Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

ITS alive! 3.0 afm mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To those looking for a real increase in mpg. I am not seeing it here, I did the mod and am getting the same if not worse mileage from this. I am just wondering if maybe its gonna be a case by case deal, but as for me, no increase in mpg
Old 07-07-2008, 03:44 PM

i tried this mod with an AFM reading the same as stock specs on the volt-meter but when i drove it, it would lose power/acceleration at around 2k rpms, but if i let off the gas it slowly climbed. i tried adjusting it 3 clicks clockwise and counterclockwise but no fix. threw the stock one back on till i have time to mess with it again.....
Old 07-07-2008, 04:42 PM

so i went to the pick n pull today, found what i needed and they wanted $47.99!!! where are you all getting this afm so cheap???
Old 07-07-2008, 04:55 PM

Paid the same for mine at a yard
Old 07-07-2008, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by t84bird
Little confused, are you saying the hose off of the camry will replace your current one? (the one that goes from the AFM to the intake?)
I just looked at it quick last night. The hose from the Camry looks like it will fit in place of the first section of hose on the truck. (from the AFM down to the plastic box) Obviously that isn't the best way to do it though since one end of the tube is 3" and reduces to 2 1/2" at the other end. Doing the ISR mod with a 3" mandrel bent pipe would be the best. I'll try and get a pic up tonight if I find time to play with it.

I'm a little disappointed with the posts today though. Doesn't sound near as promising as it did the other day. Oh well....the AFM only cost me $25.00.

Jason
Old 07-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Duartizzle
To those looking for a real increase in mpg. I am not seeing it here, I did the mod and am getting the same if not worse mileage from this. I am just wondering if maybe its gonna be a case by case deal, but as for me, no increase in mpg
I have not either and I am running 35 x 12.5 with 5 speed and 5.29's but I have not given up on this just yet. the first time I refilled my tank Saturday I got 40 miles on 3.3 gallons that equals 12.12121212 mpg that said I did run it at 70-80mph and in stop and go on purpose to see if it made any difference. After refilling again I reset the computer but sad to say so far I have 64 miles on just over a 1/4 tank not to sure where I will end up but when I refill again I will redo the math and report back any improvements or not. I also replaced the air filter just to see if this will help any plugs wires rotor and cap all done within the last 5,000 miles so who knows if any of this will play into this.

The one thing I can say for sure is that my motor gets to the rpm's faster and now it seems to keep me around 65 when I would normalily be around 55-60mph in the same rpm range from the end of 4th gear and up into 5th gear.

Again I am not giving up on this yet and will continue this experiment till I swap to my 3.4 s/c'ed motor so I will keep you guy's updated if you would like to see if anything has changed before the swap. I also may have a disadvantage with 236,500 miles on the motor.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM

glad to see your having some luck with it olmanharley

as for mileage its not doing much for me after the mod got 283 out of this tank. however as with olmanharley my powerband is much better then before. giong on a highway trip this week and should get close to 400 out of this tank due to highway cruisin. im not sure what the diff is between my motor and others out there maybe mine is running way lean. and if it was that lean wouldnt the o2 throw a code or something ? i know im runnning the timing at 15 advanced but somethings not right this is odd! anyway ill keep posting here till we can find the common denominator! maybe my motor is that loose that it can use this mod. maybe its all in my head !
Old 07-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Green93
I just looked at it quick last night. The hose from the Camry looks like it will fit in place of the first section of hose on the truck. (from the AFM down to the plastic box) Obviously that isn't the best way to do it though since one end of the tube is 3" and reduces to 2 1/2" at the other end. Doing the ISR mod with a 3" mandrel bent pipe would be the best. I'll try and get a pic up tonight if I find time to play with it.

I'm a little disappointed with the posts today though. Doesn't sound near as promising as it did the other day. Oh well....the AFM only cost me $25.00.

Jason

Hey, where did you get the AFM, pick-a-part?

p.s stock TB and AFM output size is 2.75"
Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
Hey, where did you get the AFM, pick-a-part?

p.s stock TB and AFM output size is 2.75"
Ya, I ran out to pick a part when I saw online that they had a green x-cab 4x4 out there. I had a whole shopping list but it was picked pretty clean when I got there. I guess it serves me right for not checking earlier but it was basically a wasted trip. The worst was that it was the same color as my truck with grey sr5 interior. I picked up the AFM so I didn't leave empty-handed.

Too tired to play with the truck tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

Jason
Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by olharleyman
The one thing I can say for sure is that my motor gets to the rpm's faster and now it seems to keep me around 65 when I would normalily be around 55-60mph in the same rpm range from the end of 4th gear and up into 5th gear.
I don't understand what you mean by this. It almost sounds like you're saying that you're going faster now at the same engine speed than before, but you have a 5 spd. so that can't be. Are you saying that it's easier to maintain that speed through the shift points?
Old 07-08-2008, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by gt0987
but you have a 5 spd. so that can't be.
why not?
Old 07-08-2008, 02:25 PM

unless you change the tire size or gearing the rpm to speed relationship is fixed. this isn't running a CVT or anything, and in a 5 speeds case it doesn't even have a torque converter. the gear ratio is the same, Xrpm=Xmph, increasing airflow will do nothing to change this.

Last edited by Recoil; 07-08-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typowned =[
Old 07-08-2008, 03:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But if it breathes better, wouldn't it be easier to maintain said speed, less pedal.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:48 PM

if it gives you more power, yes, less pedal, but not less rpm.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:37 PM

Well now I see why you just duct taped the AFM on until you found out how well it preformed. I guess I was a little naive when I went to swap over and just assumed the Camry AFM would bolt up just like the stock one.

The studs don't line up with the stock holes so they will have to be drilled about 3/8" higher. Then the hole in the air box lid is the same size as the opening in the stock AFM. The lid will have to be modified to make it work. Either by extending the top of it higher to cover the Camry AFM, or by cutting the lid so the AFM sits lower. I'm not sure how you would seal it up again, unless you just slather silicone or RTV all over it.

Those of you with cone filters and the ISR mod will have it nice and easy. For now I'm going to take a few pictures and then put it all back together. Maybe I'll pick up a spare air box sometime and take a dremel to it.

Jason
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Looking forward to pictures. Sounding like this mod is not the easiest to get "right".
Old 07-08-2008, 09:10 PM

Here are a few pictures to show comparisons. Scroll down near the end of the gallery.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Green93Toy/MyToy

I would still like to try this, depending on feedback from others. I'm just not going to carve up my existing stuff for an experiment. Hopefully we get some more accurate results.

Jason
Old 07-08-2008, 09:12 PM

wow i'm hella dumb. i just didn't make the connection about the 5 spd and engine speed.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gt0987
I don't understand what you mean by this. It almost sounds like you're saying that you're going faster now at the same engine speed than before, but you have a 5 spd. so that can't be. Are you saying that it's easier to maintain that speed through the shift points?
Negative
What I am saying is that the rpm's clime faster and stay in the higher range longer causing the speed to clime more steady and maintain the same speed sooner then before.

Basically it's like adding another cold air intake and cleaning the injectors at the same time with the way the rpm's clime and the power comes on longer then before the AFM swap but I still need to dial it in I am not getting anywhere close to 90 miles at a 1/4 tank in fact I just tuned 100 miles at 1/2 a tank not much different then pre AFM swap
Old 07-09-2008, 04:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a nice looking intake olharleyman, mind sending it my way when you swap in the 3.4?

Quick Reply: ITS alive! 3.0 afm mod!