Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Injuries when working on your truck/4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, changing lower ball joints on an old F-word pickup I used to have...

WOULD NOT BUDGE!! I go get a l-o-n-g cheater bar to put on the breaker bar I'm already using...

Because I'm uber-intelligent, I use it in a way that I'm pulling on it, rather than pushing.

End result: me on on one knee in the driveway, wind completely knocked out of me (later to find out I cracked ribs), one broken breaker bar, one hysterical then-six-year-old running in the house screaming, "Daddy's dying in the driveway! Daddy's dying in the driveway!"
Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AHAHHHHAAAAA!!! "daddys dying in the driveway" lol thats great.

But cracked ribs suck. I had those before.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by dport
fractured my hand working on my old truck when I was 16 and ful of piss. I was trying to install a new lifter pump and couldn't get the last bolt in. So, as I'm saying screw it and crawling out from under the truck, I hit my head on the transfercase, which sends me over the edge. As I stand up I hit the first thing I saw. Result, fractured hand. I also later placed 4 perfect dimples along top of the bed of that truck with my knuckles. That was kinda funny because a lot of ppl figured out that they were in fact knuckle imprints. I had a lot of anger in my youth
lmao, I demolished the front window of my cherokee in a similar manor when I was 17 after the alt went out and it died on me in the middle of the night... hit it in 3 different places, it spidered all the way across, and I had some bloody nuckles when I was done... but it did calm me down some, lmao
Old 02-20-2009, 10:06 AM

trying to get to the PS pump belt tensioner on my 3.4. The corners of the clamps for the intake are freaking sharp. 4th tim it got me i finally got smart and took it off, 2 mo later its finally healed over and left a scar of my arm haha
Old 02-20-2009, 10:31 AM

Location: Henderson, Nevada. Two traffic lights away from Vegas!
OUch!

Since I have owned my 4Runner it has tasted my blood many a time. And my friends too!
Mostly bashed knuckles, and a smashed pinky nail that totally feel off later on.
My girlfriend from time to time will come out and see what I'm doing. She says if she hears me cursing she wont even come close to the garage. In other words she knows something got cut or banged up or doesnt want to come off or go on.
Havent had nothing really bad happen yet. Knock on wood....knock, knock.
My buddy Will who has helped me through my rebuild and many other stuff on my 4Runner seems to always cut himself.
For me it is always expected to happen at some time or another. Just part of the deal when working on cars and trucks.
Good times! We all got the scars to prove we like what we are doing!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:10 AM

Nothing to bad ever with my 4runner but one time i was working on a mazda 323 hatchback that was just up on the jack with the rear tires off. I went under it to disconnect the muffler and my buddy came over and thought he would mess around with the jack. Ended up dropping the jack down and the car right on my chest. I was freaking out for a min that a car was on me. That was until I realized that the stupid car was light enough for me hold it up long enough for my friend to jack it back up and keep it from breaking my ribs. That was fun times!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by oddjob1370
Nothing to bad ever with my 4runner but one time i was working on a mazda 323 hatchback that was just up on the jack with the rear tires off. I went under it to disconnect the muffler and my buddy came over and thought he would mess around with the jack. Ended up dropping the jack down and the car right on my chest. I was freaking out for a min that a car was on me. That was until I realized that the stupid car was light enough for me hold it up long enough for my friend to jack it back up and keep it from breaking my ribs. That was fun times!!!
I'd be pissed at the buddy...that could've been serious...
Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm always gettin general cuts and bruises from working on the toys. I slashed my thumb pretty good cutting out the doors for speakers before...that wasn't pretty, it was the kind of cut that doesn't hurt, or bleed at first. So I kept working....then the blood, then the pain lol.

