Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
super nice rig you got there! i got an 88 4runner and I have some rear sag, Im looking to do the ZUK mod but i noticed that Im missing the cone shaped bump stop on the bottom that you mount the coil on, if you can tell me whats that called or where I can get one thatd be awesome!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey 88........

Those are the bump stop pads..... Not sure of the technical names... Anyway, I see them on these at the yards all the time..... No one wants the saggy springs, to they usually stay on there for a bit. I'd try that...CAREFULLY! lol.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:12 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by hrt4me
My own Gen1 '85 T4R currently sits with a moderate lift, yet neither the front nor the rear seems to actually be sagging much:
.................................................. ....
But all four of the leaf spring packs seem to be pretty much bottomed out and are basically sitting flat on their respective overload springs (during daylight hours tomorrow I will take additional photographs depicting this)...

So even though my '85 T4R does not currently seem to really exhibit any sag, should I nevertheless consider the ZUK mod due to the relatively flat leaf spring packs bottomed out on the overload springs (and for the potentially smoother ride)?

Does anyone ever do the ZUK mod in the front? or only in the rear?

What, if any, are other potential considerations for my moderately lifted '85 T4R with respect to the ZUK mod (versus a stock, non-lifted T4R)?

Finally, I presume I would use the 14" coil spring - but which weight do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
I'd be curious why your 85 Runner is not sagging like all the others. It's possble that your ride could get much softer with a pair of coils. Sounds like you might have an aftermarket rear pack and one of the leafs might have to be removed and either 12" or 14" x 125 coils added to get the lift back plus more. This will probably lift the rear quite a bit. Might have to install some 1.5" ball joint spacers to offset this. The rear should ride softer for sure if what you say is the case about the leafs on the overload.

Coil or coils in the front? There is a space problem. I bet it can be done but it would require advanced fab skills. It might involve a coil more towards the inside of the frame rails....or possibly 1 center coil with a custom cross brace for load bearing close to the oil pan.

Looking forward to seeing more pics

Last edited by ZUK; 01-05-2012 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 PM

where are you guys finding these coils? does 4 or 5in diameter work best?
Old 01-15-2012, 12:36 PM

Hey Jason..... I'm fairly certain that I posted the link/name, etc., of the place to get them. They're on Ebay(Motors?).... and they're Black Magic Springs by, I THINK, Southwest Speed. They sent me a catalog, just can't see it right now.

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 01-15-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
The company who makes the coils is Southwest Speed, and the name is "Black Magic Springs". They gave a NICE catalog with the coils, and I figured, if Zuk trusts them, and Philbert is loving them(as well as many others), ...why not! hahaha. I can always undo this and go with a larger lift, armor, etc., later on. For now, I'm going to just enjoy my rig for the rest of the summer, GRRRRRRR! lol. Still have a couple kinks to work out in my thread in yellow, below in my signature...but IT'S COMING ALONG!

Thanks Yotatech, and thanks, Zuk, Philbert, and everyone else who's been inspiring, egging, razzing and prodding me along in the last 3 months since I started.

Mark
Within the first couple posts of the thread.......>>>> First page.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:43 AM

Ok, I know this is an old but VERY well viewed thread but I have a question for ZUK, Chef and the gang.......
I have seen 2 versions of this mod, 1 where they do what Chef did with the 2 1/2" racing coils you listed on eBay (and cutting the top bump-stop) and another one where they use a TJ spring (which one????) that requires no cutting except the spring top.
Are there advantages/disadvantages to either? I've got an 87 xtra cab 4x4 that is down on the overloads and rides like a buck-board! Clearance isnt an issue for me, I run 235 75 15's, but weight carrying is. I load it with construction materials and often pull a trailer. My thought is that if I get too much lift on the rear I can crank the torsion bars a bit adjust the rake.
Thanks in advance you guys, this thread and YOTATECH in general ROCK!!!!! I would have had to junk mine years back without this sites GREAT info!!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 02:11 PM

I really like this idea!!! Has anyone used it with 63 chevy's? im running the 63's with a 4" shackle to match the stock front susp? ive got a 4" front lift with 5" front shackles coming form trail gear. i want to try to keep my shackles around 6" in the rear and i think this mod will work awesome to "push" the rear up the rest of the way to match the front and keep it level. Will this work? maybe 14" springs @100lbs? something like that?
Old 03-03-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by worshipmentor
Ok, I know this is an old but VERY well viewed thread but I have a question for ZUK, Chef and the gang.......
I have seen 2 versions of this mod, 1 where they do what Chef did with the 2 1/2" racing coils you listed on eBay (and cutting the top bump-stop) and another one where they use a TJ spring (which one????) that requires no cutting except the spring top.
Are there advantages/disadvantages to either? I've got an 87 xtra cab 4x4 that is down on the overloads and rides like a buck-board! Clearance isnt an issue for me, I run 235 75 15's, but weight carrying is. I load it with construction materials and often pull a trailer. My thought is that if I get too much lift on the rear I can crank the torsion bars a bit adjust the rake.
Thanks in advance you guys, this thread and YOTATECH in general ROCK!!!!! I would have had to junk mine years back without this sites GREAT info!!!!
Hey WorshipMentor, .....

