Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I may have ruined my throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone attempted to replace the o-ring on the idle adj screw? I have a 22re, but I assume the screw is the same on the 3.0. If anyone has, I was wondering which o-ring size fits best to replace it. Thanks.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mt_goat
Check your ATF dipstick, does your ATF look like a strawberry milkshake?
Uh-oh.......
Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bako88
Has anyone attempted to replace the o-ring on the idle adj screw? I have a 22re, but I assume the screw is the same on the 3.0. If anyone has, I was wondering which o-ring size fits best to replace it. Thanks.
Don't remember the size offhand, but I just went to Lowe's with the idle screw and matched an o-ring from the hardware dept.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red stuff in the radiator, being an automatic, sounds like the ATF cooler line inside the radiator burst! Do what Mt.Goat said-check the fluids in the tranny.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK I'll check the transmission dip stick

I'll check the transmission dip stick and see if the fluid looks like a strawberry milk shake and good call by the way.I would have never thought that red putty like substance in the radiator would be from a tranny line busting....the putty never goes away every time I check the radiator fluid the putty sticks to the under side of the cap and cloggs the opening and the tank is red inside also.
my guess would have been some kind of stop leak put in by the P.O. but I never seen any that color
I think I'm in for a serious issue and maybe it has something to do with all my tranny grinding issues....I'll try to take a pic of the putty looking red stuff today when I get home from work and post it then
Thanks
Dwayne
Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you losing coolant? You said you added some but it's not clear to me whether you've topped it off more than once or not.

The overheating, poor heater function, and poor idle could all be related to low coolant level. Make sure that you get all the air out of the system. If you're losing coolant, you need to find out where it's going.

As for the red stuff, what others have said makes sense to me.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Check your ATF dipstick, does your ATF look like a strawberry milkshake?
mt goat...I checked the tranny fluid when I got home today and the color is cherry red... not strawberry milkshake...so with that being said I still don't know what the red putty looking stuff is in the radiator.I can see it floating along the top water level in the radiator and can see it in the over flow tank and the old t-stat had a red look to it.I would like to know it there is any kind of stop leak that is red in color?....maybe the p.o. used some?...other than that I really don't know what's going on.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by desconhecido
Are you losing coolant? You said you added some but it's not clear to me whether you've topped it off more than once or not.

The overheating, poor heater function, and poor idle could all be related to low coolant level. Make sure that you get all the air out of the system. If you're losing coolant, you need to find out where it's going.

As for the red stuff, what others have said makes sense to me.
desconhecido...I have topped off the coolant in the past but not many times.I have also replaced the coolant right after I purchased this 4runner July 1st 08
I had to add coolant to the radiator last night to replace the coolant I lost from changing the t-stat and I'll tell you that the coolant that drained out into a container was a red ish color not the normal green sooooo what is going on with that?
Is the engine rusting out on the inside?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:00 PM

Red'ish, as in rust red or more typical of the tranny fluid? Rust is nothing to be concerned about. The blocks are cast iron. It just means that the block needs a good flushing and not merely a drain and refill.

Drain a bit of the tranny fluid and see if there's anything at the bottom.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Red'ish, as in rust red or more typical of the tranny fluid? Rust is nothing to be concerned about. The blocks are cast iron. It just means that the block needs a good flushing and not merely a drain and refill.

Drain a bit of the tranny fluid and see if there's anything at the bottom.
thook....here are some pics of what I'm seeing let me know what you think of this red stuff

It is dark outside so I used a flash and hope you guys can see the red stuff clearly
Dwayne

Last edited by buckz6319; 01-08-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:27 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I Have bought a couple of toyotas that had this red putty stuff floating in the radiator and turned out to be , Headgasket in a Bottle . Apparently previous owners used this block sealer in stead of doing the hole headgasket thing. This stuff lasts a while but eventually it starts to give and come apart.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:29 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Yea I really think its the headgasket in a bottle or block sealer.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

This stuff will clog all the hoses going in to the heater ,pull the hose that goes into the heater valve its going to be all clogged up.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by RMA
This stuff will clog all the hoses going in to the heater ,pull the hose that goes into the heater valve its going to be all clogged up.
RMA...thanks for the reply now I know what is going on but what do I do now....the vin # of this 4runner didn't have a head gasket recall sooo I guess at some point ther was a head gasket or block problem with the P.O....
Old 01-08-2009, 04:45 PM

RMA may be right. I've just never seen anything like that. Regardless of what is, it is going to interfere with the function of components that are sensitive with regards to coolant quality. That's a mess!

That being said, the concern for coolant/ATF breaching is probably moot, but I'd address that coolant funk. I'll bet it's creating the idle problems and temp problems you're seeing. You have the coolant temp sensor/EFI/timing regulation, cold start system, thermostat/engine temp regulation, in cab heat regulation, and cold air idle assistance all effected by the coolant. Flush it and start again with troubleshooting.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:56 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Yea Flush it out completely , do the heater core separately. Be sure to flush it out really good . On a 22re I had to use a compressor to force this stuff out of one of the metal pipes .See what happens after that.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:02 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Grab some of the red stuff , look at it really close, is it a bunch of fibers like cloth. Sometimes you can see some of the fibers .This stuff works but only temporary, sorry to say but you may need a rebuild or a new motor .
Old 01-08-2009, 05:03 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Or at the very least do the headgasket
Old 01-08-2009, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by thook
RMA may be right. I've just never seen anything like that. Regardless of what is, it is going to interfere with the function of components that are sensitive with regards to coolant quality. That's a mess!

That being said, the concern for coolant/ATF breaching is probably moot, but I'd address that coolant funk. I'll bet it's creating the idle problems and temp problems you're seeing. You have the coolant temp sensor/EFI/timing regulation, cold start system, thermostat/engine temp regulation, in cab heat regulation, and cold air idle assistance all effected by the coolant. Flush it and start again with troubleshooting.
thook.......thanks again for the info... and what will be the best flush to use? in your opinion....I'll try to do the flush Saturday if it's not raining here....GOSH!.... HEAD GASKET IN A BOTTLE...thanks to ALL for the diagnosis....
Old 01-08-2009, 05:05 PM

To be honest, I'm not sure since I've never dealt with anything like that. I'd say Prestone flush or similar, but maybe RMA has a better suggestion?

Quick Reply: I may have ruined my throttle body?