Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are a few shots of my intercooler plumbing, DCG9381:

Starts at the turbo

Curves around over the wheel well:

Goes straight down, well, slightly to the sidelike to the intercooler:

Shot of the intercooler between the rails + scoop:

Up from the intercooler to the throttle body:

Going into the throttle body from the last shot + BOV:

Not the best pics but maybe you can get an idea of how I routed it. If you have any suggestions on how to improve this routing let me know. In one of the pics you can see a pully from the power steering close to the piping, it is about a little more than 1/4 inch away, however the motor torques the other way and it never rubs... at least hasn't yet. In yet another pic you can see a pipe pass by the A/C compressor, its about a 1/2 inch away and isnt a problem, but like I said, everything is CLOSE.

EDIT: On the way home today I checked my intake air temps under 10lbs of boost. It was 85 degrees outside. Intake air temp read 95 degrees using this setup.

Last edited by TC22RE; 07-27-2007 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks!
Where does SDS place the intake air temp sensor?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:17 PM

I have the air temp sensor placed where the cold start injector used to be. You can just barely see a hint of it in the photos, its on an aluminum plate thats tapped for it and then bolted in place of the cold start injector.

EDIT: If you look close at the intake pipe coming from the intercooler to the throttle body you can see a little copper plug. I had the air temp sensor there for a while too, but it seemed like the reading was off for some reason, it was always cooler. I may be getting a touch of heat soak from the manifold, but I'm leaving it where the cold start injector was as it seems the motor runs happiest like that.

Last edited by TC22RE; 07-27-2007 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2007, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by TC22RE
How efficient are liquid/air intercoolers?
gooobs more efficent than air-air. haha
Old 07-28-2007, 06:08 AM

Well, there goes my heat soak theory as mine is mounted in the same place.
Ever run it w/o an intercooler? My air intake is roughly in the same place - minus the hole to outside air - ambient temps are way higher.. I wonder if the difference is all intercooler?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:31 AM

Oh yeah, I've run without the intercooler before. I would hit the 190 - 210 range with about 70 - 80 degree ambient temps. The intercooler has made a HUGE difference.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:48 AM

You probably are getting a little heat soak, I think I am too, but once I'm flowing more air than idle past the sensor it reads correctly.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:47 PM

my frends got a 3 in body lift, and it seems that there could be room for a pretty decent size IC to fit in there with a/c also. dont care much for body lifts tho.

to all that have made a custom place to put there IC, where did you guys get your piping from?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:19 PM

Summit, Jegs - lots of places sell mandrel bent pipe in steel or aluminum.
TreadstonePerformance.com

Last edited by dcg9381; 07-30-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM

custom bent to your specs?
Old 07-31-2007, 09:11 AM

When I bought mine I got some straight, some 90 degree bends and a few U bends. Chop saw and some boots is all you really need. I'm not sure if they custom bend... they might.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by frm_808
custom bent to your specs?
No.. If you want a kit, contact LC and you're talking $3-$5k for the whole turbo setup.

Get some bends and an abrasive saw. You can cut them with a hacksaw if you really had to. Bends + silicone connectors.. You'll probably have $100 in it very quickly, but it's relatively easy to make your own setup.

I'm still trying to figure out where to mount an IC, but I like the result posted above.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:51 PM

Few things to consider about Air/Air Intercoolers.

1. Size matters - If you get a small unit it may not be able to dissipate the heat fast enough which means after a while it might as well not be there.

2. Heat Soak - If its around hot stuff, it will absorb the heat and be less effective. This is why I'm not a fan of putting it above the engine - heat rises.

What I did (and I really need to post pics, I'll try to snap some when I get home) was put the IC totally out of the engine bay and had a custom bumper built around it, Mad Max Style. Granted, this is far from the cheapest way to solve the problem (unless you are a metal worker - i'm not) but if you want the best performance out of your intercooler, make sure its big enough and get it away from hot stuff. I can run my truck hard and the outlet side of the IC is always near ambient. It's also slightly inline with my electric fan so when it kicks on its pulling air through the IC as well as the radiator.

