Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Imobile 1987 22re with Itasca RV with auto transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 04:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Imobile 1987 22re with Itasca RV with auto transmission problems

HiI have a1987 22re with Itasca RV with auto transmission.i bought her with 55k and currently have 95k and have never had any problem with the tranny. Never shifted hard, never the slightest slipping and did not use overdrive unless I was going downhill with a tailwind which was rare. Pulled over the other night to log in gas mileage and got back on the highway and 1/8 mile later it quit moving in all gears. She will try and move at high rpms . Fluid level was good. I did put about 2 qts of hydraulic tractor oil in about 200 miles ago based on a recommendation. I am in eureka springs Arkansas and so far have not been able to find anyone who can help me with any kind of idea as to a diagnosis. I was enroute to San Diego to spend Christmas with my grandchildren. I've had it towed to my sister's where I had done a head gasket and timing chain under thier car port which is where I am again.

I am fairly capable with a wrench but have never learned anything about trannies. I am 62 and this working on the cold on my back is not easy but I am willing. So my hope with this post is to get some educated ideas of what is entailed in fixing this, options if there are any. I have found very little on line with the exception that one guy found a broken o ring on a valve body that was the problem. I put in a quart of Lucas treatment but no help. I also read the 3 internal solinoud could be the problem along with possible valve body. Anyone with any knowledge I would greatly appreciate your help with your advice and if you think I would even be capable of the endeavor.

The metal ID plate on it says model #03.71 and I think a Asine transmission.

It just quit, just like that. I have the recalled rear end on her.

Thank you, humbly hopeful, Jeff

What I did not mention was that when I broke down I was 5 miles from a salvage yard in berryville Arkansas that is comprised of mainly 1980,s Toyota pickups. Marcos the owner and new friend came and towed me back to his place with a special Toyota tow bar and here I sit until being moved to my sister's. He has many manual transmissions but no automatic with the exception of 1 that matches but he was told it was no good when he got it. I was wondering if even though it is no good maybe they'd parts in it I could use. I cannot believe I am broke down in a sea of 80,s Toyota parts, but not what I need.

humbly hopeful

Last edited by dropzone; 12-18-2021 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:12 AM
YT Community Team

Received 907 Likes on 647 Posts
Well, if you had a perfectly functioning transmission 200 miles ago, and things went south after the tractor oil was added I think you can narrow down the possibilities. I'm not a oil expert by any stretch, but that's terrible advice to give someone on their vehicle. Experiment on your own truck, but not someone else.

At this point I'd pull the trans pan and look for debris from the clutch packs. If there isn't any I guess you could try and flush the oil out(the converter will be the issue), but I suspect the clutch packs absorbed quite a bit and got ruined. Properly flushing an auto trans requires special equipment, and it's a gamble on whether it makes a change.
Rebuilding an auto transmission is one of the harder items to tackle. You need proper tools and a very good manual. And A/T have a fairly complex network of passages and valves running the fluid, and cleaning everything of the residual tractor oil will not be fun, or cheap. Probably best to source out a reman.

Toyota never intended for their trucks to haul this kind of weight. Clearly you're not satisfied with the way it performs, most of your posts have dealt with trying to alter the mechanical side of the vehicle to make improvements(I'm guessing that's where the tractor oil comes in). I assure you there is very little you can do to make any real changes. Throw in a reman trans, sell it, and go find a RV with a Ford V10 E450.

Last edited by Jimkola; 12-18-2021 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:10 AM

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
jimkola has it right. really, you put hydraulic tractor oil in your automatic transmission? and it failed 200 miles later? and you weren't able to make the connection between the action and the outcome? damn.

the transmission almost certainly specifies ATF of some rating, rather than hydraulic oil. you might as well have added beach sand at the dipstick/fill tube.
The following users liked this post:
Jimkola (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 10:33 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts
time to replace it
The following 2 users liked this post by dropzone:
Jimkola (12-18-2021), old87yota (12-18-2021)
Old 01-04-2022, 10:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you every one for your replies. I have not had access to my emails for a couple weeks and that is why I have not had the opportunity to read or thank you. Anyhow am just getting back to where my RV is sitting after a two week absence and am going to start with a flush and see if any improvement comes with it. Thank you again. Wish you all well , in this new year