Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Injuries when working on your truck/4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not that much, just bloody hands from cuts. Oh, metal in my eye from trying to remove the cat. IT hurt, then it somehow got out after my eye started to water (not crying, lol.)

Some of these posts have made me cringe.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
lmao, OH YEAH, I almost forgot!

long before I ever owned a Yota, I had to get six stitches in my left arm from the skid-plate on a Runner (or was it a Rav4 I dunno...), lmao

work'n at Jiffy Jube, I was too lazy to drop the skid-plate, so I decided to reach up and around it to put a wrench on the drain plug. well when it broke free my arm pushed right onto the edge of the skid, and gashed me purdy good. then had to go wait at a clinic for the rest of the day ( still on the clock ) till they called me back, gave the area a few numbing shots, cleaned it up really good and then pushed the fatty tissue back in ( that was horrible to watch... I probably would have punched that doctor if he wouldn't have numbed it ), and stitched er all back up

then they wouldn't take the stitches out cause they said the area look inflamed... WELL OF COARSE! it was right on the inside of my elbow; it got constant movement!

so I went home and pulled the damn things out myself... told work they took em out

but yeah, that was fun; that's my first real memorable moment with Toyota

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-20-2009 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by 24Runna
then it somehow got out after my eye started to water (not crying, lol.)
Thats what the tear glands are for, to wash things outta the eye...
Old 02-20-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a recently healed gash on my finger from my truck bed conversion.

I was putting the tarp on my uncompleted 4Runner bed a few weeks ago, and the side bed rail was still a raw, freshly cut, vertical piece of sheet metal. I drug my finger across accidentally and "Ow".

It felt like a paper cut, and I didn't really notice until I left a streak of blood across the tarp. It bled a lot worse than it was. No stitches needed or anything.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T-1000

It felt like a paper cut, and I didn't really notice until I left a streak of blood across the tarp. It bled a lot worse than it was. No stitches needed or anything.
Yea thats what i felt when my hand slid across a truck bed side.

My post is on here if you havent read it.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3/8" diameter black spot of dead blood and detritus working itself down my thumb nail from the hammer blow I received while trying to loosen the @$&(#!* cone washers from my locking hubs a couple months ago (wipes tear)
Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 PM

not too many just the regular. my aunt and uncle cant figure out y my hands stay a lil black for a couple of days after i work in my truck.
i had 1 when i was working on my car (aka my dads car) was underneath it and on a crawler and u know how u automatically flinch away from pain when u are not expecting it? accidentaly slightly bumped my forehead on a pointy bolt and ended up bouncing my head between the bolt and corner of the crepper about 3 or 4 times.

another 1 while i was helping my buddy change a ball joint on his lil nissan nx and we tried everything to get the er out. damn nissan and their presses in ball joints. ended up using 2 propane torches and got it red hot and had a mini sledge in 1 hand and a 32mm socket in the other hand holding the socket. oops sry jsut remembered it was slamming the new 1 in and my hand shifted and got my hand between the socket and the hammer. literally blew a hole in my hand where it was pinched right below the pinky on the calus. got a nice scar there. gonna be there for a long time. lol

i dont really care about the scars tho. i think it just adds to your list of stories. i tried to count alll the scars on my hands once........couldnt count high enough.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 PM

my funniest was using a drill press freehand, when the bracket i was making stuck to the bit and started spinning around, i ducked, heard the thing fly off, and found it stuck into my wall. Truth was, i was more worried about it breakin one of my car windows...
Old 02-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Originally Posted by surf4runner
sure, blame the injury
its not a 'mallet knuckle' is it???
Do I even want to know what a mallet knuckle is???
The tendon was cut so that the last joint doesn't bend, just sticks straight out like a morning
um...
and on that note...

Originally Posted by a4runnerfreak
I bet your version of the birds and the bees "talk" is rather interesting, Hab.....
Here it is:

Part 1)
If you get within 3 feet of it, it's gonna end up costing you way more than it was ever worth and don't think it won't.

Part 2)
It's what your father and I do.

You know I meant morning ray of sunshine,
right?
Old 02-20-2009, 06:58 PM

not an injury and not me but my buddy was helping me with my new carb and we were figuring out vaccume lines and fuel lines and stuff. so to find where everything led to we busted out the air compressor. long story short one of the lines was pointing at his face and when i blasted air through it we found out it was a gas line. emptied the entire bowl in his face
Old 02-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

oh, and does brake cleaner in the eyes count too?

I was thinking my idle-up valve was not working properly, so I thought I could pull it off and maybe clean it up. Lol, so I put the little hose on the brake cleaner can and stuck it down in one ot the vaccum ports on it, and when I spray in, and shot right back out into both of my eyes...

I've never felt burning like that before... I said some words that I didn't think I knew... my eye's burned for 3 days, and everyone thought I was stoned cause they stayed blood-shot for that long too...

that was an absolutely horrible exprience... I'll smash fingers and take stitches before I do that $#!@ again... seriously...
Old 02-20-2009, 07:09 PM

i put a gash on the knuckle closed to my arm/wrist on my right thumb with a grinder. it was only about half and inch long but it was pretty deep, but no blood because the cutting wheel was so hot, and the skin melted. i have a nice little scar
Old 02-20-2009, 07:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 88Cleve4runner
i put a gash on the knuckle closed to my arm/wrist on my right thumb with a grinder. it was only about half and inch long but it was pretty deep, but no blood because the cutting wheel was so hot, and the skin melted. i have a nice little scar
that sounds... plesant... the thought of melting skin brings me warmth
Old 02-20-2009, 07:32 PM

whoa superbleeder, u changed ur avatar

nice
Old 02-20-2009, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by xzyragon
whoa superbleeder, u changed ur avatar

nice
haha, why yes I did, thanks!

got bored after work, so before I left I snapped some pics with my phone in our back lot

Last edited by iamsuperbleeder; 02-20-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by space-junk
my dad accidentally lowered a SBC 350 onto my hand when we were installing it into my sisters 79 pick-up... not fun having your hand trapped between a 500 lb. motor and the motor mount...
I had that happen to me, but it was only a 200 lb. honda motor, thank god it wasn't a freaking 350.

Last edited by coheed; 02-21-2009 at 10:28 AM.