Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
StormTrooper;

89 4Runner? And, take a measurement like I've posted in the beginning as to "top of wheel well to top of rim" and post it up... might help to help you decide. From the looks, the leafs are about flat, ....and in my case, the 12"x125# coils provided around 2.5" lift and totally took the 'flat' out of the leafs... But I still had a LIL rake. Many don't mind a lil rake, including Zuk, especially if you're carrying loads a lot. I went with 1.5" bj spacers and relaxed the Torsion bars... Wound up perfectly level that way. I could always put in taller 14"x100# coils if I ever lift it more up front... But I doubt I will... I like where it sits and for anything this isn't capable of I'll have to start another rig build with a SFAxle.

Mitchell.... They make "pipes welded to plates" that could fit in there. You'd have to find the right size, but that would work. I would just get new bump stops, for 2 reasons. Personally, I might some day put in a nice leaf pack and SAS or something.... They'll be there when I need em for it if I do. 2, they'll work for this mod and you'd be on your way. Gotta be a yard near you that's got some bump stops... Otherwise, if you're a welder/know one, you're half way there already! lol.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Mitchell12
I can weld and fabricate, it won't look pretty though lol. I tried finding the bump stops at the Junk yards but they all are either missing or the little tabs are broken off. I think I might have to go the tube with plate option. Is there any functional downside to this?

Thanks!
I wouldn't think so... Rather, I'm pretty sure it would ENSURE that the bottom side of the coil would be TOTALLY secure..... I would just avoid making the tube too tall.... Just make sure the tube you use isn't taller than the compressed height of the springs and you'll be fine

MOST guys do that pipe/tab trick on the top, not the bottom... they cut out the stop tower all together and weld that in. Not too hard to find 2" pipe, right?(maybe the ID is different, just an example, lol)... But I'm not sure on the bottom thing... might just want to ask Zuk or another Suspension guy what they think... I mean... Might want to use a layer of HD neoprene, cut out on top of the tab portion, as the orig. sits on rubber ended stops, right? Not sure if that matters or not, that's why I said maybe fish a lil more?
Old 04-13-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 670 Likes on 459 Posts
Originally Posted by Mitchell12
I'm looking to do the Zuk mod but I'm missing the bottom bumpstops on the leafspring.?
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
StormTrooper;
Mitchell.... They make "pipes welded to plates" that could fit in there.....
Yes, Round pipe like these ones

ChefYota4x4,
I agree with your earlier post; I could put OME's there but I just got teh truck so I want to make sure about the drivetrain and engine first before spending too much on the suspension.

Looks like I could use the12-inch, 125# springs, too- What do you think?
Here's how mine looks right now:

Bottom of chrome trim on Rear fender 10.125" from wheel

Bottom of chrome trim on Front fender 10.75" from wheel

Do you think I would still need to torque torsion bar?

Happy Friday!

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 04-13-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM

You look like you'd be fine with the 12" coils, Mr. Rad! lol... Odd, ... you have 10.75 on that measurement and you don't have more sag than that? I guess that's about right... I'd have to look at my pics.

The measurement up front, stock, is around 14.50", IIRC(Roger/4Crawler showed me all this, just can't remember where). Either way, front well to top of rim should be 1.5" taller than the rear measurement at the same place, as the front wells are cut out higher, toward the hood. (Make sense?) But, seeing your measurement at front and rear of body line... that will change as you lift the rear, but should even lift the front measurement 1/4" since it's not further forward(geometry flashback... but missing components, I KNOW, i know, lol).... You might have a lil rake, but nothing dramatic, and a lil rake is better than SAG from hell!lol... If you tighten them up too much up front, you'll wind up with a stiffer ride and less flex(IFS woes, lol... No matter how much you loosen those, they wont flex to stuff! They're just not designed for stuffing the wheel in the fender... And, when you go too soft, you also get this VICIOUS bounce like a Lowrider in action! lol).

The 125# ers are a lil stiffer than the 100#x14" ones I've seen... but those lift you 3+ "s... and I don't want to go up any more in the front... So until they make a 13"x100# coil... I'm good, lol. I also have Rancho 5000's... they're stiff as a board... so that might help when I change those out too... I've seen lots say their 125# coils don't ride hard at all.. so it must be my set up in one way or another, ya know?