There are probably benefits to each...... Some simply prefer the TJ method because there's no cutting. I've mentioned I don't really care about that because i think it's gotta be one of the simplest things to resolve.... Weld the plate you cut back on? I notice that the TJ coils are wider and each wrap is spaced further apart....I'm not sure how this would effect it... I think it's more about 'load capacity and ability to compress/stretch'..... You've seen pics of mine, stretched out pretty well and able to go more, actually. That's with 12" coils, which even nearing full droop are still in the Bump Towers, as you can see. I'm not sure if the TJ's would be risking coming OFF the towers with that same application.... You'd have to ask those that are using and pushing them to their limits. I also like the "INSIDE" the tower method, therein, because even if it's beginning to come off the frame(which, when on a lift, it does around 1/2")....its' still inside of there for another 3.5" or so, at least.... The way I heated the furthest back arm of the tower and bent it back, the coil JUST fits in there,...it's NOT slopping around in any way. It's also making NO noise, which I've heard others have(squeaking? lol)... EITHER way you do it, you CAN mount/fix them, semi-permanently to the top and even the bottom positions using plates/brackets(I think someone posted an example in this thread, somewhere.) That's up to you.... I chose not to, as I want to be able to re-use the towers again for the purpose of adding a cut-Chevy leaf or different leaf pack or whatever.... should I choose to(I know, I could just weld some 4x4 box pip on there and have the same effect... Guess I'm just wanting to keep it in tact for multiple options).

^^^Probably not much help....but I'm sure Zuk or someone will have a more technical answer... I just thought it was a good question and figured I'd "think out loud"?? haha.

Originally Posted by 82shorty
I really like this idea!!! Has anyone used it with 63 chevy's? im running the 63's with a 4" shackle to match the stock front susp? ive got a 4" front lift with 5" front shackles coming form trail gear. i want to try to keep my shackles around 6" in the rear and i think this mod will work awesome to "push" the rear up the rest of the way to match the front and keep it level. Will this work? maybe 14" springs @100lbs? something like that?
Another one I'd leave to Zuk or another guru like him.... I would GUESS that a disadvantage in this would be limiting flex, especially if you didn't have tall enough/too tall of ones in. I've read guys talking about adding them in the Center, etc., etc., ... And I don't see why it wouldn't help you add load capacity, etc., .... just not sure on the 'quantity of flex' or otherwise you might "LOSE" by doing so.

I've been entertaining adding a Chevy full size truck, single spring into my original pack..... I KNOW of a guy who's done it, I'm just trying to get him over here to lend his nugget power to the discussion! lol.... he said, "There are Chevy springs that are the same width and only longer.... they have to be cut to fit, then simply mounted on top of your pack, after opening up the retainer and bending it back over the added spring. This way, you don't lose flex as you do with 'AAL's'... And you get tons of arch back in your leaf pack, a softer ride and a lot more flex... you just have to compensate in the rear shock arena to avoid limitations of flex, either stuff or droop"...... As I said, I need HIM to explain it, hahaha. But it pretty much makes sense to me. This would probably mean I would remove the Zuk Coil all together, and for sure just to test it out, see what it's limitations/benefits are, standing alone.

Good to see the thread is still alive.... Someone mentioned it's visited a bit, ..... that's cool! lol.

I still stand by this mod as a quick/for some permanent fix for many applications/fixing a saggy rear/load bearing/avoiding buying another leaf pack that might not last long, etc., etc..... it's VERY easy to undo if someone wanted to and not really a wallet buster, ya know?
Old 03-05-2012, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the reply CHEF, I already was thinking the same things you mentioned so I'm glad to hear you voice them. I will order a set of the 14" 100lb springs (it's a pickup with a fiberglas replacement bed) and maybe put them on the following week! This trucks rear has been sagging SOOOO long and riding SOOOO hard that I will think I have a new truck!!!!
BTW: The dinner you showed a pic of a few pages back on this thread looks like THE BOMB!!!! I fancy myself an ameture cook (translated "KITCHEN HACK THAT WATCHES THE FOOD NETWORK") and I think it's cool that a REAL Chef is a yotahead!! HAHA!
Looking forward to the project!

87 Xtra cab 4x4....BUILT not BOUGHT! lol
Old 03-05-2012, 08:37 PM

My pleasure, bud! I hear ya on the 'Foodie' endeavor.... It's a pretty common thing now... and rather than being bothered by it, like many cooks I know, .........I EMBRACE IT! lol.... I mean, it means people are COOKING THEIR OWN FOOD! Whether they're pompous prats or not, it's still, in general, a good thing hahaha.

