Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Insurance help? Figuring out how to handle fender bender...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Insurance help? Figuring out how to handle fender bender...

I hit an icy patch turning a right corner at low speed and slid into an older CRV, damaging his front driver door slightly, and rear driver-side door extensively (body only, window still functioned). If it's anyone's fault, it's mine for failure to control the vehicle, though I was moving about 5mph.

The guy got an estimate, which worked out to $3200 for both doors, but offered up that he'd take $2000 in cash for just the rear door and call it a day to keep the damage off his title and avoid possibility of a total (like I said, older CRV). $2000 is no small potatoes, so I'm tempted to just run it through insurance, so I can also cover the damage to my truck (left corner light, bumper and cap, and small dent in fender). I'm trying to figure out the following and need some help:
- Will filing a claim require a police report, and if so are they required to assign blame and issue me a citation? This is in California.
- Assuming I'll also get a citation, is it still worth it to go through insurance and just have everything paid for?

I should add that the guy with the CRV has been super amenible and I really appreciate the offer from him and want to make sure I do right in the situation.

Thanks all.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i don't know your driving record, but if it were me i would let the insurance handle it. hope you got a police report.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you've had previous accidents and report it to your insurance, your premium may go up. I've had fender benders where the police didn't even show up making it his word against mine with the insurance! I ended up winning anyway. I'm not sure exactly how it works in California though. I don't think either of us got a citation for that one.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:01 AM

insurance companies are shady. becareful when you engage with them in terms of filing claims and making the recorded statements. the ins co will do everything they can to avoid paying out a claim. if there was no police report taken at the time of collision, none willbe availible for the ins co. we assume information was exchanged and all, so..... was any fault admitted on scene? witnesses? injuries?(not likely with what was described) type of coverage?

-premiums may and prolly will go up
-if you are deemed responsible, you will have an accident on your insurance record and dmv may be notified(esp with other circumstances ie speed, alcohol, drugs)
-if the claim is filed by you and you are not deemed responsible the ins co goes after other parties ins for repair costs.
problem with reporting is sometimes the stain hangs around for a while and can affect insurance rates, resale value and in some cases driving record.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your SOL b/c the ins company will say its your fault, wonder why the PD wasnt there and a report filed, wonder why it aint been reported sooner, etc.

Pay the man the cash and let it go and fix your truck later.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CJM
Pay the man the cash and let it go and fix your truck later.
How bad is $2k going to hurt you?
Have you seen the estimates on the damage that he's quoting?

It's good that you're owning up to the responsibility here - and if I was in your shoes, I'd probably just pay it - after getting a receipt for the payment and verifing 2 estimates on the damage, of course..
Old 03-11-2008, 04:36 PM

Update:
Talked off the record with insurance agent. If I'm decided at fault, my rates go up ~$800/yr for 3 years, or $2400. However, there is a possibility of no fault especially considering the conditions.

The other driver is also state farm insurance, so it probably means little in the way of battling for fault, except between me and the insurance company, and I if I do right by the other drivers and make sure they're fully repaired, they will help corroborate that I was moving at an extremely slow speed and conditions were just terrible (storming and road was solid ice).

I decided to take my chances with insurance for two reasons. First, there's a chance it'll be no fault and this is that sort of thing I have insurance for. Second, I want to do the right thing for the other driver who was certainly not at fault and has a busted car that his wife needs to drive and his kids need to ride in.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats what insurance is for hope it doesnt ahppen again.. BE CAREFUL