Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Just did a Zuk Mod...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've just picked up some used Blazeland arms and used Sway Away T-bars for the front. I expect that'll get me about 4" of lift.

Question - can I do a Zuk mod in the rear on top of my stock springs for that much lift, or am I insane for considering it?

Wanting to lift it cheaply for now so I can start spending the big $$ on lockers, wheels, tires, bumpers, winch mount, etc., then come back to the lift later. By then I'll either love the Blazeland, or still want to go with TC or JD Fab. And don't want to wait to find a cheap set of springs (and prefer to avoid lift blocks).

Thanks!!
Old 03-03-2011, 09:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by edeslaur
I've just picked up some used Blazeland arms and used Sway Away T-bars for the front. I expect that'll get me about 4" of lift.

Question - can I do a Zuk mod in the rear on top of my stock springs for that much lift, or am I insane for considering it?
I don't think there are springs out there (coils) that you can do the ZUK mod with and gain 4" of lift in the rear. When I did mine I gained 2" over stock with the sagging rear, so maybe 4" total but not 4" over stock. If you could find some 16" 125lb coils you might get the lift you need but I doubt it. You could relax the SA T-bars down to 2" of lift and add 14" 125lb coils in the rear and be level as well as gaining a better ride but you'd be shorter on lift than what you seem to want.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by coops2k
I did this in Sept of last year and today the springs started making a bunch of noise going over bumps and stuff at a slow speed, anything I can do to fix this?

I'm having some squeak at low speeds, too. Poking around, it seems to be the leaf pack, not the coils, yeah, hmmmm, lol. The reason I think so is I can feel it right under my rump at times when it's happening. My buddy got under and listened, and also said that. I think what might be happening is that leaf springs, having sat flat or over flat at times, are VERY tired, and not used to being where they used to be, when new. It almost sounds like the noise is coming SOME from the new COIL, but mostly from the front hanger area. Could just be the leaf pack groaning in general, all over, lol. As long as it's not gonna be a problem, I'm not too concerned with it, lol.....got TOO MANY other things I'm trying to Mod/Fix! lol.

PS> Sorry Zuk, haven't had a SINGLE CHANCE to get out and get pics of what I THINK you're asking, lol. I can't really put it in a ditch around here, but I CAN jack up the one side or other till I hit the max of the flex, .....then see what kind of space I get between the frame rail and top of spring, RIGHT? Also, noting, as well, how important it is to NOT CUT OFF TOO MUCH OF THE UPPER STOP, prematurely, before testing a few things. This is why I cut off at the very bottom, along with wanting them to be more sturdy. I may go for 14" springs, as well, depending on where my IFS refresh and Lift gets me, ....but also cuz the 12"x125# springs, while NOT NEAR as bad as it was with NOTHING BUT FLAT LEAF PACK, hahaha... it's still a bit stiff. Of course, I also have the Rancho 5000's in there, ....and that could be an issue. Come to think of it, those shocks were out of my buddies Long Bed 4x4(85), ....and I THINK, not sure, he had a 4" lift. I'ma call him and see what he says. I wouldn't think that would change TOO much, regarding compression, but what the heck do I know? hahaha.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I don't think there are springs out there (coils) that you can do the ZUK mod with and gain 4" of lift in the rear. When I did mine I gained 2" over stock with the sagging rear, so maybe 4" total but not 4" over stock. If you could find some 16" 125lb coils you might get the lift you need but I doubt it. You could relax the SA T-bars down to 2" of lift and add 14" 125lb coils in the rear and be level as well as gaining a better ride but you'd be shorter on lift than what you seem to want.
Thanks! By the time I spring for 2" blocks and Zuks, I probably am close to some lift springs...
Old 03-03-2011, 04:23 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks! By the time I spring for 2" blocks and Zuks, I probably am close to some lift springs...
The 14" x 150 will give you OVER 4" lift....on a saggy Runner.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:30 PM
ZUK

...plus, there are cheap ways to get even more lift....I had some 2 inch tubing that I chopped up....mine are 14" x 100

Philbert got 4.5" of measured lift using just 14" x 125 coils http://gearinstalls.com/coilphilbert.htm

Last edited by ZUK; 03-03-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:54 AM

I'll see about some 14x125s as a start then. Can always add a spacer.

Time to figure out what to do about the LSPV. Forgot about that...
Old 03-08-2011, 03:37 AM

Thanks Chef for the thread. I have been reading up on this for the last few months and finally ordered my 12" 125lbs to restore stock height. Really looking forward to installing them.
Old 03-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by BCstuntman
Thanks Chef for the thread. I have been reading up on this for the last few months and finally ordered my 12" 125lbs to restore stock height. Really looking forward to installing them.
Hey, honestly, MY PLEASURE ,...but really?>>>> Thank "ZUK", ....he's the man who got me to do this! hahaha. Yeah, btw, ....'thanks, Zuk!', lol.