Enjoy the ride, man! At that price, I mean, c'mon, right? It's an easy mod that you can always reverse by welding back on the plates you cut off at the very ends. Don't forget you need a torch to heat up the one tower and bang on with a BFH! lol. Be VERY careful installing them, they can be deadly projectiles if you have at it halfheartedly, ya feel me?

You're doing 14"ers, which has me curious... You're running stock height in the front? That's gonna give you some pretty decent rake, man, flattened out rear leaf pack or not, if it's stock up front. If you don't mind that, go at it! lol. If you have 2" lift or more up front, it wont be so bad....but it'd still have a lil rake. Philbert has a 3-4" lift and he came about level with those 14"ers... I run the 12"x125# coils in the rear with a 2" lift and T-bars relaxed as much as possible without being a trampoline.... and it's sitting level....

......think about that, k?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:01 PM

Well..........
I was just going by what I THOUGHT I read on here that most suggested the 14" 100lbs for the pickup and 12" 125lbs for the runner (more rear weight in the runner they said). I planned on cranking the torsion bars up a bit too but I run 50/50 loaded and empty so MAYBE your advice is warranted and I should look at the 12" 125's. don't want to look like a 60's drag car ya know! lol
Thanks for the thoughts.........:-)
Old 03-05-2012, 10:31 PM

Pop a post up here for Zuk... I'm not really sure on the Pick Ups.... I would think 14" coils would lift the PU even more, wouldn't they? I mean, mine has more weight in the back.... so 14"ers would not lift mine as much as yours, .......I would think.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 AM

Well Chef, I did a "jack up the back and check the suspension at full travel" thing and I have about 12.5" between the top of the U bolts and the frame under the upper stop. That being said, I am REALLY thinking a set of the lighter but longer 14" 100lb ones would be best. Even at full extention like that I only had about 2.5" more between the rim and fender lip on the front compared to the back so the rake shouldn't be too bad even if it STAYED at full extention under load (i know it won't).
That project will have to be on hold a couple weeks as I just found out my head agsket is blown. I will start it tomorrow when my son and his buddy finish connecting the engine in his Honda Civic. Dont want 2 dead vehicles in the garage! lol
Old 03-08-2012, 10:17 AM

Dang, that sux, WM........

Hmmmm, ... did you jack it up to 'LEVEL' and measure???? Anyway, if that's the case, as you said, it sounds like you MIGHT get the compression you want on it and level it out pretty good... But I seem to remember that the PU's are usually raked if they are stock up front and go with 14's... Couldn't find another similar truck in here or Philberts thread? Just want you to be sure you're getting the right one....

Best wishes on a quick repair/back on the road status, pertaining to the HG!
Old 03-08-2012, 05:14 PM

Dang, that sux, WM........

Hmmmm, ... did you jack it up to 'LEVEL' and measure???? Anyway, if that's the case, as you said, it sounds like you MIGHT get the compression you want on it and level it out pretty good... But I seem to remember that the PU's are usually raked if they are stock up front and go with 14's... Couldn't find another similar truck in here or Philberts thread? Just want you to be sure you're getting the right one....

Best wishes on a quick repair/back on the road status, pertaining to the HG!
LOL!!!!!
I checked with ZUK and he agreed with me that the 14's @ 100psi is the best for me.
Thanks for all your help though! I'll let you know how the HG goes!
Old 03-09-2012, 11:01 AM

PS> LOOK AT THIS THING!!!!!!!!!

Sickkk truck wish you could get them round here
Old 03-22-2012, 06:19 PM

Thumbs up

Not only did my HG job go well (except the part where 2 stud holes in the stock manifold STRIPPED OUT and I had to replace it) and it runs great AGAIN........
I bought a REALLY COOL Excaliber Hi rise cap for my truck AND did a ZUK mod using the 14" 100psi springs. ZUK took about 45mins total! Best Mod on the planet I got an honest 3.75" of lift in the rear and I now have a slight rake when it's empty. The ride is primo and the truck suspension actually articulates
The cap will have many more upgrades but for now I took out the cheesey single 1156 bulbed light and added 2 12volt 20watt under cabinet kitchen lights. I wired them in to the feed for the bed light (that got covered up with the nice fitting boot between the cab & cap).
Can't wait to put a load on it tomorrow and see how she does.
I'll post pics then too!

Before:

After:

@ Lowes with about 400-500 lbs at the back of the bed:
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...r/37a41ad8.jpg
Measurement before:
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...r/63e51c4f.jpg
Measurement after:
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/...r/6b5c8202.jpg

Last edited by worshipmentor; 03-23-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 PM

SUWEEEEEEEET! LOL ....... Glad it worked out for ya, man!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 AM

really want to do this mod but I'm undecided on which length spring to get....here's how close my stops are at the moment.

Last edited by 89StormTrooper; 04-13-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...