I can't quote intake temps yet as I'm still getting my new tuning solution setup, soon though!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:42 PM

Turbo4Runner. I have this idea about building a bumper around my intercooler also... Can you post up some pics of your intercooler and routing? I'm interested to see a working setup. Also, is your motor a stock 22rte or do you have any other mods on it? Where is your intake air temp sensor located? Many thanks
Old 08-01-2007, 04:25 PM

I have an update on my intake air temps. I found an old stretch of deserted road today and was doing a little tuning on my truck. Had it pegged at about 120mph for 5 minutes under 10 pounds of boost. Intake air temps were about 92 - 94 degrees. Ambient air temp was about 80 degrees. I've been thinking about our air intake temp sensors location DCG. I don't really know if its getting a heat soak problem, you said these trucks/4 runners usually have 120 degree temps from pulling air from the hot side of the engine compartment. At idle after the pull while i was cooling off the turbo my intake temps rose to about 125... I wonder if thats just from hot air in the engine compartment...

Last edited by TC22RE; 08-01-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:01 PM

I don't know either.. Guys are always trying to open up the intake on these trucks with larger pipes or throttle bodies, which does nothing until you first address that factory AFM... Anyway, I think that a much more productive way to get power would be to get some cold air to this motor. The challenge would be to do it without sucking up water for the guys that do fun..err.. challenging stuff to their vehicles. A 50 degree drop in intake temps (for most of the country) would be a tangible HP improvement on these motors.

I didn't think the 22RTEs needed intercoolers initially, but your results have me convinced.

BTW, the temps I mentioned for the stock 22RE were measure with the stock intake air temp sensor at the AFM. For guys that are curious, the FSM has a scale on air tempature/ohms at that sensor. You can easily check it yourself after running the truck up to tempature.

I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to put a intercooler on my junk.. I built my own bumper, but didn't account for space for an intercooler. I'm also packing a 9k winch, which simply doesn't leave a lot of room. I want to steer clear of blocking the grill.. I'm open to suggestions, otherwise I'll mount one in an ugly location for a while (to see the results) then scrap the bumper (and another 30 hours of work):

Old 08-01-2007, 06:31 PM

Hmmm... maybe it would be possible to mount the intercooler in about the same spot as mine, but at a 45 degree angle, meeting up with the bottom of your bumper with an electric fan behind it... basically about the same spot as the old toyota "skid plate". You wouldn't need a scoop... Or you might be able to fit one in some free space on the intake side of your engine compartment with a fan pulling cold air through some duct work that leads to a newly added hole\grill in your bumper. Just two ideas I've been thinking of.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:48 PM

Run the intake into your air conditioner outlet and turn up the AC full blast
Old 08-01-2007, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by YM13
Run the intake into your air conditioner outlet and turn up the AC full blast
you know i always thought of doing something like that. but by the time the air enters your engine, wont just as hott? correct me if im wrong.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:19 PM

Picture time

Ok, I finally got around to taking some pictures. Not the greatest since I'm some what limited by room (truck is in the garage and doesn't run right this second).

Here's the IC mounted before the bumper was built:

Here's the turbo side and intake, you can see the small hole cut below the filter to allow the pipe through. In the future I'm going to do some kind of cold air/water protection setup:

Here's where it comes out on the driver side to the inlet of the IC. Notice the brackets, strong enough to support a winch:

More brackets:

Side view during assembly:

You can see where the winch will go (also works great for a tool box while your under the hood), it'll somewhat impact the flow to the IC, but not bad.

The lower side of the front, I'm planning on putting some expanded metal to further protect from rocks and debris:

Outlet of the IC, curves around and up to the TB:

Back into the engine:

Here's an angled view during assembly, it gives you a pretty good idea what is going to look like:

I'll get some shots of the full bumper when I can drive her out of the garage.

I just need to get my MegaSquirt sorted out, then it's time for some fun.

Quick Reply: intercooler