Make sure you post pics, BC, alright?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:40 PM

Ordered some 14"x125#, we'll see how it all goes. Kinda excited!
Old 03-08-2011, 02:54 PM
ZUK

Ordered some 14"x125#, we'll see how it all goes. Kinda excited!
Looking forward to seeing some pics and your impressions of the ride afterwards, edeslaur. Before you start tearing into it, could you do a quick test and jack the rear of the Runner up high enough to lift the rear tires off the ground? Then measure the space in between where the coils are going to go? It should be less than 12" which would mean they will not "fall out" on you. Thanks ZUK

And BCstuntman, if you want to perform that same check on the coil distance, you are certainly welcome to post results.

ChefYota4x4---Very glad to help out....enjoy the soft ride
Old 03-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Hat tip to Chef for this thread, I've been poring through Zuk's page. Another hat tip for Zuk for sure on that! Making me wish he still did gears!!

Re pics and all... Absolutely! I'm real interested in how my flex changes, etc. No RTI ramp, but there are some rocks around here...

I'm still saving my coin for new balljoints and shocks (and 4.88s/ARBs soon after). Not sure if I'm going NAPA Gold or OE. Any suggested sites for buying real OE parts frugally? Not having a lot of luck searching the archives on that or strongest/bestest BJs...
Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Hey Ed,

I got my Ball Joints and all 8 Control arm bushings from dealerdirectparts.com. (except for the upper Bj's, got Mega Travel Upper Bj's from Downey's Owner, but they're no more). That site seems to be one of the best prices I've found(for prices on OEM Toyota stuffs), and they ship free on orders over 100$!(FTW in my book! lol). I paid almost HALF what my local dealer wanted, and they shipped free, so yeah, it was worth it. At least, it was worth it TO ME to have OEM Ball Joints and Bushings.

Also got my BJ spacers, Diff and Sway drop kit from 4Crawler.com(Roger), all for around 145$? Pretty sure that was it.

Got the shocks from ARB(OMEmu Shocks and Stabilizer for the Front).... Made for 2" lift in front.... I have the numbers in my build site, I'm sure a few pages back. (My build is in my sig)

Last edited by ChefYota4x4; 03-08-2011 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Thank "ZUK", ....he's the man who got me to do this! hahaha. Yeah, btw, ....'thanks, Zuk!', lol.
No kidding right! He's gotten lots of us to do his mods. "Thanks ZUK!!!"
Old 03-09-2011, 03:05 PM

i have the 12" x 150lb springs on completely stock suspension
here is a close up of the spring on the fully extended side:

it is still touching the bottom of the bump stop on top of the leaf pack...i don't think the spring is going anywhere
Old 03-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Hey AZ, .....don't wanna speak for Zuk, or anyone for that matter, ....BUT; lol.>>>>

I think the spot you're looking for a big gap is where the spring sits in the upper bump stop(am I wrong, Zuk?) So that, when the right side it stuffed, for example, .... "does the left side spring almost come out of the upper bump stop?"

Someone let me know, that's what I was gonna check when I have time. (like checking when on the rack, to see how much space between the frame and top of spring)???
Old 03-10-2011, 04:13 PM
ZUK

Originally Posted by az_eaglescout_pilot
i have the 12" x 150lb springs on completely stock suspension
here is a close up of the spring on the fully extended side:

it is still touching the bottom of the bump stop on top of the leaf pack...i don't think the spring is going anywhere
Very good ....so the underside of frame end is snug also?
Old 03-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Exclamation Opinions wanted !!

Been hauling the mobile wash/ detail set up in the Runner for 5 years now, needless to say it looks like a airplane on take off, about 4" low out back . Pretty sure its a candidate for the 14" springs, but in 125 or 150 # versions ? How will it sit if I take everything out to take a trip or use for delivery service ? TIA !!
Old 03-11-2011, 01:56 PM
ZUK

Originally Posted by Blue 89 Runner
Been hauling the mobile wash/ detail set up in the Runner for 5 years now, needless to say it looks like a airplane on take off, about 4" low out back . Pretty sure its a candidate for the 14" springs, but in 125 or 150 # versions ? How will it sit if I take everything out to take a trip or use for delivery service ? TIA !!
Probably be just fine both loaded and unloaded. 14 x 125 should do nicely. Probably look level or slightly high when loaded....and a little bit of a "stink bug" look when unloaded. Myself, personally, I like the rear higher anyways.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:39 PM
ZUK

I happen to see this over in one of those Taco forums.....here's a cut/paste showing 2 smart posts....Hytenor lives on the board and should know better...
and the other is just a troll.

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170358

What do ya think...ChefYota4x4, az_eaglescout_pilot, Junkers88, edeslaur, jred151 and all the others that have hands-on experience with this mod.....do ya think they "just don't know" ?

Quick Reply: Just did a Zuk Mod...