Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I love roll bars (56k death)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are all pics of Roll BARS not CAGES! Dont be dumb and say its useless. Id rather have it than nothing at all. It may not protect as well as a full blown exocage or interior cage but its also not exhaust tubing. A Light Bar just bolts to the gutters to hold lights. And to whoever says the light mounting points are useless or that the lights will fall off as soon as a branch hits them should think about how solid the light is or how its mounted.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everybody has their own opinions and everybody wheels differently...Just come wheeling with my group of wheeling buddies once and see how long those lights last. I've seen guys say F- that on many occasions, turn tail and run beacause they are worried about getting a scratch... my attitude is it's way more fun when u don't care about body damage, matter of fact those dents give my truck way more characteristic. Sure they may be useful for night wheeling or chopping wood in the dark or whatever, but I'm not mounting my $200 set of PIAA's up on top of my exocage for any reason. Bought them new, ran em on my heep. Windshield brakets, and the tree branches even tried to get them there countless times there. Haven't found a good enough spot yet to mount em on the TuRD so they are taking up space in my basement for now.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:46 AM

case in point

Random mud bog on a random farm. Somehow got in a drainage ditch and the only way my old heep would go on it's own power was downhill. not sure if the only thing keeping it somewhat upright was all the brush or the V shape of the ravine it was in. One of the few times the ARB front, ford 8.8 ls rear and 35's didn't get me out. Had to get pulled through the whole way cause I was closer to the end than the beginning.

See that pebble my fron tire's parked on?

Caused this little ding but made it the whole way over. Yotas rock cause the old heep broke 2 times, same spot, doing the same thing... one time broke both ball joints and lost the whole spindle and wheel. Now that sucked for a trail repair even just getting it off the pile.

and way too many more to list

Last edited by jimep; 12-01-2009 at 04:50 AM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:48 AM

and one more

No way a roll bar alone could have saved Eddys Yota from a cracked windshield here. lights might have helped him see the hole though.... Maybe he should've had a little Captain in him.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:15 AM

jimep:

I don't see a single roll bar in your pics! Wtf? Posting in here why?
Old 12-02-2009, 11:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ogclew
what type of RC is that?? Exactly, custom made?

very cool trucks!
no man, it's a production model, i have the box. bought it on fleabay. it's definitely old skool. if you look at the pic with the remote in it, you can see part of the name: Radio Elecon. yeah i never heard of them either. it's not radioshack tho. the thing has a switch in the bed for hi and low gear, but it's only rear wheel drive. (prerunner!)

i've been collecting Toy toys since i got mine. i also have two Nylint 4Runners and one pickup that's new in box. the runners are a little beat, so i'm going to paint one up to match my truck. yes, they have a removable top too!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
so i have a stainless steel (supposedly) light bar. It somehow has some rust on it. u guys think i should try to paint it or try to remove the rust? nothing is ever easy
Old 12-02-2009, 01:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turkeykiller365
so i have a stainless steel (supposedly) light bar. It somehow has some rust on it. u guys think i should try to paint it or try to remove the rust? nothing is ever easy
sandpaper and paint it.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
THey key with roo\\ftop lights is to mount them loose enough that under hard contact the just fold back out of the way..
Old 12-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
before you try and paint it, go to a store and buy some metal polish and SOS pads..
pour some metal polish on the rust and scrub on the rust.
if it comes off, you're golden.
if not, sand/paint.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jay351
THey key with roo\\ftop lights is to mount them loose enough that under hard contact the just fold back out of the way..
unless you have KC daylighters, which aren't mounted on a hinge like various other brands and utilize some sort of ball type mount.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 PM

I got a rusty roll bar from a buddy. I took it apart, sandblasted it, primed and painted it, then riveted it back together (how it was stock). It looks good, except I got to anxious and didn't put a second coat of paint. Now I'm stuck with a couple thin spots on my roll bar till spring.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by Stuwy123
I got a rusty roll bar from a buddy. I took it apart, sandblasted it, primed and painted it, then riveted it back together (how it was stock). It looks good, except I got to anxious and didn't put a second coat of paint. Now I'm stuck with a couple thin spots on my roll bar till spring.
I'm done flaming this thread... But here's a good idea for all u guys who rock the roll bars. if ur going through this much work why not weld them up, seal them up and use em for air tanks? Much stronger than rivets and with a few extra braces or gussets thrown in and some frame ties I'm sure they would function well in a hard rollover... most of these style picured would hold probably hold 5 to 10 gallons of air at least.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jimep
if ur going through this much work why not weld them up, seal them up and use em for air tanks?
Notice the lack of welding in my post?
Means I don't have access to a welder.

If I seal it up, how am I supposed to run wires for my lights for it?

I plan on having my roll bar welded properly (rivets suck) in the future. I wouldn't weld it to the frame. Makes my truck less versatile.
What happens if I need to put my topper back on? No dice with a roll bar welded in there.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:06 PM

I plan on having my roll bar welded properly (rivets suck) in the future. I wouldn't weld it to the frame. Makes my truck less versatile.
What happens if I need to put my topper back on? No dice with a roll bar welded in there.
i ran my wiring on the outside of the tubes. it was black so i hid it inbetween the two tubes....
Only because i got anxious and didnt think about it before i bolted it into the bed lol.

Last edited by peow130; 12-03-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:14 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by jimep
I'm done flaming this thread... But here's a good idea for all u guys who rock the roll bars. if ur going through this much work why not weld them up, seal them up and use em for air tanks? Much stronger than rivets and with a few extra braces or gussets thrown in and some frame ties I'm sure they would function well in a hard rollover... most of these style picured would hold probably hold 5 to 10 gallons of air at least.
Did all that, thanks!
My flatbed/rollbars hold roughly 8 gallons of air.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
Did all that, thanks!
My flatbed/rollbars hold roughly 8 gallons of air.
your truck is ****ing nice
Old 12-03-2009, 09:46 PM

U don't have to run the roll bar the whole way to the frame. Just run the frame ties up to the bottom of the bed and sandwich it together w/ bolts. U can even go one step further and tack the nuts to the bottom of the frame tie plates so it makes it a 1 person job pulling the rollbar out. and finding sombody with a welder shouldn't be too hard. I'd be willing to help u out but Alabama is a little far.... And as peow said just run the wires on the outside and say my rollbar is seving a better purpose than a wire cover.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:54 PM

edit

sorry, calgary Alberta Canada not Alabama. Had a gaseous cranial emmision.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by peow130
Only because i got anxious and didnt think about it before i bolted it into the bed lol.
Same here. I got anxious and I forgot to run the wires before re-assembling my roll bar and didn't lay down a second coat of paint.

I do plan on welding some nuts to a sandwhich plate, all a matter of time, young grasshopper.
I've got bigger fish and many more shrimp to fry before I get to fixing my roll bar.
The "fix-it" / "make-it-awesome" list for my truck is endless.

Quick Reply: I love roll bars (56k death)