Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

HELP! Powder day and key wont turn!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ironroad9c1
you are the only other person besides me that knows that little fact of what WD stand for..lol works good for displacing water in connectors and distributors and removing stickers , but that is about it.
that's funny 'cause I've known that since before wikipedia. ...actually since about 82. damn I'm getting old.
and yeah, you get surprised looks when people are trying to remove old bumper stickers and stripes and can't get the glue off... then tell them to spray some wd-40 on it, let it set a bit and rub it off with a soft cloth.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe its a hint you need to stay in school and ski when you finish school and get a job. PB blaster is a lube, WD -40 isn't a penetrating oil or a lube.
gee thanks. 4 years of civil engineering (graduate in may 09) with 20hrs/week driving a bus and my time management skills are still poor enough that I need a guy on a tech forum to help me with scheduling. Can you get in touch with my girl friend and plan my weekend for me?

On a much less sarcastic and more important note, I appreciate all the help. I tried again for 15 minutes, jiggling the wheel, everything I could think of in terms of movement and timing of the key and nothing worked. I came back from class at 5, tried again and BOOM. first pop, she turned as if nothing had ever been wrong.

If I wasn't the only truck in my bldg I would swear I had been trying to start somone elses yota the whole time. THANKS FOR THE HELP BOYS!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by vermontoyota

On a much less sarcastic and more important note, I appreciate all the help. I tried again for 15 minutes, jiggling the wheel, everything I could think of in terms of movement and timing of the key and nothing worked. I came back from class at 5, tried again and BOOM. first pop, she turned as if nothing had ever been wrong.

If I wasn't the only truck in my bldg I would swear I had been trying to start somone elses yota the whole time. THANKS FOR THE HELP BOYS!
Well hope there's still some untracked powder for ya somewhere.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:06 PM

I caught a ride to the MT and skied 9-11:30 and had freshies every run
Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM

gee thanks. 4 years of civil engineering (graduate in may 09) with 20hrs/week driving a bus and my time management skills are still poor enough that I need a guy on a tech forum to help me with scheduling. Can you get in touch with my girl friend and plan my weekend for me?

Well you got all that schooling and can't figure out you need a new lock cyl, I'd ask for my money back from that school.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its def your wheel lock.. mine did that on the dolly one day... before i went wheeling.. just took me a little while and i got so pissed but i finally got her started..
Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had this problem when it got down to -40F and colder.
Heres what you need:
-1 to 2 BIC lighters.
-Old key, or at least a key you don't care about too much, but one that works with the truck
-Frozen ignition cylinder.

1) Take the plastic cover thingy off from around the cylinder
2) Heat the key with lighter until its hot to the touch.
3) Put key in ignition. Dont try to turn it yet.
4) Heat the cylinder itself. It may take a few minutes, especially when its -55F
5) Wiggle the key a little. Wiggle the steering wheel a little.
6) Turn the key and hope for the best

Also, some WD-40 will probably be better...but I didn't have any....

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 01-29-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:15 PM

Well you got all that schooling and can't figure out you need a new lock cyl, I'd ask for my money back from that school.
they must call it Gum Springs cause all y'all aint got no teeth
Old 01-29-2009, 04:19 PM

You are the one talking of skipping school and having poor trouble shooting skills,

Last edited by ironroad9c1; 01-29-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:47 PM

gee thanks. 4 years of civil engineering (graduate in may 09) with 20hrs/week driving a bus and my time management skills are still poor enough that I need a guy on a tech forum to help me with scheduling.
>snip<
Do you really think that's something you should be boasting: 4 years of engineering (couldn't make much difference being civil, mechanical, or... whatever) since you can't figure out how to turn the key?

Not trying to rude or the like, but c'mon... you've already had just about every suggestion you could get.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 PM

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed that.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by abecedarian
Do you really think that's something you should be boasting: 4 years of engineering (couldn't make much difference being civil, mechanical, or... whatever) since you can't figure out how to turn the key?

Not trying to rude or the like, but c'mon... you've already had just about every suggestion you could get.
Boasting? LOL. I posted with a question about a stuck steering column that freed up on its own. While I appreciated all the help, none of those 'suggestions' did anything. Most of you guys are great- yotatech is the go to spot for intelligent proven advice. But the key turned because the wheel freed up on its own, maybe cause it hit 20F somewhere around 4pm when I tried the third time. Maybe cause, even though the column was locked tight, i jerked it just right. Not cause you clued me into anything i didn't know.

I was responding to fact that ironroad thought I might need a father figure in my life to tell me whether to go to class or to ski. While I AM proud of the fact that after 4 years of putting myself through school, I'm still here and looking like I'll make it through, I wasn't boasting SH#T, I was just clueing your boy into the fact that while I may need help starting my truck, I can manage my time just fine.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So did you figure it out or what? I have been watching all day, curious.

EDIT: sorry just read it worked. I stop reading when I see a pissing contest starting. Glad it was just a freeze issue.

Last edited by stagger_lee; 01-29-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:12 PM

Glad you're on your way and all that. For future reference, if it's a copied key, you'll probably see this occur again. To lessen the probability, don't use any sort of liquid, lubricant or otherwise. Get yourself some powdered graphite.
Old 01-30-2009, 04:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow this thread turned ugly quick. Glad you were able to get your rig started.

Ironic side note: I am a civil engineering Prof at UConn and know most of the Civil profs at UVM. For the record I have to say skipping school for Skiing . But in reality I bet the Prof sent a grad student to teach the course while they were out on the slopes. Gotta love Vermont. Ski first work second, not a bad way to live.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:11 AM

Well I will tell you Now in a nice way, your ign cyl is more than likely fill of shavings , from years of sliding a key in and out , that combined with a worn key will do that everytime, there shouldn't be any Ice in the ign cyl , unless you have a really bad mositure problem in your truck, which I'm sure you don't so pick up a new ign cyl and it will never happen again.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 AM

cool thanks I appreciate it
Old 01-30-2009, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

What's involved with replacing the ign cyl? Can you keep the same key? My 95 Taurus needs one bad.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
What's involved with replacing the ign cyl? Can you keep the same key? My 95 Taurus needs one bad.
your taus is gonna be diffent than the toyotas, and unless you have a locksmith rekey the cyl you can't use the old key. for the best anyway , its prolly worn out. your ford have a seperate key for the doors?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

your taus is gonna be diffent than the toyotas, and unless you have a locksmith rekey the cyl you can't use the old key. for the best anyway , its prolly worn out. your ford have a seperate key for the doors?
You know I'm not positive, I always use the keyless entry LOL. It does have a seperate key for the trunk.

Quick Reply: HELP! Powder day and key wont turn!