O yea, ripping the crap out of my arm trying to get to the tranny bolts... that sucks.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:18 AM

My knuckles are usually pretty messed up from changing oil on various cars.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by 894x4pickup
I'd be pissed at the buddy...that could've been serious...
I was laughing after because my sister started calling 911 as soon as it dropped had to calm her down. I then had to call 911 back and say i was ok and not to send anyone. She took it out on my friend for making her freak out
Old 02-20-2009, 11:43 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
another time me and my brother in law were installing a new stereo in my sister's truck... i was about 14 or 15 and he was 19... well, we ran all the wires and then went to hook up the harness, but forgot that we had the power wire hot... well, when we pulled it thru the dash it shocked the heck outta him because his arm was resting on the dash... lol... good times...
Old 02-20-2009, 11:56 AM

Mostly just busted knuckles and hitting my head on something underneath my truck, Recently i was using a grinder on my bumper and i couldnt find the guard for it so i decided to use it anyways, i got my left index finger pretty good with it, lots of blood, i went inside put a band aid over it and went back to grinding and then did it again so that time i had a deeper cut with bits of cotton and melted band aid inside of it. That was a good time
Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM

i cought on fire couple times,i just wont learn,just make sure you keep an water extinguisher near ya when you cut with acetylene torch!

nothin bad thoe,i had just minor burns,nothin to brag about!

ho yea thats the funiest, i received an broken flying saucer grinder disc in the middle of my forehead thank god i had my glasses on,and a tuque!
thoses really hurt!!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM

it wasnt this truck it was my ford and i was checking the tension of the serpt. blet i just put on and the truck was running and it was squeaking hence why i was checking it i had a rag wraped around my middle finger and i was pushing on the belt from the under side of it where the grooves are and a thread from the rag got pulled into the power steering pullie and my middle finger went through the pullie while the truck was ideling at about 850rpms broke my finger nail off and cut the tip of my finger off about the width of a pen needles to say i was pissed and more worried about my rag i had no idea how bad my finger was nor did i realize that there was a metal fan still ideling at about 850 rpms about a foot from my face as i was still looking for my rag i was even more mad cause the belt was ruined after my finger went through the pullie it poped the belt more than half way off the pullie so it broke it in half needles to say i paid someone else to put the blet on
Old 02-20-2009, 12:26 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I am in no way financialy or physically resposible for injuries while installing parts I sold you. <-had to get that outta the way. Lol. Damn scott, Sucks you got hurt, ill take a pick of the carnage, 21oh-9oh2-9oh5four.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by habanero
Fried nuts and zapped hootus?
Dinner's served?
I try to keep nuts and hootuses away from my mouth actually.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by Matt16
I try to keep nuts and hootuses away from my mouth actually.
Only try?!!?
"There is no try, only do" -Yoda
Old 02-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 477 Likes on 321 Posts
Oops! Girl humor!

Truthfully, just the thought of all that makes me glad I'm an innie!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:57 PM

a guy i use to work with ran himself over.

yes thats right!
working on the driveline and didnt chock the wheels. turned the driveshaft while under it and it rolled over him... in his own driveway.
the bruising went away, but the hiliarity is still there.
even the paramedics that helped him came in the store and we always

Originally Posted by B. Graves
i cant work on my truck or 4wheeler without drawing blood for some reason.
Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
i cant even do an oil change on my 4runner without getting a bloddy knuckle or a small cut
isnt that a castrol oil commercial?
castrol stops the bleeding too?

i judge my sucess by how few cuts i end up with when the day is over. very few have ended w/o blood.
most require some duct tape till i wash...

Originally Posted by habanero
I do have a severed tendon on my pinky finger, right hand.
Now I'm snooty when I drink my beer.
sure, blame the injury
its not a 'mallet knuckle' is it???

i watched my ex have hers sewn back together.
the dr made back away so i wouldnt drool in the open wound

the tools looked like these forks
Old 02-20-2009, 01:00 PM

I bet your version of the birds and the bees "talk" is rather interesting, Hab.....

Quick Reply: Injuries when working on your truck/4Runner