Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

How much our tranny's weigh?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
175 lbs of awkward weight with an even weirder CG

I used ratchet straps on the frame rails to to hold it up there. That worked well.

Forewarning you might have problems using the picker since your truck is so tall. PRobably need to hoist it up, put straps on the rails and under the tranny to hold it while you lower thepicker and shorten the strap (probably wont be able to get it up off the ground and into position without hitting your cab ceiling)

The big green jack in my previous post goes about 3ft in the air, hehe things a beast.. I used the picker to manuever the engine (makes lining up the input shaft on the tranny soooooooooooo much easier)
Old 09-04-2008, 09:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 86tuning
I'd put a single jackstand under the tranny to hold it up. If you can find a jackstand tall enough. Maybe a bar stool?

Seriously, a trans isn't that heavy with the xfer case removed. A 150# small guy can get those things in and out.
Wrong.....not a very smart idea!

HEy CLint, Do you have grab handles?

If so, those grab handles can support a 250-300 lb. person pulling themselves up into the truck. Each one can...actually...

Here is how I did mine SAFELY by myself with verrrrrry little work (purely because Im lazy)

Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Dirtoyboy. Hey Swampthing I've never seen your rig around, what part of town do you live in?
Old 09-04-2008, 09:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
That is a good way to do it DTB. If there are no grab handles, you can just go over the top of the cab, with a blanket in between to protect the paint.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtoyboy
HEy CLint, Do you have grab handles?

If so, those grab handles can support a 250-300 lb. person pulling themselves up into the truck. Each one can...actually...
Effing great idea! No handles though, but I think goin up and over the cab will work just honky dory.

So yeah, I'll be buying a tranny or tcase from you in all probability...

Originally Posted by Mic09dcsm
Nice Dirtoyboy. Hey Swampthing I've never seen your rig around, what part of town do you live in?
281 past 1604. But I get around, so you could have seen me just about anywhere lol. Just blare on the horn and get my attention.

Originally Posted by zlathim
That is a good way to do it DTB. If there are no grab handles, you can just go over the top of the cab, with a blanket in between to protect the paint.
Yeah, I'll probably do it that way.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used to go there more often. I have a friend who lives past Borgfield right on 281 so you may see me on a weekend out there. I live on Lockhill Selma a mile from Northstar and I get all around too. Just not always in my truck, in fact she's out of commission until I get an alignment and put on my front bumper again. So if a 94 black Camry honks at you it's me
Old 09-04-2008, 12:24 PM

Yeah, I'm off Evans and 281.

Haha, well I'll keep an eye out. But yeah, I drive my dodge most of the time, so if you see this truck driving, honk the horn or get my attention some way or another.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:46 PM

Ok, well I'm a little stumped. Anyone have a take on this?

Driving the truck on the road in 2hi or 4hi, it would make the rattling noise (no steering wheel shake, very very very little shifter shake) once I got over 45mph. The noise isn't too bad when I'm accelerating or decelerating in gear (compression braking), but if it's coasting in gear it makes the noise. Or if you coast with the tranny in neutral at 45mph or lower, it sounds like the 9th circle of hell has opened up under the truck and it's making racket for all it's worth. There is also some driveline vibration when accelerating all through 1st and 2nd gear.

I jacked up my rear axle with the tires still on. Ran the truck in 2hi 1st-5th gear. The horrible knocking bearing gone bad metallic scraping sound started around 45mph. Pretty much same sound as when driving it on the highway.

Putting the tcase in neutral and running it through the gears makes no noise.

Unhooking the drive shafts and going through the gears in 2hi and 4hi, the truck still makes no noise.

The ujoints are perfect, the flanges have no play, and the rear driveshaft looks straight as an arrow and it looks like all the weights are there.

Pulling out the rear third, I can't see anything wrong (other than what looks like a little rust on my brand new 529s. which is kind of concerning). Here's some pictures:

So does all that rule out anything rear axle or gear related? Should I start pulling out tranny and tcase? Should I go get a couple cases of beer?
Old 09-04-2008, 04:38 PM

Well I've got the ratchet strap ran across the roof. Little worried about it hitting on my steering wheel when I put some weight on it. How do you take the steering wheel off? No airbag

And it's been a while since I've dropped a tranny. Whats there, 8 tranny to block bolts (with those two hard as hell ones at the top), 8 cross member bolts, 1 for the starter, 2 for the slave, tcase speedo cable, 4wd light, reverse light, and that's it right?
Old 09-04-2008, 05:26 PM

Ah hah! Just beer-stormed an epiphany. I could probably use my atv jack! Just gotta find it...
Old 09-04-2008, 07:00 PM

That'll work.(ATV jack).

id be more worried about the straps slipping off the roof onto the windshield. rather than the stock steering wheel.... get a GT Grant steering, much more confortable...
Old 09-04-2008, 07:22 PM

Grrr... ATV jack looks like it'll work perfect, but it's still too short. Guess I'll go get some 6x6 blocks tomorrow...
Old 09-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Quick thought. If it makes noise with rear end jacked up and tires on, but it won't make the noise with the tires off, that pretty much rules out fubar'ed ujoints gears and motor/tranny mounts right? Seeing as how it seems that it requires a load to be on whatever's making the noise.

That sound about right, or am I loosing it?

Would the throw-out or input/output shaft gone kaput cause a noise with a load but not without a load? Grr....
Old 09-04-2008, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You have an ATV jack too. Jeez, maybe you can use that sawzall and that ATV jack, and fab up some sort of a dump bed on your rig.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:43 PM

Nah, gonna build a flatbed eventually. That next on my list after I get this whole problem fixed.
Old 09-04-2008, 11:45 PM

What I really need is my own welder, plasma cutter or oxy-acetylene torch, and pipe bender. That way I don't have to try and make it to my friends shop whenever I'm feeling creative
Old 09-05-2008, 06:40 AM

How odd.. I was _just_ in this same position last night. My 85 is way too tall even if I had a tranny jack, my regular floor jack wouldn't reach. I took the wheels off, sat the (front and rear) axles on the smallest 2-ton jack stands and still not short enough.

I ended up using a cherry picker thru the cab with ratchet straps around the tranny. I wasn't smart enough to pull the t-case first, so I had problems trying to swing the whole thing down over the x-member, so I ended up unbolting the x-member and dropping the whole thing to the ground. Worked like a champ.

I attempted using the floor jack with a 6x6 stud block on top and that worked ok, but it was still difficult to move the tranny back from the engine. The manuverability just sucked with the floor jack/block method. Once I gave up and switched over to the cherry picker, I was done in short order.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:18 PM

Ok, got the x-member off (ratchet strap holding it through the cab working great), all the tranny to block bolts off (those top two almost moved me to breaking out the sawsall... seriously...), and the slave off.

About to pull it out. BUT. I can't find the stupid alternator bolts.... Anyone got a pic? It's a real stupid problem to have, but with my right wrist in a cast, it's real hard to feel around up there. And my left hand just aint bend the way I need it to lol.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:02 PM

Blah, brain fart. Starter. I meant I can't feel where those stupid starter bolts are...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:07 PM

Hmm... Found this picture, but I still can't feel those bolts. Anyone know if the bolt that holds the slave hardline to the tranny/block is also one of the bolts that hold the starter in?

Cause that would make sense why I can't feel that bolt lol. And as far as the other one goes, maybe easier to get to it from the top? Grr, bout to cut off this dog gone cast...

Quick Reply: How much our tranny's weigh?