Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:12 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
nope the ES9000's are just a nitro charged stiffer shock unlike the gas charged ES3000s. Your thinking of the MX-6 shocks ZUK.
Thanks xxxtreme....Looking forward to Adk_Yota posting some before and after pics. I find that http://photobucket.com makes posting pics real easy.
You're gonna love the ride, Adk_Yota If you cut the upper steel stopper short to about 1" then the coil will drop right in with no heating and torching. If you have the 14" long coil you will find there is no way it can fall out....even with your wheel dropped as far as it will go you will find it will require some thought to squeeze it in place.
Adk_Yota---Could you do me a favor and get a fully extended measurement before you install the coil? I am curious to know with your stock oem set-up exactly what the air gap is where the coil will be living....with the wheel dropped as far as it will go what is the measurement from underside of frame to base of rubber bumper where the coil will be contacting. Is it 12" or maybe 13"? thanks again ZUK

A sawzall is the way to go for cutting the stoppers. A high speed cutting wheel is more dangerous....I've done both and the sawzall wins.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-amp-r...dle-65570.html

....and ChefYota4x4....your thread here is over 10,000 views

Last edited by ZUK; 04-13-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hahahah.... yeah, Zuk, ...well, ....... I guess people find it intriguing? lol. It's worked out for many people, so I'm glad that people are looking, whether commenting or not. Lots of us out here are PINCHING THE BUDGET to the max.... but we still wanna get out there and play! hahaha.

BTW, ....ZAWZALL FTW~! I used a HD one with Diablo Blades, as I said in the first or second post.... LIKE A SHARP KNIFE THROUGH HOT BUTTER, MAN! No kidding.... 1 Minute or so.

Far as cutting off the rails of the upper stop..... I had mine up on a rack in a shop for my tires..... could see at least an inch of hang in the stops... I KNOW, it's not likely that they'd fall out, and SURELY it must be hard with the 14"s in there. I just FEEL more comfortable with the coils riding in a longer channel like I did it, with only the VERY bottom of them(the stop pads) being cut off, then heat up and bend. I think having a lil more stability up top might keep them from flexing side to side, no?

Anyway, always love reading your posts... keep informing the masses, Zuk! Oh, yeah..... AND YOU NEED TO DO GEARS AGAIN! HAHAHAHA, jk, jk. Just that I see that all the time... didn't know that you'd stopped. I'm hopefully getting some 4.30's with a locker in the rear, soon! Should be just enough for my applications, and I CAN'T WAIT, granting it all works out as planned! lol.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This thread definitely got popular. I know I've added a tad here and there. Just shows that this is a great money saving mod for those (like me) on a budget. Of course I'll bet it makes the guys that sell lifted leaf packs a little miffed.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:55 AM
ZUK

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hahahah.... yeah, Zuk, ...well, ....... I guess people find it intriguing? lol. It's worked out for many people, so I'm glad that people are looking, whether commenting or not. Lots of us out here are PINCHING THE BUDGET to the max.... but we still wanna get out there and play! hahaha.

BTW, ....ZAWZALL FTW~! I used a HD one with Diablo Blades, as I said in the first or second post.... LIKE A SHARP KNIFE THROUGH HOT BUTTER, MAN! No kidding.... 1 Minute or so.

Far as cutting off the rails of the upper stop..... I had mine up on a rack in a shop for my tires..... could see at least an inch of hang in the stops... I KNOW, it's not likely that they'd fall out, and SURELY it must be hard with the 14"s in there. I just FEEL more comfortable with the coils riding in a longer channel like I did it, with only the VERY bottom of them(the stop pads) being cut off, then heat up and bend. I think having a lil more stability up top might keep them from flexing side to side, no?

Anyway, always love reading your posts... keep informing the masses, Zuk! Oh, yeah..... AND YOU NEED TO DO GEARS AGAIN! HAHAHAHA, jk, jk. Just that I see that all the time... didn't know that you'd stopped. I'm hopefully getting some 4.30's with a locker in the rear, soon! Should be just enough for my applications, and I CAN'T WAIT, granting it all works out as planned! lol.
Ya, sawzalls rule.....but the cheap blades they include with them are usually junk. Gotta go to Home Depot and get some quality blades In your case, using the 12 inch coils, leaving the upper stoppers longer works. Now if you decide you need another inch or so of lift....and want to shorten up the stopper sides...and still keep your existing coils....then what you COULD do is add a "coil spacer" of sorts to the bottom. This would probably mean the rubber goes away and a steel 2 inch tall spacer goes in its place. Then when you have it on the lift it would be tight still. Just an idea....if you wanted a smidge more lift.....and I can make some 2" lowers for ya too....I have the technology
Old 04-13-2011, 12:05 PM
ZUK

