Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How to prevent 3.0 issues?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 12:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How to prevent 3.0 issues?

Hey, looking for some advice, been shopping for a new (to me) 4Runner and heving given up on finding a 2nd gen with 22RE I've located a very clean '92 manual truck with the 3VZ-E engine. I'm a little wary as I've never heard anything good about this engine. The current owner got the truck from his uncle and when I asked about recall work he said maybe head gasket and water pump? But he was a bit vague. The truck has 310,000kms on it, but frame is rust free, interior as good as I've seen in a 2nd gen. I'm going to go test it tomorrow, and I'm tempted to buy, but I feel like I should find out if it's possible to prevent HG issues with this engine, or if it's just a matter of time.

I also read recently that it's possible to put a small block V8 in these trucks, and I'm wondering how do-able that actually is, and how much I'd be looking to pay for the conversion.

Thanks in advance for and advice.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:21 PM
RJR

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts
At 300,000 KM, there probably isn't much difference in the likelihood of HG issues between the 22re and the 3vze. Just read the forum for awhile and you'll see an almost equal number of 22re HG threads as 3vze, given hi mileage on either one. It's a case of the engine mechanicals outlasting the headgaskets at this point, which is a somewhat uniquely Toyota "problem".

The 22re is certainly easier/cheaper to work on, but that's about the only reason I'd buy one at 200,000 miles+, particularly if you're also looking for an automatic tranny. If you do go 3vze, check when the timing belt (and water pump) were last changed. Supposed to be done every 75,000 miles or so.

Most popular engine conversion is the 3.4 liter 5vze. More power, somewhat better mileage, presumably better reliability, although the only 4runner in my family (out of 5) to blow a HG is a '97 with the 3.4 liter engine. Go figure.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had my 91 4Runner since new (now has 250k km) and have never really understood all the negativity on the 3VZ-E. My head gaskets were done under warranty early on (before they had failed) and I have never had any other issues with the engine. I have always done oil/filter changes on time as well as all other recommended service (including timing belt). ​​​​​​Sure it's not as powerful as maybe we would like but it has good torque and never complains about the regular boat and trailer towing I do with it.

If it were my choice it would really depend on the overall condition of the truck. If things are clean and look well maintained it could be worth it (also depending on how much immediate cost there would be to fix things I didn't want to live with in the short term). If, on the other hand, it looks like there has been a lot of "deferred maintenance" the cost to catch up on a bunch of things that are feeling the strain of 300k of wear might be more than you want to deal with.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck!

JG
Old 02-25-2020, 05:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my 1993 3vze last June and love it! Came with CVs from Advance Auto and that's where I've purchased most of what was needed (or wanted). Yea a bit sluggish but thats a good thing for me and my poor driving history and speeding tickets If the one your looking at is clean and runs well with little oil leaks and rust it would be a great buy. I've put nearly 6500km since May 2019 with minimal maintenance.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:24 AM

Received 575 Likes on 453 Posts
Originally Posted by jgrant721
I've had my 91 4Runner since new (now has 250k km) and have never really understood all the negativity on the 3VZ-E....

I don't understand the negativity around the 3VZ-E either. Sure, it isn't a GM LS series V8 engine, but it was never meant to be. The 3VZ-E does make more power than the 22R or 22R-E, but doesn't get as good of fuel economy, as one would expect going from a 4 cylinder to a V6. The head gasket issue on these engines are often overstated. Yes, the 3VZ-E does tend to blow head gaskets more than other Toyota engines, but when repairs are done right, and maintenance has been kept up on, these engines are still pretty darn reliable.

Many people have asked what they can do to make the 3VZ-E better. In my opinion, if the engine is mechanically sound and does not need to be rebuilt, just doing maintenance when you are supposed to and taking care of problems you find early will do a lot to keep the 3VZ-E running well for a long time to come. Keeping the cooling system in tip-top shape will prevent the engine from overheating. Incidentally, the number one cause of head gasket failures on cast iron block / aluminum head engines (such as the 22R-E and 3VZ-E) is overheating the engine, and the different expansion rates of the metals will cause the gasket to not seal 100% any more. The worst spot for overheating the 3VZ-E is around cylinder #6, where the exhaust crossover pipe is quite close to the head.

Now, if you are to rebuild the 3VZ-E, I would go with either genuine Toyota head gaskets or upgrade to a high quality aftermarket Multi-Layer Steel (MLS) head gasket. The Multi-Layer Steel head gaskets tend to be more robust type of gasket and is of a newer design than when the 3VZ-E was new, and most new cars use Multi-Layer Steel type of head gasket now. While Multi-Layer Steel head gaskets seem to be the better choice of head gasket, they require precision machining of the head and block surfaces, or they won't seal. So, if one was to just replace head gaskets without removing the block to get machined, going with the Genuine Toyota head gaskets would be the better choice.

By they way, I am not really a fan of swapping a GM / Chevrolet engine into these 4Runners. To me, it defeats the purpose of getting one of these 4Runners in the first place. If one wanted to swap in a Gm / Chevrolet engine, they would be better off buying a GM / Chevrolet vehicle to begin with. That is just my opinion of course!

There are still many 3VZ-E engines running around doing just fine!

Last edited by old87yota; 02-25-2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Added more information
The following 3 users liked this post by old87yota:
5 Fists (02-25-2020), maxvp01 (02-25-2020), Woodmac64 (02-27-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 01:51 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by old87yota
The worst spot for overheating the 3VZ-E is around cylinder #6, where the exhaust crossover pipe is quite close to the head.
I agree with old87yota, the factory exhaust crossover causes heat problems around the back of the engine. That was one of the reasons I went with Doug Thorley headers on my '91. These along with the K&N filter, Magnaflow CAT and Walker Quietflow SS muffler also opens up the exhaust flow which helps the engine breath better and likely adds a bit of power.

JG