Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

I just got "hitched"!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 07:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xfactor203
I think that may be the first time I've ever seen "wilderness" anything and a Bush / Cheney sticker on the same bumper. Long live the duality of man!
Can't say much other than the current administration is proposing stopping all fishing on publicly accesible waterways such as rivers, ponds, piers, ocean, etc.
Oh, the irony.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the comments. I haven't fixed the tail light/brake light problem yet, though. I don't really tow things often enough to remember to do it. I'm probably going to try to get something to fix that problem, now that I've been reminded of it.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Contributing Member

As for the stickers, I do enjoy the wilderness, and like to have access to them as much as possible. Although, since the picture was taken, I've removed the Bush/Cheney.

But the lights work great, and that's what counts!!!
Old 11-19-2009, 10:25 PM

lol. keep it reel.

(pun intended)
Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by abecedarian
Preferably marine grade heat shrink, or a small ball of butylated rubber wrapped around the splice and concealed within the shrink
Yep, I've got the shrinkwrap w/ glue sealer already in it. You just can't beat that stuff! Heat it up, the glue oozes into the connection, thus protecting it, and out each end rendering the connection 100% watertight. Really good stuff!

For those who'd rather not drop the coin on that type of wiring/crimping/sealing setup, you can always crimp, heat shrink, and seal the ends with brush on electric tape. It's a relatively low cost alternative that yields good results.

I still prefer my glue filled shrink wrap, though.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by shaeff
Yep, I've got the shrinkwrap w/ glue sealer already in it. You just can't beat that stuff! Heat it up, the glue oozes into the connection, thus protecting it, and out each end rendering the connection 100% watertight. Really good stuff!

For those who'd rather not drop the coin on that type of wiring/crimping/sealing setup, you can always crimp, heat shrink, and seal the ends with brush on electric tape. It's a relatively low cost alternative that yields good results.

Hmmm..... I might have to consider doing this, although the lights still work fine for me, and the quick connectors don't appear to be cutting through the wiring. Who knows, I might have some spare time one day, and decide to do it over again.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 PM

I still recommend sealing the connection with whatever method you prefer: friction tape, butylated rubber, brush on stuff, whichever... and then applying shrink over that.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truth. Those things are terrible, and will eventually cut away the wire (hence why many people call them vampire clips- the "teeth" in them constantly vibrate/cut away at your wires.

While soldering is likely a better solution than those scotchlocks as seen above, a proper crimp is better than soldering, however, it's expensive.

With a set of high quality crimping tools, and high quality crimp connectors (with heat shrink), the splice will last longer, and be more resistant to vibrations than even solder.
Can you show us the proper crimps?
Old 11-21-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you post the color code you use to install the harness. I need to do the same but would like to have the color code of the wires handy. thanks or a link to a DIY.
Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

all those really good sealing methods work good but how do you take them apart when you need to for what ever reason.

maybe to add or repair a wire .. will all these glues become liquid under a heat gun

Just curious because I seem to end up with a wiring nightmare that someone else has made

I would just as soon attach to the first splice then make a new one 2 inches away .

Most of the time I just get a new harness from toyota