Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I swear I posted this earlier today....

Before

After (with Blazeland front arms, etc.)
125# x 14" springs. Could use new shackles, but they're not quite straight when sitting.

Want some tips on installing? Check out the 'Zuk post out of my build thread. I did the passenger side in about 20-25 minutes after figuring it out.

Old 08-15-2011, 12:05 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Couple pics for ya from today, Zuk....

Sorry, cell phone pics, but they work, lol.....

Up on a tree stump portion, bout a foot, still could have stuffed/drooped plenty more, but ran out of stump.... Amazing how hard it is to find something to articulate on when you're LOOKING! lol............

Old 08-15-2011, 04:14 PM

Did another set of cell phone flex shots, today, on a rock around 18" or so..... Figured out why the front tires wont stuff.... THE SHOCKS bottom out, so I think it's too much resistance of the upper arm/torsion bars that's keeping it from stuffing further up in there. It's not the Bj's, they STILL HAVE ROOM, those Mega Travels! I might be missing something other than the shocks(fill me in all you want, I'm not proud! Lol).... Here's some pics, lil moreeeeee example of the Zuks and they're capability of 'stuffing'/'drooping' without drama or coils coming out(notice you can see that the driver side coil is visible...and not FULLY compressed, either).... Plus all 4 are planted(tires) and even the front, with it up pretty decent, driver side tire is almost FULLY still on the ground... All the tread is anyhow...just a lil angle. BTW, it's pretty level in the cab/body, too.... I TOTALLY see the difference in the IFS Mod's/restore/Zuks! >>>>

Whatcha guys think? if I can get the shock set up just right(with the OMEmu fronts that came in the mail... maybe they have a lil longer travel?)... I think I can maximize travel without any issue. The CV's didn't lock up at all at this angle(I'll get MUCH better pics than this with front and rear flexing in opposite directions, etc., asap... Just working with what I got, sorry guys ) ... And the pics will be of CV angles, Upper Mega Travel Ball Joint Travel compared to stock of my buddies(we're working it out on a time, lol).... and Shock travel/stop limits, etc. I hope this helps someone in some way.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:39 PM

Swaybar. Check out my lame flex before any mods:
http://1stgentoy.blogspot.com/2011/0...-starting.html
Old 08-15-2011, 05:36 PM

My sway bar is out, and I don't think that flex is too bad that I just posted, no? I just can't get it to it's full example on the street around here... that's the only stationary rock I could find on the whole block! lol. I will try a lot near by...

I think my bump stops are part of it as well, regarding stuff.

BTW, love the turbo-beauty! lol.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:42 PM

Here are a couple of after pics
Is that air under the front tire? Why YES, yes it is.

Front stretch (Blazeland, no swaybar)

Flex - the rear tire doesn't go in quite as far as before, but the coil is not fully compressed either. Notice how flat it still is. I picked the right spring. Through an educated guess, but a guess nevertheless!

The rear tire is just barely touching the ground

Rear flex after 'Zuk mod

Streeeeetch!

Last edited by edeslaur; 08-15-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:47 PM

I was able to compress the spring another inch or two by leaning on the rear bumper, but you can see the 14" spring reduces compression compared to the stock bumpstop/leaf. BUT... about the same as, or less than, a set of lift blocks, and with a far, far better ride.

Last edited by edeslaur; 08-15-2011 at 09:09 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:54 PM

I think my 12"x125# springs allow a LIL bit more compression.... I can tell by your pic... but not much, maybe .75-1"? Still, I need to get out and find a spot to test it out right lol.

Thanks for the pics... and btw, that's a Blazeland kit? Not the Long travel one like Moze has, ...but the Uniball one or something? Or you mean blazeland Sway bar quick disconnect? Sorry, I'm still learning, lol.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:58 PM

It's a long travel kit. It definitely rides mo' betta, and flexes better too. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Gonna need fenders tho, or some serious surgery... I'll have to find a better place to flex it with the wheels turned and see by how much... I want to see if I can save the expense of 'glass fenders.
http://www.blazeland.us/Page_3.html

Here's my build thread
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 PM

For those interested, I've put together a before and after flexing photo montage on my blog.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:11 PM

OOOOH, that's some sexy flexy's! lol. Yeah, now I know that stuff... I was thinking of .... DANGIT, that's right, Moze has "Total Chaos"... which is more Tubey, right? lol. Love his fenders, .. maybe you could steal his welder and get all crazy flexy after one of his tube fenders? lol.

Nice rig, ED... loooks great! Great practical IFS-Purchase there!
Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Chef-
Would that Zuk mod work for a truck? Mine doesn't sag but do load it when I use it. Figure if would might do it
Old 10-03-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by dsal_86Yota
Chef-
Would that Zuk mod work for a truck? Mine doesn't sag but do load it when I use it. Figure if would might do it
Hey Dsal, ...

