Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

i'm gonna start slow,

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Yeah I know about the oil catching the dirt, but in my personal 50,000 mile test too much dirt went through the filter (and yes it was oiled per instructions). To me the whole point of a filter is to filter dirt. If I had a K&N intake on my truck I'd ditch the filter and replace it with an Amsoil replacement. Amsoil makes a new nano fiber filter that has great test results.
word, whatever floats ur boat man.

a couple inches does make a pretty big difference.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:24 PM

so, i just saw that sticky posted in this section about the "special services" about the steering... what's up with that? should i concern myself with that?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Killer
so, i just saw that sticky posted in this section about the "special services" about the steering... what's up with that? should i concern myself with that?
Might want to do it, although some have had problems with the replacement relay rod bending. Personally if I had a relay rod that had lasted 13 years without a problem and the new replacement was easier to bend than the old one I'd be tempted to keep the old one. I'd at least keep an eye on it and look for cracks every oil change.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:05 PM

for better fuel economy, keep up on routene maintence, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

i think a header would help you out a little also.
remember you want to breath, breath in a bunch of air and then try to blow it all out through a straw really fast.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:19 PM

i'll look into headers and exhaust... thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'll look into headers and exhaust... thanks
Headers and exhaust won't really help fuel milage as much as making sure you burn the fuel as much as possible.
Keep eveything tuned up and make sure the injectors are clean.
The problem is not a lack of air flow in and/or exhaust out, but rather the vaporization of the fuel that's being delivered for total combustion.
Air temperature makes a big difference, hotter is better in the case of either of these two engines as it helps vaporize the fuel better.

K&N's are well known and proven to pass a lot of crap that the OEM style filters catch and the K&N's won't do anything for you. Air flow, or rather lack of air flow, is not the problem.

Fred
Old 05-07-2007, 05:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
x2 on the k&n's. just got my 3vze rebuilt and the mechanic said that k&n's don't do the job. they're messy and don't filter enough.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:37 AM

thanks guys, i really appreciate all the help...

what do u recommend for a filter? i'll run some fuel system cleaner when i fill up tonight.

anyone heard of a "floblade" or anything similar.. saw them on ebay.. it's a ring that you put in your intake, and it's suppose to cause a vortex going into your throttle body, thus allowing better combustion, saving gas and raising hp....

like i said i'm a noob, so take it easy on me.. lol but is that thing for real? or a waste of time...
Old 05-08-2007, 05:52 AM
Contributing Member

what do u recommend for a filter?
I'd be using one of these if they had one to fit my air box:
https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/eaa.aspx

anyone heard of a "floblade" or anything similar.. saw them on ebay.. it's a ring that you put in your intake, and it's suppose to cause a vortex going into your throttle body, thus allowing better combustion, saving gas and raising hp....

like i said i'm a noob, so take it easy on me.. lol but is that thing for real? or a waste of time...
Waste of time & $$$
Old 05-08-2007, 07:07 AM

that's what i figured... i may just grab some scrap metal and make one.. see if it does anything at all..
Old 05-08-2007, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

that's what i figured... i may just grab some scrap metal and make one.. see if it does anything at all..
You can make your own snake oil too, while you're at it.

BTW here's some more reading about thread titles:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74565

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-08-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
You can make your own snake oil too, while you're at it.

BTW here's some more reading about thread titles:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74565

how can i make a specific thread title when i know that over the next couple weeks i'm gonna be asking numerous questons about this truck... and not all will be about the same subject... i may have tire questions one day, and wiring questions the next... and i'd rather be able to pull up one thread, then find ten different ones i made...
Old 05-08-2007, 12:02 PM

DOWNEY headers & exhaust system. That's what I have, they increase pickup and they dont take mileage away. Also, try removing unneeded weight.
For example, today I removed my tailgate because I never use it.

I am purchasing HANNEMANN fiberglass fenderflares in the next couple weeks, as well. Pretty cheap.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

how can i make a specific thread title when i know that over the next couple weeks i'm gonna be asking numerous questons about this truck... and not all will be about the same subject... i may have tire questions one day, and wiring questions the next... and i'd rather be able to pull up one thread, then find ten different ones i made...
Well I guess you could do something like "All of Killer's newbie questions because I'm too lazy to search thread" Oops just kidding But really you'll find you'll get more help on a particular topic by attracting the people who know about the topic with a good title. Plus its better for the YT community as a whole because lots of people actually do search for answers with the search button and searching the titles only with the "advanced search" feature is a great way to find answers. Plus you won't have to worry about your thread getting deleted without notice because you didn't follow the rules.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-08-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

OMG another thread asking what gearing for 33's......

Step one click on SEARCH
Step two type in Regearing

Showing results 1 to 25 of 615
Search took 0.20 seconds.

Step three read for hours and hours and hours
Old 05-08-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<SNIP>

<SNIP>
People who make/market/sell these pieces of crap should be taken out behind the woodshed and thoughly whipped.

If what they claim is true, then why do engine builders, intake designers, head builders, etc., spend zillions and zillions trying to design heads, intakes, etc., with the SMOOTHEST air flow possible, that is the LEAST amount of turbulance ?

ANY turbulance in the air flow is a bad thing. It cause more of the little droplets of fuel to touch and when they do, they instantly combine to make a bigger droplet, which doesn't burn as well, has a ton less surface area, doesn't move along the intake path as well, etc., and so on.

PURE BULL CRAP those "tornado" and other like devices are.

Fred
Old 05-08-2007, 05:24 PM

Awesome man,glad to see your going to keep the truck. I'm the one who posted this site on IA for you when you were selling your truck.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Something to consider is the price of a new part compared to the amount you'd actually be saving in mileage.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:11 PM

i switched from 33s to 31s asap due to poor handling and being slower (22re) and yes, to save on gas............i can't tell you the diff in milage b/c i have not driven it nuff on the 33s but the 31 sure handle nicer (they're at's vs. mt's too) and the truck feels peppier. doesn't look as cool though
Old 05-09-2007, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by TFJ-4runner
Awesome man,glad to see your going to keep the truck. I'm the one who posted this site on IA for you when you were selling your truck.
no, he sold it to me! lol.. killer.. his name was nissangeek. he wanted my hatch so...

Quick Reply: i'm gonna start slow,