Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you can figure out which way the throttle rotates when you step on the pedal, turn the TPS the other way. otherwise, rotate it both ways until you find that spot.
it will be a sudden drop in speed, not a gradual one as you rotate it. if it's a gradual drop in speed, you are telling the ECU that the throttle is opening and it will try to inject more fuel and the rich mixture will cause the rpm's to drop.

Last edited by abecedarian; 08-06-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Okay, no news here. The bottom screw on the tps is not budging, and starting to strip. I hit it with pb blaster twice and will try again in a little bit. If not I guess im gonna have to pull the tb off to get that screw out.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
are you using a 90deg screw driver or can you get to it with a #2 phillips?
if you can get to it with a straight driver, put the driver into the screw head and while putting very slight torque in the loosen direction, tap the head of the screwdriver with a peening hammer or similar. do not try to force it.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

I currently cant find my short phillips. I tried a few other things I had but nothing worked. Space is VERY limited. Not to mention is muggy as a mofo outside right now....
Old 08-06-2008, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
Okay, no news here. The bottom screw on the tps is not budging, and starting to strip. I hit it with pb blaster twice and will try again in a little bit. If not I guess im gonna have to pull the tb off to get that screw out.
Threadjack:

Jay i am in exactly the same problem as you with that damn lower screw. Then i started thinking and thanks to you when you said you changed the plug wires and it stopped a different issuse, im hopping its the damn plugs since they haven't been changed by me. Good luck with the TPS, im gonna change the plugs out first before i mess with the tps anymore, hopfully the plugs are the issue with mine.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Contributing Member

Good luck with the plugs, make sure you don't crossthread them!! Some dorknut crossthreaded my number 6 spark plug, I need to helicoil it now

Well, no news, I spend the day washing and touching up the paint. Went wheeling the other day and my paint took it pretty bad, same with the front bumper

Im gonna stop by the stealer tomorrow and order a TB gasket and new bolts for the tps. I will just pull the throttle body and replace the screws, I will also get a chance to clean out the tb
Old 08-06-2008, 06:54 PM

Yea ive pulled the plugs out before, just i am careful when putting them back, i was doing a compression test but the gauge was faulty.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Contributing Member

That sucks! All that work for nothing
Old 08-07-2008, 06:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay351
I don't have a meter or anything like that to check the TPS. But I have to do a few things today, I will unplug the TPS again and go drive around.

I will report back with my findings.

Thanks for all the help guys
If you can... go to your local hardware store, and grab a multimeter, you can prob pick up a cheapo for $10-15, with digital readout, the expensive ones are better, but not necessary, I have the cheapo and it works fine, even if the tps is not your issue, a multimeter is a very handy tool to have.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:52 AM

btw... if the idle did not drop when you jumped the terminals in the diag box... you do likely do have a tps issue, and it could be corrected by setting properly, on a bench with a multimeter. yeah, I would just pull the tb, and adjust that way, also....I have had my tb off several times, and have not yet had to replace the gasket.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Contributing Member

really? Well im going to the stealer anyways to order new bolts I might as well get a gasket too.. Probibly cheap.

I was THIS close to picking up a multimeter the other day when i was at a local tool shop...I shouldve!! I will pick one up today or possibly tomorrow.

Thanks team420
Old 08-08-2008, 07:44 AM

haha...u said stealer and cheap in the same sentence....lol, unless theres a isn't carefully placed between them...I dont think that works
Old 08-09-2008, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Haha, I got my gasket and screw. I paid 1.50 for that little sucker, just for the ease of not having to hunt down one that fits.

Walked into the dealer and the guy behind the counter immedietly calls the parts guy I think they reconize me

Its pissing rain out today, and since I do NOT have a covered work area, its gonna have to wait till it gets nice out. Then the TB is commin off and this stupid TPS is getting adjusted.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:24 PM
Contributing Member

Alright. Pulled the TB off, got the screw out (was stuck pretty good) and cleaned out all the gunk in the tb and intake. I put it all back together, started the truck ,jumped the connectors and adjusted it. Clockwise yeilded a higher idle, counter clockwise caused a sudden drop in idle, not a major drop, but a drop non the less..

I think I should buy the tools needed to check the tps as the FSM says too...
Old 08-11-2008, 01:31 PM

yeah... all u need is a multi meter, and a set of feeler guages, you could prob score both for under $30. They are nice to have....
Old 08-11-2008, 01:32 PM

Probably.

Update on mine jay, not that it matters, but my problem that we were discussing eariler, is for the most part the tps. I unplugged it and it ran friggen much better. Still a little weird. but i bought some new ngk plugs and ill pick up a fuel filter among other things today and hopefully that will be it!

How does it run jay? I was told when you put it on, rotate it slightly untill it changes the idle, up a little i think. THen that is where i set mine.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Team420
yeah... all u need is a multi meter, and a set of feeler guages, you could prob score both for under $30. They are nice to have....
I will pick up a set next time im out and about.....

Originally Posted by 904_runner
Probably.

Update on mine jay, not that it matters, but my problem that we were discussing eariler, is for the most part the tps. I unplugged it and it ran friggen much better. Still a little weird. but i bought some new ngk plugs and ill pick up a fuel filter among other things today and hopefully that will be it!

How does it run jay? I was told when you put it on, rotate it slightly untill it changes the idle, up a little i think. THen that is where i set mine.

Mine did run better with the tps unplugged, but I really didnt think much of it. Good thinkin, ngks are good stuff Good luck with the fuel filter, mine needs replacing and its stuck in there puuuurdy good!

I have not taken the truck driving yet. I only ran it for a little while to burp the radiator. I forgot there were coolant lines on the tb so I spilled a good amount out all over my crossover

I will probibly drive it around tonight or tomorrow, so I will report back with the idle and overall "performance".
Old 08-11-2008, 02:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my trail rig runs better with the tps unplugged after i almost hydro-locked before the snorkel......

will this just give me bad gas milage till i find a junkyard tps?
or should i plug it in and run sputtered
Old 08-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Contributing Member

It should only give you bad mpg... I think
Old 08-11-2008, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

Okay, I drove the truck around a little... HORRIBLE! Before the truck drove great, great throttle response, no issues BUT the varing idle. Now I have horrible throttle response and general crappyness..

If I shift up, go back on the gas nothing happens for a sec then all of a sudden I get power again... So.... now that its worse then before, what should I do?

Quick Reply: Idle problem