actually, but he knows that I spent like 20K of that driving in the countryside, on dirt roads, ....so I guess they'd wear a lil slower for 20% of the use I put on them, lol.

I guess I should start a thread for this subject... But really, I need to just make up my mind, because, well, ......'SO MANY DIFFERENT OPINIONS!' HAHAHA.

GREAT to hear from ya, Phil.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 PM

Man i wish i woulda had a torch to heat up the metal on mine with. I spent a looong time trying to pound it out with a BFH and no heat
Old 08-11-2010, 09:47 PM

Oh yeah, 95... it was CAKE! Took us an hour from start to finish cuz of that torch! Not to mention the Torch and Diablo Blades, lol. Really like your truck man. I've been looking for one that clean.....but people are HIGH with what they're asking. Trying to find that body with the 3.4... the last year of those, right? 96? Anyway, nice to meet ya!
Old 08-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i believe his is a 3rd gen pickup...3.4 didn't come around until the 95.5 Taco's

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...