I wouldn't see why not, as long as you have a Leaf Spring Rear End. Just keep in mind that when you add this coil, it's GOING TO lift up the rear end('how much' is totally dependent upon which size 'coil' you put in, ya know?)

Are you working with a stock height truck? If so, and you ONLY need this for load at this point, You could probably do just fine with the same coil I used, ........ 12"x125#.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes you can, but you'll likely want to use "smaller" springs than the 125# variety that most 4runner guys are running, since the 4runners have more weight in the back already...otherwise you'll get the "raked" look on your truck. Search around, there are examples with trucks.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:02 PM

thanks guys. Im gonna do a SAS first and put prob 4" lift under it and prob run 35s. Thinking of Zuk mostly for when I load stuff in the bed.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:43 PM

would my Gen1 '85 T4R be a viable platform for the ZUK mod?

My own Gen1 '85 T4R currently sits with a moderate lift, yet neither the front nor the rear seems to actually be sagging much:

But all four of the leaf spring packs seem to be pretty much bottomed out and are basically sitting flat on their respective overload springs (during daylight hours tomorrow I will take additional photographs depicting this)...

So even though my '85 T4R does not currently seem to really exhibit any sag, should I nevertheless consider the ZUK mod due to the relatively flat leaf spring packs bottomed out on the overload springs (and for the potentially smoother ride)?

Does anyone ever do the ZUK mod in the front? or only in the rear?

What, if any, are other potential considerations for my moderately lifted '85 T4R with respect to the ZUK mod (versus a stock, non-lifted T4R)?

Finally, I presume I would use the 14" coil spring - but which weight do you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-23-2011, 06:57 PM

I'm curious to see the pics, man.......... It looks raked already. The front should measure, from top of rim to top of wheel well, 14.5" stock. The rear, 12" or so. The front is factory cut out more up front... You can see that if you look at the line down the door in comparison to where it winds up if you just use it as a stencil and draw the line straight across the wheel well over the tire. See how much higher cut out the front one is when you do that? It looks to me that you still have some decent arch in that rear pack.... I'll wait for the pics to prove me wrong, lol.

Do you have blocks in the rear? I mean,...you must have that or something, as when mine went flat, there was only around 2" of clearance from the top of tire to top of wheel well(10.50" from top of rim to top of wheel well).

What type lift up front? I'm guessing bj spacers with the t-bars all the way relaxed?

Fill us in and we'll go from there. Zuk is subscribed to this thread... so he WILL, most likely, stop by and comment on the "Zuks in the front" question.(Having a leaf pack up there, I GUESS it might be possible... but I'd leave that to him, the expert. lol.

Nice rig, HRT4ME!
Old 10-23-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
I'm curious to see the pics, man.......... It looks raked already. The front should measure, from top of rim to top of wheel well, 14.5" stock. The rear, 12" or so. The front is factory cut out more up front... You can see that if you look at the line down the door in comparison to where it winds up if you just use it as a stencil and draw the line straight across the wheel well over the tire. See how much higher cut out the front one is when you do that? It looks to me that you still have some decent arch in that rear pack.... I'll wait for the pics to prove me wrong, lol.

Do you have blocks in the rear? I mean,...you must have that or something, as when mine went flat, there was only around 2" of clearance from the top of tire to top of wheel well(10.50" from top of rim to top of wheel well).

What type lift up front? I'm guessing bj spacers with the t-bars all the way relaxed?

Fill us in and we'll go from there. Zuk is subscribed to this thread... so he WILL, most likely, stop by and comment on the "Zuks in the front" question.(Having a leaf pack up there, I GUESS it might be possible... but I'd leave that to him, the expert. lol.

Nice rig, HRT4ME!
I'll have to take pics and let you guys tell me whether I have blocks in the rear... I just don't know...

I bought this '85 4Runner as is and am just starting to learn about it and things I can work on to improve it, as well as various options (a front winch bumper for my Warn M8000 and maybe some sliders). Here is the seller's ad which prompted me to buy it in sunny San Diego and drive it back home to north Texas last month:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-tra...unner-sr5.html
The 4Runner made it from San Diego to Dallas without issue, so I'm confident it is mechanically sound, as the previous owner took great care of it. My priorities are to improve the overall handling (the steering seems loose, and it pulls to the right while braking, which I wish were stronger anyway) and the ride comfort (smoother ride).

The 4Runner is not a daily driver, and I definitely do not plan to do any serious wheeling nor hardcore offroading nor rock crawling, as my primary use for this 4Runner will be to get me off the beaten path to places for other outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, mountain biking, hunting, shooting, fishing, photography, etc. I plan to drive around obstacles (deep mud, large rocks) rather than purposely steer through or over them.

Last edited by hrt4me; 10-24-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:00 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts
Dude. Nice rig. Before others give you a bunch of crap for it..... You need to stop calling a T4R on this site. You can even look up the thread devoted to it.

But seriously, your rig looks awesome. Welcome to YT.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd go with the 125# springs in the back - the 4Runner is heavier than the pickup due to that 200# shell

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...