Nice clean rig, Rad Best wishes
Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
StormTrooper;

89 4Runner? And, take a measurement like I've posted in the beginning as to "top of wheel well to top of rim" and post it up... might help to help you decide. From the looks, the leafs are about flat, ....and in my case, the 12"x125# coils provided around 2.5" lift and totally took the 'flat' out of the leafs... But I still had a LIL rake. Many don't mind a lil rake, including Zuk, especially if you're carrying loads a lot. I went with 1.5" bj spacers and relaxed the Torsion bars... Wound up perfectly level that way. I could always put in taller 14"x100# coils if I ever lift it more up front... But I doubt I will... I like where it sits and for anything this isn't capable of I'll have to start another rig build with a SFAxle.

Ya my runner is an 89, from the top of the rim to the top wheel well I got a measurement of 10 1/2 inches on driver side and 11 inches on passenger side. I don't mind a little rake and I do plan on butting on 33x12.50's in the near future.

Thanks
Old 04-22-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
IMO lifting the weight of the truck up off the springs premoted axle rap. I tried this with those cheesy coil spring helpers that clamp on to your shocks. Picked up the rear 2''. Toyota pickup rear springs are terrible if the whole weight of the truck isn't on them. Theres mass movement because the overload does all the work as far as controlling the axle rap. And the main springs are lifted off of the overload. This is a bandaid IMO.

Get new springs. Its just as much work, and when all said and done the same $$. Or go F-150 springs and have a lifted smooth ride with no axle rap.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM

F-150 ... leaf pack? Or do they have a Coil? Sorry, I'm unfamiliar with the F-150 Mod/what year, etc. Could you elaborate? Thanks, Thatguy.

PS> I have NO issue with your not liking this, lol... I'm always looking to imrpove things. To be honest, I DID do this as temporary, but it's worked fairly well for a while... so I left it(until I can do the leaf pack right, the first time and for LONG time fix). But I do think 70$ total cost for me has to be cheaper than a leaf pack, right? I didn't like the AAL so much on my other ride... Like this a lil better as far as load capacity and ride quality.. Anyway, just speaking out loud, always trying to learn, ya know? You look to have a BEAST in that ID pic!!! lol. I gotta take some closer looks at that thing!
Old 04-22-2012, 08:00 PM

Im with ya on cost. Was mostly just bashing the mod, not you.
Atleast your aware of what it is. Some people think its the only way to go lol.

Hey I've used aluminum blocks, cheesy shock spring helpers, and cranked torsion bars. Im guilty as charged. But through all that junk I've noticed mostly that the yota rears are junk, especially when fatigued. They especially don't like "outside help", like helper springs. There like an old man who's in a wheel chair, won't let you help him but he can't get over a bump by himself.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:04 PM

Oh right, F-150 springs, theres lots of stuff on these. Even on your year toy. I recently put them on my tacoma. https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/m...-stuff-251299/
Old 04-22-2012, 08:25 PM

Ahh, ok....

Yeah, I don't think it's 'the only way to go'.... but it has worked great for me in the mean time. The thing is, even wheeling pretty hard while out at Body Beach in Havasu... it rode really smooth on some traversing mogul/45* upgrade hill riding. Plus, it really did nice on a couple trips with 500+# in the back. For what I've needed them for, for now, they've done pretty well. (But I think MAYBE I should have gone with 14"x100#... Still have to figure out if it's hanger length, wrong Rancho-5000 shocks in the rear, etc., contributing to a lil stiff on the bumps ride).

I relaxed the T-bars with BJ spacers/Mega Travel Downey BJ's and all new OEM Suspension parts and it's a 'decent' ride, for all around use/Not serious rock climbing or anything, but does pretty well up front wheeling as well.

Someone told me about adding a full size Chevy Leaf/Cut to fit, to bring the stock pack back to life. He's done it to a few of his projects and it allowed a very nice ride/more flex with longer hangers and proper shocks...

I wouldn't steer mostly DD'ers or moderate/occasional wheelers away from the thread mod, only cuz it's been ok for me.

BUT, I have to ask ..... when one experiences wrap... does it pull to one side in the rear like it's a high powered hot rod jack knifing in a rear on a high rpm shift(not quite that dramatic, but you know what I'm saying, hopefully, lol)???? I notice that on occasion... But that was also occurring just after my Locker install, too. So not too sure.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:01 PM

You look like you'd be fine with the 12" coils, Mr. Rad! ...Nice clean rig, Rad Best wishes
Thanks a lot, ChefYota4x4! Best regards.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:48 AM

Just tackled this project tonight, I might have went a little overboard on the spring(5" OD x 13" - 125#) but nothing a set of BJ spacers couldn't handle to even it out I would think. Next to the Tires/Rims I picked up for next to nothing this is probably the best mod & I should have done it when I first bought my 4runner! Ride quality is 100% better and looks amazing. Thanks!

