Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, this thread exploded since I saw it last, lol. I've had all the required parts do this mod for quite a while now, all except one: My fabricator buddie's precious time! lol. So should hopefulyl be doing the mod this Weekend. Pics will be posted on my build thread. Will probably be doing a complete custom weld-on mounting system, my fab buddy knows what hes doin so it should turn out pretty good!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:20 AM

If you make a top mount, the frame can be ground smooth and the upper mount bolted to the frame with 2 bolts with the frame tapped for them. This makes install of the coils a lot easier as you can put the mount in the coil and compress slightly and slide it into location. As with any thing there are good, better, best ways for doing things.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:20 AM

This dude loves his. Check out the load on his truck!

Ok appx 2 weeks until go time. New shocks ordered, locked, regeared 3rds ordered, all the stuff for my front lift ordered.

Link to the buildup thread: BlaZuk!

Last edited by edeslaur; 05-17-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojave_Moze
Wow, this thread exploded since I saw it last, lol. I've had all the required parts do this mod for quite a while now, all except one: My fabricator buddie's precious time! lol. So should hopefulyl be doing the mod this Weekend. Pics will be posted on my build thread. Will probably be doing a complete custom weld-on mounting system, my fab buddy knows what hes doin so it should turn out pretty good!
You'd better share it here, as well, homie! lol... Zuk might come'n'getcha! lol.

Glad to hear, ...hope he does a REALLY nice job!
Old 06-04-2011, 05:47 AM

im looking to take my 89 runner and turn it into a rock crawler. this will be my first conversion i have done so looking for some advice. it has a blown motor 3.0 so want to swap it for what would be best for this. everything on it is stock so im planning on redoing it all. dont want to waste money on brand names or over priced parts but still want a great product. any suggestions?
Old 06-04-2011, 08:47 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Welcome. Its clear you have a plan. I would search your plan out AND take advice from others. Searching would be faster as someone with good advice may be on vacation or something like that. PS swap in a 22re.

Good luck
Old 06-10-2011, 05:41 PM

I just did this mod with Tj springs. See the pics on my build thread:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...-build-236250/
Old 06-14-2011, 11:03 AM

Has anybody on here done the ZUK mod and then cut the back half of the leafs off, kind of a cheap "link" set-up?? Didnt know if it would work, but couldnt figure why it wouldnt????
Old 06-14-2011, 11:29 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by 87 'runner boosted
Has anybody on here done the ZUK mod and then cut the back half of the leafs off, kind of a cheap "link" set-up?? Didnt know if it would work, but couldnt figure why it wouldnt????

Ha! Ya, I thought about it....the only way it could work is to have a trackbar(panhard rod) and the front of the thick overload leaf would have to form fit to the normal arch of the pack and be close-clamped. The coils would need to be secured on both ends. It would certainly be different. No one has ever done this exact thing since recorded time.

I already have the overload close-clamped.....so all I would need to do is fab a track bar and chop the back half off.....and upgrade my particular 100lb/inch coils to 150 or 175's.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...f-leaf-225251/
Old 06-14-2011, 11:50 AM

what consists of building this track bar and whats it purpose??? i tried googling so i could start wrapping my mind around what/how it could work and how to build one. you dont happen to know of any pics or anything out there do you?
Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
trackbar aka panhard keeps the rear end centered (left to right) under the truck. Well tries to anyway.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:41 PM

alright, so here is my theory : if you have install track bars...why have the leaf springs at all?? its basically like have a solid tie rod with adjustments at one end attached to frame and diff right??
Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
trackbar aka panhard is different then control arm aka trailing arm. With the example on hand you would be using the leafs as the trailing/control arm and would just have to fab a panhard.

I don't see it working very well since the leafs aren't exactly ridged even with the overload close clamped, but I could be wrong.

Now what would be interesting is using 2 bud built traction bars and getting rid of the leafs altogether. Almost making it like a 3 link.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:55 PM

Ok, ....so, just for a point of reference for those wondering..... I have 12"x125# coils in the rear, inserted into the upper stops with only the very edge cut off... In the pics, I have 600# in the VERY REAR of Ole Ruby Red...... and it maybeeeeee dropped .5-.75"!

