Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

how/what should i paint my sliders

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 08:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm tellin you guys... that spray I bought will work really nice. You could definitely paint the bottom black, and use the spray for the top half. It will be a lot easier than working w/Herculiner.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:55 AM

metal prep is everything when comes to paint. if you have some tiny oil spots on the tubing, and i'm absolutely sure you have some, no of the paint will stay on. i have spray painted a Sonoran Steel IFS truss and a custom skid plate with Duplicolor spray-on bedliner directly on to the bare steel. touugh as hell.

any metal material, out of the factory, will have some dirt and oil resedue on the surface from the production process. they are impossible to clean up with a piece of rag no matter how hard to wipe it and they are hard to see with naked eyes. being in the printing business, i know it first hand. do a very simple test, get a strip of black eletrical tape, try to stick it on to the tubing, chances are you can peel it off very easily. here is what i did, wipe down the entire area where you need to paint with mineral alcohol, lots of it, to get rid of the excess dirt, and grease. use a propane torch to burn off the alcohol, Ace, Lowe's or Homedepot they all sell the some handheld propane torch. you will see the oil spots when the flame goes through. be patient, nice and slow. try the tape again, you will see the difference.

i met a fella at Pismo Beach this weekend who uses Duplicolor spray-on undercoating, the result is very very good, too.

Old 10-15-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
metal prep is everything when comes to paint. if you have some tiny oil spots on the tubing, and i'm absolutely sure you have some, no of the paint will stay on. i have spray painted a Sonoran Steel IFS truss and a custom skid plate with Duplicolor spray-on bedliner directly on to the bare steel. touugh as hell.

any metal material, out of the factory, will have some dirt and oil resedue on the surface from the production process. they are impossible to clean up with a piece of rag no matter how hard to wipe it and they are hard to see with naked eyes. being in the printing business, i know it first hand. do a very simple test, get a strip of black eletrical tape, try to stick it on to the tubing, chances are you can peel it off very easily. here is what i did, wipe down the entire area where you need to paint with mineral alcohol, lots of it, to get rid of the excess dirt, and grease. use a propane torch to burn off the alcohol, Ace, Lowe's or Homedepot they all sell the some handheld propane torch. you will see the oil spots when the flame goes through. be patient, nice and slow. try the tape again, you will see the difference.

i met a fella at Pismo Beach this weekend who uses Duplicolor spray-on undercoating, the result is very very good, too.

Yes Yes Yes
Old 10-15-2007, 12:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stormin94
I wonder if you could herculine the top of em, and paint the bottom, that way you could get non slip stepping surface, and your sliders would still slide.
that's what i was planning on doing

i prob should have used undercoat instead of the bumper paint but we'll see how it holds up. the duplicolor bedliner stuff is exactly what i got. i need to run by napa and get another can of paint but should have some pics up of the final look tomorrow.

thx again guys

Last edited by Tdubbs05; 10-15-2007 at 12:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:30 PM

I just put Herculiner on my sliders and rear bumper this weekend, looks great.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tdubbs05
that's what i was planning on doing

i prob should have used undercoat instead of the bumper paint but we'll see how it holds up. the duplicolor bedliner stuff is exactly what i got. i need to run by napa and get another can of paint but should have some pics up of the final look tomorrow.

thx again guys
You talking about undercoat as a primer ? or for your area you didn't do with the Bumper Paint ?

The undercoating is generally very soft and if you were to scrape it would easily be marred/removed so if you were going to use it as a primer then that would definately be bad and likewise if you used it on the area you didn't use the Herculiner then light scraping would tend to take it right off and you would be touching up much more .
Under coating is hence the name for under things -fender wells , floorboards etc.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Contributing Member

Yup. I sprayed this stuff on my fender wells last week. It is very soft and easy to get off. The can says sound deadening as well as rust protector. I got the cheap stuff.. It was $3.96/can @ Walmart.. ah yeah! Good ol Walmart. They have a lot more automotive stuff than you'd think. Cheap too!
Old 10-15-2007, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Yup. I sprayed this stuff on my fender wells last week. It is very soft and easy to get off. The can says sound deadening as well as rust protector. I got the cheap stuff.. It was $3.96/can @ Walmart.. ah yeah! Good ol Walmart. They have a lot more automotive stuff than you'd think. Cheap too!
After that foamier / fluffier stuff cure's a bit it gets a little tougher but not tough enough for brush and stuff all the time , I have used many cans of that mess , it works but you have to do multiple coats between some curing , if you do that on the inside of the door skins (without stopping up door water drains) and the floorboard it will make a noticable difference in noise
Old 10-15-2007, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

Oh yeah??? Nice. Thanks for tip.. you mean the spot where the door meets the fender right? On the inside.
Old 10-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Sound Deadening

Originally Posted by Djlarroc
Oh yeah??? Nice. Thanks for tip.. you mean the spot where the door meets the fender right? On the inside.
Not just there but pull your door panel and put 2-3 coats on the door skin (if possible , sometimes too much metal) , usually you can take door panel off and with window up you can spary the inside of the door skin itself , takes some patience but makes a big difference if you have a lot of noise (just make sure you find the water drain holes at bottom of door , usually 2-4 of them and keep them clear - don't want to stop them up.
Anything you need to cover up do that (electric motor , back side of speaker(should be in enclosureetc.)
Anything you get overspray on will come off with light oil or my favorite - Mineral Spirits hehe
The undercoating won't hurt any brackets or arms for windows etc but wouldn't want to get 3 coats on a window motor or the back of my speakers ( mine would be in enclosures )

Last edited by n4ynu1010; 10-15-2007 at 05:20 PM.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:05 PM

lets see some pictures!!!

i wanna see the finished product
Old 10-18-2007, 02:20 PM

Pics Pics Pics HEHE