Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

IFS lift now or save and do SAS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:56 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Take your ifs to it's limits, learn how to wheel , and get comfy wheeling your truck. When you start breaking the ifs parts left and right then it's time for a sas. Until then take tc's advice armor gears/lockers and tires.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the OP, why do you "think" you need a SFA?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Eventually. In the next six months the sas will come. Until then lockers and such will be added once I figure that out :p
Old 07-24-2009, 09:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by toyolove
Eventually. In the next six months the sas will come. Until then lockers and such will be added once I figure that out :p
Don't waste your money on a front locker then if in 6 months your going to SAS the carrier in front IFS is 7.5 in a solid axle its an 8" like the rear
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 PM

Haha sorry but I don't quite understand how the locker works yet....
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 PM

Old 07-24-2009, 09:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Timeout. If you don't know what a locker does, then what are you doing worrying about SAS??????

When you run out of traction, one tire/ axle spins, the other tire (the one with traction) sits doing nothing. A locker sends power evenly to both wheels when engaged so that the wheel with traction always gets power. In many situations, a locked 2wd truck will go as far as a unlocked 4wd- because both trucks have two wheels being powered.

Last edited by Matt16; 07-24-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:06 PM

Haha well I meant I don't know how its mounted :p

Yea I wouldn't want it if I didn't know how it works but I don't know how it fits into the truck yet
Old 07-25-2009, 07:37 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CTRJ
To the OP, why do you "think" you need a SFA?
Haha well I meant I don't know how its mounted :p
Then you need to do A LOT of research before you're ready for a SAS. Can you weld? Well enough to trust your life on it?

Because, if you have to pay someone to do the SAS, the return on investment just really isn't there. Doing it PROPERLY (axle trussing, gears, lockers, Longfields) to get the advantages of the SFA will run you about $3000. You can almost add that much AGAIN to have the install done.

For $3k - $6k you can buy a helluva built rig ...
Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 AM

Haha so true, I've lost my life to this site and the searcha engine. I don't know how to weld, YET. But ill learn. I will definatly not get the SAS if I'm not doing it myself. So I better learn soon. This site helps to catch up quick and has plenty of info
Old 07-25-2009, 08:35 AM

i got a roughcountry 4in ifs lift and it did amazing off road but the only problem i came to was with my ADD system on days it would work and others it wouldnt so like stated before me armor gears locker and tires then when you have the money SAS that sucker and get you a locker for the front and go tear up some mud hahahahahaha in hind sight i wish i saved the money up for a SFA but i was so gungho about lifting my truck i didnt care how it was lifted and the time and money i spent on putting my lift on i wish i did a SFA it took me almost 4 days to get my LCAs off for the ifs lift i had to cut 3 bolts and when you add in the cost of my sawzall blades and cuttoff wheels and the money it was costing me to have my truck sit i should have done the sas the lift i got was only about 675 including shipping and about another 200 to 300 dollars for like bushings my gas to go around and get my cutting parts and wd40 and stuff and food and drinks my total price came out to around 1500 for the lift and for that much i could have gotten the SAS kit and been well on my way. so my suggestion to you is save all your money and do it all at once
Old 07-25-2009, 08:39 AM

You got sas'd on $1500??
Old 07-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Contributing Member

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by scuba
Take your ifs to it's limits, learn how to wheel , and get comfy wheeling your truck. When you start breaking the ifs parts left and right then it's time for a sas. Until then take tc's advice armor gears/lockers and tires.

x2.

This one time at Reiter pit we helped recover a $40k buggy rig on its first day in the dirt and obviously day one for the driver:

Oh and do the research. Ultimately, just wheel. Get out there and enjoy your truck no matter the configuration.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
x2.

This one time at Reiter pit we helped recover a $40k buggy rig on its first day in the dirt and obviously day one for the driver:

Oh and do the research. Ultimately, just wheel. Get out there and enjoy your truck no matter the configuration.
Yea that sounds good. I already take my truck out every now and then and I doubt ill start breaking/destroying/obliterating anything yet but if I do hopwfully ill have the skill, and knowledge to do the SAS and use it to its potential. Its always the driver not the car right?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Its always the driver not the car right?
Indeed.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:55 AM

Now if only I can find some guys like like to wheel in castro valley. I should move to washington, I would fit in more.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:58 AM
Contributing Member

Put an invitation and see who rogers up
Old 07-25-2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by securekey
Not to offend anyone... but I don't know why you would buy an IFS truck in the first place is you wanted a SFA... I know I will offend a few that say "do it right and do it once"... take your own advise... you should have bought a SFA truck !?!

Having now offending everyone... I do think an IFS lift is a waste of money You can put skinny 33's on that thing stock and run pretty near anywhere.
I think I have to agree. I run stock hieght with 31 x 10.50. Just replaced the rears with JC springs to fix the sag. I am not locked and everything is stock but this little bugger goes anywhere! If I was to do a lift, even if it was a mild lift like 2". I would go SAS just because if you have a welder and a understanding of mechanics, it is really not all that much harder. And worlds better for offroading. But with that said. I will probably keep mine stock, go with a 1" body lift, air lock my rear, detroit my front and bump up to sklnny 33's and that is realistically the most truck I will ever need.

It really depdends on how hard core you want to get. I have worked on all the suspension, engine and frame issues over the last year. YOu have to start with the basics so you have good bones to build on. Good LUck with it what ever you choose.

Last edited by Evil.Dingo; 07-25-2009 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:06 AM

You got sas'd on $1500??
i wish that was just for my ifs lift for 1500 i think that is more than enough for a sas kit from TG
Old 07-25-2009, 10:09 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I decided against SAS on my '86 because I got a Stage II Pro-Comp Bracket Lift for 150$ used. I bought new Pro Comp ES1000 Shocks, and all new tie rods, ball joints, idler and pitman arm(s), and spend a total of $350 I'd rather go to college then waste money on my pickup right now. Ontop of that I have a 3" PA Body Lift, that I paid 100$ for, I'll be running 36x13.50 IROKS soon.

Quick Reply: IFS lift now or save and do SAS?