Originally Posted by Junkers88
This thread definitely got popular. I know I've added a tad here and there. Just shows that this is a great money saving mod for those (like me) on a budget. Of course I'll bet it makes the guys that sell lifted leaf packs a little miffed.
As you can see by the pics that many have posted, that everybody does it a little different...they don't all have the same tools...they don't have the same lift needs...etc. But it seems to be darn good bang for the buck....I think there are 1 or 2 that claimed a stiffer ride/no flex but we don't know exactly what they did or did not do....especially with no incriminating pics.
I think the ZUK mod can look like it came factory if it's done cleanly....even linear cuts, deburred, and painted. Done right it will enhance the old wheel travel and ride softer than it ever has. If I ever get another 84~89 Runner, I'm pretty sure this is the route I will go.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZUK- I will probably be installing the lift within a week or 2. I plan on taking a bunch of pics. Can't wait to see how it looks and rides, my truck's suspension is very tired and the front shocks are blown. I'm just hoping the ES9000's aren't too stiff. I did do some research on them before i ordered them and didn't really read anything bad. I just want my truck to ride nice on the road and be capable of doing some light duty wheeling
Old 04-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Zuk.
Started in mine this afternoon spent about 2 hours on it almost done. Cant wait to see how much better it rides. my wife my actually want to ride in that instead of taking her 97. ahah
Old 04-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ZUK
Ya, sawzalls rule.....but the cheap blades they include with them are usually junk. Gotta go to Home Depot and get some quality blades In your case, using the 12 inch coils, leaving the upper stoppers longer works. Now if you decide you need another inch or so of lift....and want to shorten up the stopper sides...and still keep your existing coils....then what you COULD do is add a "coil spacer" of sorts to the bottom. This would probably mean the rubber goes away and a steel 2 inch tall spacer goes in its place. Then when you have it on the lift it would be tight still. Just an idea....if you wanted a smidge more lift.....and I can make some 2" lowers for ya too....I have the technology
Hey Zuk, hope all's well....

Yeah, I think if I wind up wanting a lil more, I'll probably go with the 14"x100#'s...... Seems it would be a LIL softer and give me a lil more lift simultaneously. Not sure,... until I do the BJ spacers and all new suspension up front,.... what, exactly, I'll need. But WE'LL SOON SEE! SOON, .......GOD WILLING, ....BEING THE OPTIMAL WORK! lol.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM

12 inch 125lbs springs

This last weekend I was up in the southern side of the Sequoia National Park camping. The rear of my truck got completely flexed out more so than I was able when testing these springs using a forklift, and more so when I was in Joshua tree. I never considered checking the springs due to what I had previously witnessed in both prior tests. Stupid of me not to even check things out on the truck when i left the camping trip as well, but apparently one of the back springs almost completely slipped out. Pictures below. Ill be welding in some spring captures before I head back up there next month.
I consider myself lucky for not blowing my tire on highway 5 back to LA.
And due to a crack head stealing my catalytic converter I am now running a straight pipe with a cherry bomb so hearing the tire rub on the spring wasnot happening.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:43 PM

Thats why you shouldnt cut them so short in my opinion
Old 05-09-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!! You are pretty lucky. What length springs did you use?
Old 05-09-2011, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by blue_CA_yota
Wow!! You are pretty lucky. What length springs did you use?
12" x 125# is the text he put in the subject.

BTW, tires are now mounted. More than ever I need to get on these. They're sitting on the floor, waiting!!
Check out the flex (lack thereof) and other details here

Last edited by edeslaur; 05-09-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:14 PM

Yeah I agree. At the time its all i had means to do and I was over the rigid ride. Definitely would work with most of the top bump stop left attached. I plan on fabing a 2 inch pipe to fit the inner circumference along with an additional trap.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:46 PM
ZUK

wow red...that was a close one. Looks like the 12" coils are a close call....and it may depend on the rig....some rear suspensions might drop down down just a tad more than others. Feel free to post pics of your solution
ZUK
Old 05-10-2011, 07:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by edeslaur
12" x 125# is the text he put in the subject.
The mobile version doesn't show titles to posts. thanks for the clarification on the springs though
Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by jred151
This last weekend I was up in the southern side of the Sequoia National Park camping. The rear of my truck got completely flexed out more so than I was able when testing these springs using a forklift, and more so when I was in Joshua tree. I never considered checking the springs due to what I had previously witnessed in both prior tests. Stupid of me not to even check things out on the truck when i left the camping trip as well, but apparently one of the back springs almost completely slipped out. Pictures below. Ill be welding in some spring captures before I head back up there next month.
I consider myself lucky for not blowing my tire on highway 5 back to LA.
And due to a crack head stealing my catalytic converter I am now running a straight pipe with a cherry bomb so hearing the tire rub on the spring wasnot happening.

Hey Red, .... hope you're doing ok. Wow, indeed! I just wanted to ask why you cut the stop towers so short? Is it so you didn't have to heat and bend the one tower arm? That is EXACTLY why I didn't cut ANYTHING but the 'VERYYYYYYYYYYY' bottom off, ...heated it up and pounded it carefully outward, testing as I went, till it JUST FIT, snug, but not ''wedge it in there, man''! lol.

Dang, I'm glad you didn't tear something major apart!
Old 05-10-2011, 08:03 AM

And so it does not! Emoticon retracted! LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by edeslaur
And so it does not! Emoticon retracted! LOL
.... Ed, ...you lost me man.... hahaha. Whatcha talking about? Just curious, lol.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Hey Red, .... hope you're doing ok. Wow, indeed! I just wanted to ask why you cut the stop towers so short? Is it so you didn't have to heat and bend the one tower arm? That is EXACTLY why I didn't cut ANYTHING but the 'VERYYYYYYYYYYY' bottom off, ...heated it up and pounded it carefully outward, testing as I went, till it JUST FIT, snug, but not ''wedge it in there, man''! lol.

Dang, I'm glad you didn't tear something major apart!
Hey Chef-
Yeah I didnt have any means of heating the metal bump stops at the time.

I have to say that I was very happy with the performance of the coils. I had 2 passagers and myself with 2 full size dogs, all the camping gear, tools, guns, and 2 coolers. Not a bit excessive sag.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 AM

Right on, Red, ..... well, you should be good to go FOR GOOD if you weld in that 'pipe style' support, eh? Sounds good, POST PICS, K? I know, btw, ...... I was in the sierras for a week and WITH 800# OF GEAR... BARELY SAGGED EM AT ALL! Lil bouncy, ...but only when empty and flying,....or on RIDICULOUS speed bumps in L.A.! lol.

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...