Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ITS alive! 3.0 afm mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 04:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by olharleyman
Negative
What I am saying is that the rpm's clime faster and stay in the higher range longer causing the speed to clime more steady and maintain the same speed sooner then before.

Basically it's like adding another cold air intake and cleaning the injectors at the same time with the way the rpm's clime and the power comes on longer then before the AFM swap but I still need to dial it in I am not getting anywhere close to 90 miles at a 1/4 tank in fact I just tuned 100 miles at 1/2 a tank not much different then pre AFM swap

OK, I see. I was frustrated by the slight lug when shifting as I drove in this morning. If this can provide better performance with no MPG penalty then I'll probably still give it a try. I just need to find some time to get over to Pullapart.

Thanks for trying this out and reporting your results.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:56 AM

my 90 miles per 1/4 tank is for a couple reasons

1 im under geared and dont drive my motor hard
2 i ALWAYS keep it under 2700 rpms nomatter what

green 93 it will fit your old lid without drilling just sticks up abit i have a piece of gasket material filling in that void on top as

if anyone kows an easy way to tell if im lean or rich ( besides pulling plugs) let me know how i wanna show the results from that to everyone
Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 AM

Subcribed
Old 07-09-2008, 09:31 AM

ok kids heres what im seeing so far!

gas milage......... is about the same im still getting around 300+/- a few for tire/ gear size and city highway but always more then 250 everyday and just under 400 all highway.
performance......... i am seeing more torque in the middle. its hard to say if its all the way through the band.maybe the sound be it feels more responsive pretty much all the way thhrough the band.
lower end pulls hard middle is still pulling and highway driving can keep speed better and increase speed up hills without the trans downshifting.

overall............ as the weeks progress ill keep updating, however, uptill now i think that for 17.22 for the afm ill keep it on ! im not losing performance and have gained in places. my thoughts are this: the motor can breathe all it wants now. however, i feel that it cant do anything with that air. larger intakes or boring may be able to use the increase in airflow.
im telling you what their is a ton of air going in now! and if we can find a way to use it i think this is the start to a great 3.0 mod
anyone that has bored camed or reworked the intake may have huge gains from this. ill keep messing with it or a while longer and kepp everyone posted
Old 07-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman

Basically it's like adding another cold air intake and cleaning the injectors at the same time with the way the rpm's clime and the power comes on longer then before the AFM swap but I still need to dial it in I am not getting anywhere close to 90 miles at a 1/4 tank in fact I just tuned 100 miles at 1/2 a tank not much different then pre AFM swap
My mileage is exactly the same. I don't see how swaycleveland can be getting 90 to the quarter, perhaps the gas gauge is not functioning properly?
Old 07-09-2008, 10:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phildelfino
Got a nice looking intake olharleyman, mind sending it my way when you swap in the 3.4?
If I don't use it for the 3.4 because of my dual battery set up it's all your's
Old 07-09-2008, 02:39 PM

well duartizzle what is your truck set up like????? tire size cat muffler gears?? and did you read the part where i stated that i stay under 2500rpms at all costs! That alone kicked me up from 70 a quater to 90 that and i run alot of highways. like i said before im around 300 city/highway combined and closer to 400 all highway (drafting semis included) that also factors in my speedo is off cause im running 285s
Old 07-09-2008, 04:00 PM

almost forgot duartizzle my timing is set at 15 insted of 10 like factory
if im not mistaken from the factory this got 16 and 20 auto and 18 /22 stick
Old 07-13-2008, 03:13 PM

any new info?
Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 AM

Bump!!!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 07:49 AM

I don't have anything else to say on this topic, even after reseting my ecu I am still getting the same mpg as before.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:21 AM

does anyone know if this mod is making your truck run too lean though? And how do you get to the article on 4crawler? I picked up an afm the other day at a junkyard to see if it really did anything.. i figured it was worth $16 to see for myself, but i dont know what wheel you guys are talking about that youre turning counterclockwise?
Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by affmondo22
does anyone know if this mod is making your truck run too lean though? And how do you get to the article on 4crawler? I picked up an afm the other day at a junkyard to see if it really did anything.. i figured it was worth $16 to see for myself, but i dont know what wheel you guys are talking about that youre turning counterclockwise?
If you look on the top of the entire unit there is a black cover with silicone sealing it up. Take a knife, cut the silicone and remove the black cover. Now you will see a large brass wheel with teeth all around it. This is the wheel you need to turn. There is a black phillips screw in the corner of the unit that you can loosen and it will allow you to turn the unit one way or the other. You will need to try different amounts "clicks" to get your car to the proper idle
Old 07-16-2008, 08:44 AM

alright cool, thanks a lot duartizzle
Old 07-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Finally got mine installed. I modified the OEM air box cover to fit the new AFM from a '90 Camry V6 which was plug n play
So far from what I noticed is the throttle response is way better than before, 1st gear start from a stop is really smooth. As far as gas mileage we'll have to wait n see.
If this makes no difference with gas mileage, oh well...it drives real nice.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:24 PM

that's good to hear. please report back with mileage if you can!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If I'm feeling ambitious and if I can get my hands on a used MAF, I'm going to try replacing the VAFM with a MAF. After doing a little homework, it looks like it would be relatively easy to do. The big question is whether it would be worth it or not.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
If I'm feeling ambitious and if I can get my hands on a used MAF, I'm going to try replacing the VAFM with a MAF. After doing a little homework, it looks like it would be relatively easy to do. The big question is whether it would be worth it or not.
to replace your VAFM (Vane AirFlow Meter, with a flapper door) with a MAF (Mass AirFlow, with a heated wire element to detect airflow) you'd need a signal converter, and then you'd need to tune it, the two types don't work the same at all - not relatively easy to do, and not cheap

what this mod does is replace one VAFC for another that has a slightly larger intake hole - much easier to do as it's mostly plug and play

Last edited by corax; 07-23-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RocknRon206
Finally got mine installed. I modified the OEM air box cover to fit the new AFM from a '90 Camry V6 which was plug n play
So far from what I noticed is the throttle response is way better than before, 1st gear start from a stop is really smooth. As far as gas mileage we'll have to wait n see.
If this makes no difference with gas mileage, oh well...it drives real nice.

Could you take some pictures of the modifications you had to do to make everything fit properly? I aim to do this mod without the use of tape
Old 07-24-2008, 05:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by corax
to replace your VAFM (Vane AirFlow Meter, with a flapper door) with a MAF (Mass AirFlow, with a heated wire element to detect airflow) you'd need a signal converter, and then you'd need to tune it, the two types don't work the same at all - not relatively easy to do, and not cheap

what this mod does is replace one VAFC for another that has a slightly larger intake hole - much easier to do as it's mostly plug and play
Degreed Engineer here. Not hard. Not all that expensive. About the same cost as a replacement VAFM. The difference the MAF makes is that it doesn't have a spring-loaded throttle plate working against the engine's intake.

Quick Reply: ITS alive! 3.0 afm mod!