Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

interior switch paint and markings

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 07:09 PM

Received 453 Likes on 249 Posts
interior switch paint and markings

i realize this is a stretch, and that the faction on readers here dedicated to this kind of tedious work is minimal but has anyone attempted on our trucks, or anything really, to redo the white paint on things like the wiper combo switch or headlamp switch ? i know there arent indentations to try and fill in with paint. after years of use the paint comes off so easy. other than finding a new combo switch with better paint on has anyone seen anything?
Old 02-09-2020, 08:58 PM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts

I have been wondering about this myself!

My truck's switches still look like new..... except for the headlight combo switch, which some of the markings are getting pretty faded from wear.

I haven't seen any method yet to get new markings on the switches, and getting something that looks like the original and won't just rub off in short order is going to be tough.

I wish those switches had grooves where the image is supposed to go. A few years ago I bought a new OEM Cigarette lighter as mine was missing. I don't smoke, so it was mostly for esthetics. The new cigarette lighter's markings were not painted like the original, but it did have the grooves of the image. I went out and bought some white model paint at a local hobby shop and painted in the grooves. It turned out pretty darn good.

The following users liked this post:
keycw (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by old87yota

I have been wondering about this myself!

My truck's switches still look like new..... except for the headlight combo switch, which some of the markings are getting pretty faded from wear.

I haven't seen any method yet to get new markings on the switches, and getting something that looks like the original and won't just rub off in short order is going to be tough.

I wish those switches had grooves where the image is supposed to go. A few years ago I bought a new OEM Cigarette lighter as mine was missing. I don't smoke, so it was mostly for esthetics. The new cigarette lighter's markings were not painted like the original, but it did have the grooves of the image. I went out and bought some white model paint at a local hobby shop and painted in the grooves. It turned out pretty darn good.

i was thinking maybe I could have a decal created that could be applied around the stick, but it could be a disaster ha
Old 02-10-2020, 06:45 AM

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts
This is something I've wondered about in the past. One morning I smudged my wiper control switch :/

A decal wrap is actually a pretty good idea!
Old 02-10-2020, 06:59 AM
YT Community Team

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts
IH8mud has some posts on the subject.

if there were grooves that could be filled with paint they were recommending Laquer Stick.

one thought I had was using a device to cut a stencil on a tacky film that could be pulled off after paint is applied. But those stencil machines are pricey.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:36 PM

Received 282 Likes on 191 Posts
I use an acrylic flexible fabric paint ... from a fabric ship .. just make sure the part is clean .
I just used a sharp piece of wood . the paint is water soluble until it dries .

The following users liked this post:
5 Fists (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 03:26 PM

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
Originally Posted by slacker
I use an acrylic flexible fabric paint ... from a fabric ship .. just make sure the part is clean .
I just used a sharp piece of wood . the paint is water soluble until it dries .

those look nice, but don’t address the question posed, which pertains to the headlight stalk (and would also equally apply to the wiper stalk).
Old 02-11-2020, 08:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
your a/c button is also supposed to light up green, shouldnt be painted in there haha.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:43 AM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Question: "how to reproduce silk screen at home?"

Answer: "Acrylic paint applied with a fine point object."

Silk screen printing is in essence lots of small dots that run together.

We're talking one offs here you're not starting a production line no point in an expensive template ;-) if you really want one go to your local screen printer shop and have them make you one
Old 02-11-2020, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Question: "how to reproduce silk screen at home?"

Answer: "Acrylic paint applied with a fine point object."

Silk screen printing is in essence lots of small dots that run together.

We're talking one offs here you're not starting a production line no point in an expensive template ;-) if you really want one go to your local screen printer shop and have them make you one

gotcha. I was not sure how they produced them at the factory. and your correct im not trying to market this, was just looking for a way to spruce up the old faded and wiped off paint at home. doesn't look like there is a good way to do it. best way form what im seeing is to remove the stalks and find a specialty printing shop that can reapply the markings, which sounds expensive.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:26 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Originally Posted by keycw
gotcha. I was not sure how they produced them at the factory. and your correct im not trying to market this, was just looking for a way to spruce up the old faded and wiped off paint at home. doesn't look like there is a good way to do it. best way form what im seeing is to remove the stalks and find a specialty printing shop that can reapply the markings, which sounds expensive.
You can do it! Really, while the images slacker showed and my shifter both have recesses it's a very similar process but the recess is more forgiving than a flat surface.

If I didn't want to do it myself I'd find a local pinstripe artist, they have experience painting fine line details like this, to give it some kanji flair.

So some basics on screen printing, if your not familiar. They use a screen/cloth and a mask is applied to it. This mask is then removed in the section they want the paint to flow thru. Kind of like a cutout stencil but more labor and skill intensive and results in better repeatability over longer runs. Your looking at I dunno several hours at least.

Compare that to a fine line artist who can probably whip that out faster than you can count his pay check out it dollar bills.

Kind of the key point is acrylics, they are pretty durable and clean up is no problem..

Hell no pinstriper, take it to the local salon with a good rep for doing nail art and tip well. Or just practice till you like the results, your looking at like $5-10 in supplies to hand paint stalks for everyone who's ever heard of yotatech.