Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Horrible Noises, Horrible Smells Brought a tear to my eye and my heart dropped.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 91muddog
Could this have any long term effects on the engine?
Could stalling in general have any effects?
Is there anything it could have hurt?
Yep. Definitely. She'd be politely, but firmly... well, maybe I'd count this a "1".

You know... the old joke where the farmer is riding to town with the wife. The horse misbehaves... The farmer says: "That's one".
few minutes go by....
The horse misbehaves.... The farmer says: "That's two".
few minutes go by....
The horse misbehaves.... The farmer says: "That's Three!" With this he takes out a shotgun... kills the horse.

The wife turns to him.... she says: "Why would you do such a thing?".

The farmer says... "That's one!"
Old 06-13-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by razrwild
When teaching girlfriends to drive stick I've learned a couple things

1. explain in as much detail as possible
2. show them through demonstration
3. keep the drivers side door unlocked
4. smack their hand if they try to hold on while you push them out

3 & 4!
HAHHAHA
Old 06-13-2007, 04:47 PM
Contributing Member

nothing like a bit of levity for the day!! chickenlover, that was priceless!!

lee
Old 06-13-2007, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by rdharper
Yep. Definitely. She'd be politely, but firmly... well, maybe I'd count this a "1".

You know... the old joke where the farmer is riding to town with the wife. The horse misbehaves... The farmer says: "That's one".
few minutes go by....
The horse misbehaves.... The farmer says: "That's two".
few minutes go by....
The horse misbehaves.... The farmer says: "That's Three!" With this he takes out a shotgun... kills the horse.

The wife turns to him.... she says: "Why would you do such a thing?".

The farmer says... "That's one!"

My cousin and I were learning to drive a stick, with my dad's 85, i learned rather quick, but my cousin would Floor it and drop the clutch. Then look at my dad like,"was that bad?" It lasted a while after the cousin stopped driving it. But we had a new one put in just for giggles.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ChickenLover
WTF is wrong with you?

Here, you're gonna need these.

That's some funny crap right there!!!!! I agree, WTF is wrong with you?

vmax84
Old 06-13-2007, 04:52 PM

Thus goes to show..
Women do not belong behind shift knobs that control a vehicle that moves with all 4 tires.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2WDoffroadx
Thus goes to show..
Women do not belong behind shift knobs that control a vehicle that moves with all 4 tires.
I don't know 'bout that... plenty of woman are far better gear jammers then some of us will ever be... Uta Klienschmidt for instance and/or several of our gorgeous lady members... that being said there are some people of both sexes out there that should not be allowed to control a vehicle period let alone one with a manny tranny...
Old 06-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
^ agreed.

Did the gf say anything after that happend?
Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

Any 3-sigma female will be better than the average male... in a normal distribution... in most cases.

To make it personal, I was a lettered varsity swim team member. Lauren Beard beats my time in any distance. Although she may be closer to 6-sigma. But you get the point.

Last edited by rdharper; 06-14-2007 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by rdharper
Any 3-sigma female will be better than the average male... in a normal distribution... in most cases.

To make it personal, I was a lettered varsity swim team member. Lauren Beard beats my time in any distance. Although she may be closer to 6-sigma. But you get the point.
Pardon my ignorance but 3-Sigma? 6-Sigma? what does this mean? I know it is not a reference to a sorority (haha)... and why would they be superior to an "average" male?... who decides what is "average"?...
Personally I like to think that I'm smarter than the average teddy bear...
but I still am unfamiliar with the above term...
could you enlighten me please rd?
much grass Aviator
Old 06-14-2007, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by aviator
Pardon my ignorance but 3-Sigma? 6-Sigma? what does this mean? I know it is not a reference to a sorority (haha)... and why would they be superior to an "average" male?... who decides what is "average"?...
Personally I like to think that I'm smarter than the average teddy bear...
but I still am unfamiliar with the above term...
could you enlighten me please rd?
much grass Aviator
They are statistical terms. The only reason I know is that 6 sigma means 1 per 3.4 million or something like that. Not sure what 3 sigma translates to but basically he is saying that any female that is pretty much the best of her gender at something will be better than the average male at the same.... (Average in a statistical sense)

Last edited by mjwalfredo; 06-14-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Contributing Member

Thats why I hardly let my ex drive after i got my new clutch one she broke up with me soon after and 2 she was one of the reasons i needed a new clutch in the first place.

Did she at least show you how sorry she was that night i think you get the point
Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by mjwalfredo
They are statistical terms. The only reason I know is that 6 sigma means 1 per 3.4 million or something like that. Not sure what 3 sigma translates to but basically he is saying that any female that is pretty much the best of her gender at something will be better than the average male at the same.... (Average in a statistical sense)
Right... and a "normal" distribution is one shaped like a bell, where the center of the curve is the mean value.

3-Sigma is at right hand tail of the distribution, about 99.7%.
6-Sigma is a term you will often hear applied to manufacturing goals... world-wide.

These are useful concepts. Most people don't understand statistics, but there are lots of engineers on this site that will know the terms. And one does not have to be a whiz mathematician to grasp the basics of applied statistics in case engineering is not your field.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sigma is the symbol used for a standard deviaton
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

See section - Rules for normally distributed data

6 sigma = 99.99999980268%
3 sigma = 99.73002039367%
Old 06-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

thanks fredo, harper, ewong... I'm learnin' new stuff everyday... that wiki link reminded me of some stuff from high school math... so to look at the statistacal view any group of woman who are superlative at something will statistically be better at it than a similar group of men because there are generally less women doing that thing then men right?

Last edited by aviator; 06-14-2007 at 12:35 PM.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by aviator
thanks fredo, harper, ewong... I'm learnin' new stuff everyday... that wiki link reminded me of some stuff from high school math... so to look at the statistacal view any group of woman who are superlative at something will statistically be better at it than a similar group of men because there are generally less women doing that thing then men right?
I would not put it that way. If you take a sliver of the best of the women at any given thing, and compare that to the center distribution of men within the same area/sport/etc., the women will be generally competative, and probably better than the men of that group.

Whereas if you compare the best of the women against the best of the men... different story. Or the average from both groups. That would include almost anything where physical endurance is concerned, as well as many other fields where competition is involved on a level playing field.

This is a product of biology. Blame it on mother nature. Not PC today... but just a fact.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Major thread hijack going on!
Old 06-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by TNRabbit
Major thread hijack going on!
Well TN, you are right... although it was not intentional. Just playing off the original comments by the thread originator... about his girl friends abuse of his clutch. To that extent, all of the rest was relevant. (sort of)
Old 06-15-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

So we sort of hyjacked the thread... just a little... as harper noted it was(is) all relavent commentary... kinda... and definitely a learning opportunity for all here...

to comment on your other point harper so what you are saying is if you look at the "best" of the women (the right side of the bell curve right?) and compare them to "centre distribution" of men (the middle of the bell curve right?) the women would be better... is this not comparing apples and oranges so to speak?... of course the 90th percentile of women would be better than the 50th percentile of men... or am I still missing the point...
not that I'm complaining mind you I love all women in any case LOL haha

Last edited by aviator; 06-16-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:09 AM

haha.

She agreed not to try that one again, as she said "...that couldnt have been good......."

Sorry 1st Toyots, no pictures of her. I respect her and her privacy more than that, this doesnt need to turn into a discussion of how she looks. Im also very protective of her and wont put her in a potentialy dangerous position.(not that yt is dangerous, but it is VERY public)

rdharper, i lvoe that joke.

and i never thought this would lead to statistics.

Quick Reply: Horrible Noises, Horrible Smells Brought a tear to my eye and my heart dropped.