Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Intro/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lumpy
I think you'll do alright. If you don't like it sell it. But I got a feelin it's a keeper.
usually when you put your hard work and money into something, uts hard to sell, like everyone tells me to sell my runner, but the time, effort and money i have into it, i'd be heart broken to get rid of her
Old 01-29-2010, 02:15 PM

Haha I already commented. Forgot to tell you about the hammer trick for checking the frame. If something happened and you didnt get it yet, get a small hammer, ball peen or claw and go around and tap the frame and listen, you can tell where its thin or going soft pretty easily, check it all from like the tcase cross member back. Inside and out, speciall besides the gas tank. If you got it and check it and there are soft spots, might be able to cut it out and get it fish plated before it gets anyworse. GOOD LUCK, you have joined the first gen 4runner family
Old 01-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Too bad you couldn't talk him down a little, but who cares? For a hunting/fishing rig, that is mechanically sound, 1500. Not bad. Also, who cares about the great foam in the quarter panel? Another 1500 invested in non-bodywork will net you a capable off-road rig, and since its not a DD rattlecan the foam and buy a locker.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AZkid
usually when you put your hard work and money into something, uts hard to sell, like everyone tells me to sell my runner, but the time, effort and money i have into it, i'd be heart broken to get rid of her
X2. That and you never ever get the money back that you put into the truck when you sell it.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Yotapowa
thats a nice runner junkers, something like that would go for at least $4000 where I'm from
Originally Posted by JSimmons
I think Junker88 got a steal. Nice rig.
Thanks folks. When I went to look at it the seller told me he had recieved something like a dozen calls on it between the time I contacted him and when I arrived at his house. It had a couple of issues (nothing major) so I handed him 300$ to hold it for a day so I could get to the bank. When I went back with the rest of the cash he laughed and said that a few folks showed up with cash in hand and tried to give him more than the 1500$ he was asking. Glad I got there first.

The same thing happened when I bought my 86 pickup for 2500$ and I kick myself for ever selling it.

And just because I'm a picture whore here is the pickup.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:02 PM

Well, the deed has been done. The rig is parked out in the snow right now. I figure it was a pretty good buy if my buddy and I drove back in this winter storm that is hitting mid-Tennessee right now and I didn't have any hang-ups. Of course, on a long drive home like that you notice all the little things that you didn't notice before. Mainly, a whirring sound while I'm on the gas and that the brake booster makes the idle bounce while at a stop. So...yeah I guess it's not totally without a few mechanical gremlins.

But, it did fine driving back in the snow, ice and slush on I-24 during rush hour. Revs fine, has plenty of power for the little rig. I think most of the other drivers got out of my way when they saw me in their rearview mirror simply because the rig is so ugly.

The main thing to do this weekend (once the weather improves) is to give a good cleaning inside and out. At least it survived the 40 mile shakedown trek back to Clarksville.

I guess I can now add 1st Gen 4Runner-mania to my BMW-mania and Austin-Healey-mania.

regards,
Joel
Old 01-29-2010, 03:25 PM

That sound may be the throw out bearing, mine did that a little when I first got it so I changed it when I did the new clutch.

If the idle surges at stops with the brake pedal pressed then it might be idling too high, easy fix.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by CappyKD
Come on kid. Try it. You'll like it.

You are in a room full of Toyota crack heads.
HA! Trying to get advice here on whether or not to buy a 1st gen runner is like walking into an intervention with a pipe packed with meth!
Old 01-29-2010, 03:41 PM

^^he's right. for reference this is the best deal currently on my local c-list.
Attached Thumbnails Intro/Advice-craigslist-yota.jpg  
Old 01-29-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
If the idle surges at stops with the brake pedal pressed then it might be idling too high, easy fix.
Care to enlighten me? Or, has this been discussed before ad nauseum? I can do a search for it.

Joel
Old 01-29-2010, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by PimpinUHos
^^he's right. for reference this is the best deal currently on my local c-list.
Hey, I see you're from Bend, OR. I'm originally from Beaverton!

Joel
Old 01-29-2010, 04:27 PM

Care to enlighten me? Or, has this been discussed before ad nauseum? I can do a search for it.

Joel
It's been discussed at length here. In a nut shell this is what happens.

If your engine is idling too high at operating temp it will cause a surge when the brake is applied while at a stop.

The ECU (computer) reads that you are at a stop when the brake pedal is applied and cuts the fuel down to idle volumn.
The engine idles back up higher that it should be and the ECU cuts the fuel again.
Thus the surge.

I hope I explained that well.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:34 PM

Thanks Junkers. Found this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...brakes-187772/

Pretty good trouble shooting documented there. I'm going to give it a try when the blizzard passes.

Joel
Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 PM

Thanks Junkers. Found this thread: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...brakes-187772/

Pretty good trouble shooting documented there. I'm going to give it a try when the blizzard passes.

Joel
Blizzard shmizzard get out there and work on that 1st gen!!!
Old 01-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Joel
Damn I started that one also.... I'll get to be a regular guru around here if I'm not careful.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:29 PM

Okay, so it's an artsy-fartsy black and white photo with bad resloution (didn't realize I had that setting on, on my phone), but here she is all lonely out in the cold.

Last edited by JSimmons; 01-29-2010 at 06:29 PM. Reason: duh
Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 PM

She looks lonely out there..... you need to fight the snow and fix her!

Just kidding. Welcome to the 1st gen runner crowd. I think you will do well with her.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for you. Congrats!!! Enjoy.
Old 01-30-2010, 04:09 PM

It's only raining a little in Beaverton right now! You could fix it no problem. Shoulda stayed.
Old 01-30-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by PimpinUHos
It's only raining a little in Beaverton right now! You could fix it no problem. Shoulda stayed.
I do miss Oregon. Trying to get my next assignment to be at Fort Lewis, WA.

Funny thing...today it didn't do the idle surge at all. I think it only happens after a lengthy drive.