Before:

After:

Last edited by 89StormTrooper; 04-29-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by 89StormTrooper
Just tackled this project tonight, I might have went a little overboard on the spring(5" OD x 13" - 125#) but nothing a set of BJ spacers couldn't handle to even it out I would think. Next to the Tires/Rims I picked up for next to nothing this is probably the best mod & I should have done it when I first bought my 4runner! Ride quality is 100% better and looks amazing. Thanks!

Is it just me or does the way his springs rest on the U bolts scare you too??
Old 04-29-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by worshipmentor
Is it just me or does the way his springs rest on the U bolts scare you too??
That's probably the only thing that worries me about it, I checked out a few other setups that used the same 5" OD spring as I did and theirs rest the same way. I may have to consider re-doing it though

Last edited by 89StormTrooper; 04-29-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm has anybody done the ZUK mod on the front? Of course on a SA. I have about an inch of space between my bump stops and the frame in the front. It doesn't feel good when I hit a bump lol! And yes I'm a poor high school sophmore so I'm not going to re arch my leafs or get a new pack.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 AM

Sup 85? >>>>>>

Originally Posted by '85 Yota
Hmm has anybody done the ZUK mod on the front? Of course on a SA. I have about an inch of space between my bump stops and the frame in the front. It doesn't feel good when I hit a bump lol! And yes I'm a poor high school sophmore so I'm not going to re arch my leafs or get a new pack.
OK; This HAS been discussed, regarding the coil up front.... BUT, I can't be sure if it was within my thread or Philberts or another. I'm sure that if it's possible, you could find that answer on the Zuk Site, www.gearinstalls.com .... He was discussing it with a couple different people... As I said, can't remember where. BUT, on his site, toward the bottom/left, where all the links are, you can probably find that question answered.

I've heard of guys adding a medium length leaf to the pack of their SFA 84-85's, from rigs with the same 2.25" Width Leaf Packs. You could probably grab 2 sufficient leafs from the yard for 20-30$ or so, remove your pack and open it up and slap another leaf in there, then 'wrap' them again.... I KNOW I've read of guys doing this, but you'll have to search a bit. I just, as as a matter of fact, read this the other day. Again, I've been reading sooooooo much lately, on brake upgrades, etc., that my brain is like spaghetti soup atm, .. so I couldn't tell you where, lol. I believe someone who added a new leaf pack recently removed one of them, to get it back out of the lower atmosphere, lol..... Jonnyboy, I believe. So, if you go through his build, toward the end, you'll see how he opened it up and removed one(Actually, I think he may have removed one of the 2 overloads in the marlin pack and put in a stock leaf from the original pack on the top or bottom????)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks I do some searching. And some more searching. And then I search more after that! I've been coming obsessed with my truck and this site. Its all I wanna do lol. Already planned what I'm going to do to my truck. Just learning as much as I can as quick as I can!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:01 PM

hey chef i got a question for you i have a taco that has blocks in the back and i am wanting to do this but i was wondering how much your coils compressed once there all the way installed... you bought 12 in. 125# springs so im sure they aren't still 12in tall probably more like 9in. now that there in. but this would really help me out so i know what length of spring i will need to acquire the same ride height i have right now i will be getting 125# as well so they will compress about the same amount as yours. for example if they compress 4in. once installed and i need 8in. between the axle and frame then i know ill need to get the 12in. coils
Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by courtgordon
hey chef i got a question for you i have a taco that has blocks in the back and i am wanting to do this but i was wondering how much your coils compressed once there all the way installed... you bought 12 in. 125# springs so im sure they aren't still 12in tall probably more like 9in. now that there in. but this would really help me out so i know what length of spring i will need to acquire the same ride height i have right now i will be getting 125# as well so they will compress about the same amount as yours. for example if they compress 4in. once installed and i need 8in. between the axle and frame then i know ill need to get the 12in. coils
Good question. I Zuk'd with 12-inch, 125#, too. Will measure when I get to the truck today. However, it may be close but different with a Tacoma because we're taking different truck weight and distribution.
-RAD
Old 03-21-2013, 11:54 PM

Hey court,

I wouldnt know which size is best on the Taco. The pickups of our era have been done plenty... I never remember measuring how much they dropped.... but they were very firm and hardly dropped when loaded decently on top of the added weight of the 4runner in back. My guess would be 12"x100# if u want just a lil over stock (if they make a 100#er). 14"x100# if ur wanting 3.5-4" over saggy butt (another factor u probably dont have)...

I would seek out the multiple threads on zuk's site, www.gearinstalls.com ? They might have a taco-mod write up in there

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...