Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

High idle won't kick down

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High idle won't kick down

I'm posting a new thread on this since it might be something different.

I was just now on my way home. When I got close to my house I decided to drive it real hard and see how it did. Well it pulled good. No issues at all. Then I slowed down to make a turn and it died. It was very hard to start and running rough. I though I blew it up. Kept dying on the way home and hard to start.

Got it home and it wouldn't start. I let it cool down for about 10 min. Still no start. So I used some starting fluid and it started. But now the high idle will not kick down. I got to looking at the butterfly and I couldn't move it by hand. So I gave it some WD-40 and it freed it up.

Now it's back to not starting with out starting fluid and the high idle will not kick down.

I took it for a ride and the idle is way high. Then finally the idle went down some but the truck died. Hard to start again. Got it home and managed to get it started but now back to high idle won't kick off.

Here's my other carb problem that may or may not be related.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f116...f-idle-302505/

Please advise.

Last edited by Quick Cal; 11-18-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 841 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Quick Cal
... I got to looking at the butterfly and I couldn't move it by hand. ...
If the throttle valve is stuck open, even a modest amount, you will not be able to start it.

Just take a look at the throttle linkage (I think you have to remove the air cleaner; I don't know much anymore about carbureted vehicles, now that this IS the 21st Century). It should move smoothly, and if it doesn't you'll need to find out why.
Old 11-18-2017, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scope103
If the throttle valve is stuck open, even a modest amount, you will not be able to start it.

Just take a look at the throttle linkage (I think you have to remove the air cleaner; I don't know much anymore about carbureted vehicles, now that this IS the 21st Century). It should move smoothly, and if it doesn't you'll need to find out why.
I see nothing bound up with the linkage. The butterfly on the right of the pic (with screwdriver in it) is the choke flap, right? This flap seems sticky. It was worse before I cleaned it. But I don't know if there's some other valve that would work this thing that maybe worked off vacuum so it's slow moving. Should this flap move very freely? If I open it the truck dies.

Also. Directly under where the screw driver is, is another butterfly. This thing will not budge. What is it. I tried moving all the linkages to different positions and it still will not move.
Attached Thumbnails High idle won't kick down-20171118_103616-1-.jpg