Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Hit a Deer in my 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 09:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
I went out and looked at it again a minute ago. I don't think it's the alignment. The right front has negative camber, but the only way to adjust camber is by the lower control arm mounting bolts, which obviously would not be affected. I have a feeling my wheel bearings shattered on the impact or something like that. And then that would make the wheel loose, and feel weird when rolling, sit still with negative camber, and toe whichever way.

OR I could be really screwed and the spindle could be bent or broken. And my new homemade bumper IS racked back about 3/4" on the impact side. I can probably fix that with a short strap, a tree, and reverse though. And possibly heat. But I'm pretty happy with the bumper. It saved me a grille, parking light, turn signal, probably hood and fender, and is repairable.
It wouldn't be the wheel bearing, if they were that week, they would shatter on speed bump. You suspension/ steering isn't meant for large impacts from the front of the tire. The bit the most vulnerable to frontal impact I would think would be the tie rod. Their pretty exposed. I could have a hard time believing the spindle bent, but hey, you never know.

Let us know what the problem is...for trivia if nothing else.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
I took that if you dont mind, i threw it in my sig
I'm flattered.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Skinsfan6
Or maybe if I could get under the deer like this guy I wouldn't suffer any damage..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WF0fRUqUsUs
lmao never did see that deer come down
Old 11-23-2008, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Elton
lmao never did see that deer come down
Kind of wonder if the driver ever even saw it. Looks to me like it went into the trees.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tubbyfatty
I took that if you dont mind, i threw it in my sig
how do you properly put those quotes in your sig?? You will notice in my sig I have to just write who said it
Old 11-23-2008, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Yotapowa
how do you properly put those quotes in your sig?? You will notice in my sig I have to just write who said it

You click QUOTE from the bottom right of the person-who-you-want-to-quote's box, the copy & paste the stuff that looks like this:

[QUOTE.=Yotapowa;50979861]how do you properly put those quotes in your sig?? You will notice in my sig I have to just write who said it[/QUOTE.]

Last edited by Matt16; 11-23-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Not surprising it cut the deer in half at all. Happens on motorcycles quite frequently.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:16 PM

Awesome, thanks. Hope you dont mind me quoting you skinsfan6
Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
It wouldn't be the wheel bearing, if they were that week, they would shatter on speed bump. You suspension/ steering isn't meant for large impacts from the front of the tire. The bit the most vulnerable to frontal impact I would think would be the tie rod. Their pretty exposed. I could have a hard time believing the spindle bent, but hey, you never know.

Let us know what the problem is...for trivia if nothing else.
I'm pretty sure the tie rod or some part of the steering linkage is bent, but how would that give me negative camber? I understand the toe out. I just don't understand where this negative camber is coming from. I jacked up that one wheel before school this morning and spun it. It turned over fine and didn't appear to be bent. The ball joints look fine and everything on the hub/spindle side appears to be fine. And I did notice some fender damage. There are two nice ripples behind the tire almost into the door. I don't know how that part of the fender got hit.

On my way to school I stopped and examined the site again. I found the rest of the deer. It turns out I just ripped the butt end off behind the rear legs. The bones were exposed and sticking out. I was pretty impressed. There are still incredible amounts of blood on the road, and you can see the tracks where I was forced almost into the ditch. The deer jumped out from the right and hit my right front fender. I found it's butt end about 20 feet past the hit in the ditch on the right. But the deer I found about 50 feet past where I hit it in the LEFT ditch. And it was completely turned around. It was laying on its side, head facing the road, with the side I didn't hit facing up. It's front left leg (the side I hit) was dangling by a thread of flesh where it meets the body.

I don't mind yotapowa...I feel so accomplished.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:57 AM

I'm perplexed... all I can think is that you bent the frame or a-arm. I'm no expert though, take it to the alignment shop.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:22 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
While were on the deer subject...
You sure the deer you hit didnt want revenge....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD5zjUbWpXY

Old 11-24-2008, 11:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wild guess, but I'm thinking that since you had a heavy-duty bumper, the frame ended up taking the brunt of the damage. You may want to take it to a body shop and have them check it for straightness.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by InternetRoadkill
Wild guess, but I'm thinking that since you had a heavy-duty bumper, the frame ended up taking the brunt of the damage. You may want to take it to a body shop and have them check it for straightness.
I know the frame is alright. You can see very obviously where the top tube of my bumper pushed back in relation the the trail gear winch mount it's welded to. I understand where you're coming from, but really the upper tube on my bumper only pushed the deer down into my tire. My tire took all of the hit.

Last edited by Skinsfan6; 11-25-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matt16
I'm perplexed... all I can think is that you bent the frame or a-arm. I'm no expert though, take it to the alignment shop.
I'm trying to stay away from shops right now. I'm not filing with the insurance, and I don't have much money to be spending on shop visits. And I'm going to go ahead and put on my 4" ifs lift before I get it realigned. So I'm trying to diagnose as much as I can myself.

I'm thinking that maybe the part of the lower or even upper a-arm that the ball joint attaches to may have been bent back and swung around a little (a few degrees), and that may be the cause of the camber issue. The toe out I'm sure is from my bent steering linkage. I have a buddy with a parts yota that I can get the linkage off of cheap or free.

And I bought my ifs lift used, and it came with the previous owner's lower a-arms and brackets already bolts together. I'll be using those instead of mine, so that may correct the camber problem. If not the a-arm ball joint mounts, I believe the spindle where the ball joints mount may be tweaked.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
a couple years back i was with my friends brother when we hit an elk, his truck was better about $5000 worth of repairs later.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 AM

any pic of the carnage?
Old 11-25-2008, 11:21 AM

A large-ish bird flew into my windshield last night. I was doing 100km/h (60mph). Didn't crack the glass or anything.

Funny part was that I was just thinking that I hadn't killed an animal all year when the bird kamakazied the windshield. I fish and I don't slow for small wildlife- so usually I rack up quite the butchers's bill, but this year, I didn't fish for "keepers" much and didn't run anything don't... until the bird.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:41 PM

Ha. Congratulations on your lack of damage. I have to borrow my dad's camera. He leaves for work when its dark and comes back when it's dark so I have to borrow it and take pictures tomorrow.

I looked at it more today and while it's hard to tell if anything is bent, I really think the lower a-arm balljoint mount got tweaked. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and put my lift on with my new used lower a-arms and see what happens.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:37 AM

What was the verdict on this? What was the damage which caused alignment problems?