I will be in Lake Havasu, AZ, as I said, ...and this time, I'm going to really try to find a few minutes to get down to the dunes/rocks and get some test pics of some flex... not sure I can, as Pops needs as much time with me and the daughter as possible... but HE DOES SLEEP, AND I HAVE LIGHTS, YA KNOW? hahaha.

Cya L8r, Yotatechies!
Old 08-02-2011, 03:38 AM

Looks good, Chef! I did the exact same thing with 14in 125lb coils, and I've got a slight rake even with 1.5in spacers on the front joints.

I may switch over to add-a-lead or OME down the road to see if I can level it out, but right now it's got the rear off the bumpstops, and that's what counts!
Old 08-02-2011, 07:45 AM
ZUK

[QUOTE=Utah4Runner86;51763501................. 14in 125lb coils, and I've got a slight rake .................................................. .................................................. ...........................................but right now it's got the rear off the bumpstops, and that's what counts![/QUOTE]

well said

ZUK

ps--If you do swap the coil out for an AAL or new pack, I wonder if you will notice a difference in the way your rig handles bumps and loads.....so much so that you might choose to put the coils back in ? Just thinking out loud
Old 08-02-2011, 08:01 AM

Thanks, Phil, and great to hear, man!

Zuk, .... I will ONLY do the leaf pack method when I can do it VERY solid. (OME or Tundra or whatever the kids find is most comfy and flexy and, well, permanent! lol) These things(the 12"x125# coils) have paid for themselves in practicality 3 TIMES OVER! The ride, the weight capacity and, well, that leads me to something else.....

I see many arguing that they LOSE flex compared to the AAL..... But then some saying "They lost almost all their flex with the AAL, maybe I should try this"....... And I suppose it would make a difference how they're mounted, is the right spring length in, right shock length, etc., depending on the amount of lift from them, etc., etc. lol. I plan to at least TRY this week in Havasu to dual/opposing flex test this out. One thing I notice is that, ....with weight in there, even a couple hundred pounds, ...the ride is DEFINITELY nicer. .... but then again, I'm running longer RS5000's..... YEAH, I know, lol. Keeping my eyes open for a set of used or SUPER SALE Procomps or something a lil softer in general....then I'll get an idea.

Anyway, hope you're well, Zuk! How was the vacation(you took an extended one, right?.... or was that Wabbit? hahaha) EEk, sorry, .... just can't remember, lol.
Old 08-02-2011, 02:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't mean to thread jack here but Zuk I was wondering if you could answer this for me. I'm considering (next spring) doing the SAS on my 89 (currently has the Zuk on it) and going with a 3" lift when I do. I'd like to keep the Zuk mod in there with longer coils to help with load capacity, man I carry a LOT of stuff when I go camping and out in the hills.

Thoughts on a coil length? I have the 14" 125lb ones in there now and would probably need something like a 17" coil once the lift is done.

Or is this a bad idea?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:51 PM
ZUK

Not sure exactly what you mean....if you sas it then I guess that means the front will look too high....so you have to add more lift to the rear?

...which is entirely possible to do also. I don't know about 17 inch coils.....I know how nice the 14 x 125 ones seem to ride but I'm not sure about the 17 inch fatter ones out there.
Longer shackles and a spacer to space the coil (your 14" one)out more. Of course, at this point I would recommend spinning the overload 180 degrees and have it professionally bent upwards so you can hard clamp it like I did for my Taco but in your case do not cut the rear half of the springboard off to keep the max load carrying capacity.

Last edited by ZUK; 08-02-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by ZUK
ps--If you do swap the coil out for an AAL or new pack, I wonder if you will notice a difference in the way your rig handles bumps and loads.....so much so that you might choose to put the coils back in ? Just thinking out loud
Dunno yet. If I decide to go that route, I'll let you know if I notice a difference.

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...