Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Help me diagnose engine whine (with videos)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2021, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me diagnose engine whine (with videos)

Hi all,

I recently joined the forum because I'm trying to fix up my truck. It's been off the road for a few years, so I'm working my way through some basic repairs to make sure it's not going to leave me stranded somewhere. It is a 1986 4Runner with a 22RE and no air-conditioning.

The reason for my post today is that I've noticed a high-pitched whining sound (sort of like a turbo) coming from my engine that changes in pitch with RPMs. Some research lead me to believe it could be my drive belts, so I went ahead and replaced both belts but this didn't fix the sound. My second idea was to replace the idler pulley bearing for my power-steering belt as those can apparently go bad and make a whining sound. This didn't fix the problem either. Frustrated, I decided to remove the belt entirely and the whining sound went away.

Without belt: https://streamable.com/3rupp7
With belt: https://streamable.com/n3cwu0

This seems to indicate to me that the cause of the sound is the power steering pump. However, I have no issues with my power-steering. The wheels turn fine, and the pitch of the whine doesn't change when I crank the wheel. I've checked my power steering fluid and despite being quite old (it's been uh... 8 years since I got the truck and haven't flushed or replaced it) the colour of the fluid appears fine. The truck saw no use in the last three years, and light summer use in the years before that.

I wanted to check with you guys before I start making plans to pull the power-steering pump and figuring out repair or replacement parts. If you could check out the videos, and give your opinion about what the sound might be I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers.
Old 08-06-2021, 05:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
First these power steering pumps use ATF Dexron II or the newer upgrades. Since I have two cases and only use it on The power steering system I really have not been paying attention to ATF

Before changing the power steering pump i would change the fluid.

I would rather a original pump making noise then some of the rebuilds and new pumps of dubious quality

Like any mechanical device they don`t like to sit unused.

You have some work ahead of you A labor of love!! remember no matter the maintenance mechanical and electrical devices do fail most often in the worse place so always plan accordingly .

Good Luck!
Old 08-06-2021, 02:17 PM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
I don't know if ATF absorbs water from the atmosphere the way brake fluid does, but after that long, I would change it. Can't hurt, as long as you use ATF, not power steering fluid. Believe me, PS fluid eats seals, and hoses. Not that *I* used PS fluid <ahem> (much)...

Speaking of, I would absolutely change the brake fluid before driving it. After sitting that long, the brake fluid can't be in very good shape at all. Use a turkey baster to empty the brake master cylinder, mostly. Leave a little in to keep air out of the piston. Add fresh, clean fluid to the full line, and start bleeding the brakes. Keep adding fresh fluid to the MC as needed. Don't forget the LSPV! Many don't even know it exists, so keep it in mind. It gets done last. Bleed each brake until the fluid comes out fresh and clean. No air, too, obviously

I would also drain, flush, and replace the coolant. Always use the Toyota Red coolant, NOT the generic green stuff. Use a decent, commercially available flush solution, and distilled water. After sitting so long, you may well need to replace the radiator. Easy to check. Take the cap off, and LOOK down inside and see if the down tubes you can see are clogged up, even partially. If they are, definitely replace it. The water hoses, including the small ones under the throttle body. At least reach in there and feel them to be sure they're not squishy. If they are, they should get replaced ASAP, so they don't leave you stranded some place.

Personally, I would also replace the engine oil, and filter. Use a Toyota filter. Independent tests seem to show they are one of the very best out there. The transmission oil and differential's oil as well.

All the usual stuff, too. Plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, etc.

Good luck to you!
Pat☺
The following users liked this post:
wyoming9 (08-06-2021)
Old 08-07-2021, 09:03 AM

The current fluid in the power-steering reservoir is a honey gold colour and sure looks a lot like power-steering fluid. I double-checked the FSM and it does indeed call for ATF/Dexron II. Can't believe I've had this truck for as long as I have and not realized the power-steering system has been filled with the wrong fluid this whole time. What are the long term consequences of using the wrong type of fluid?

I'm going to flush out the power-steering system and replace it with the right fluid. Hopefully this quiets things down. Will update later today with the results.
Old 08-07-2021, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2ToyGuy
I don't know if ATF absorbs water from the atmosphere the way brake fluid does, but after that long, I would change it. Can't hurt, as long as you use ATF, not power steering fluid. Believe me, PS fluid eats seals, and hoses. Not that *I* used PS fluid <ahem> (much)...

Speaking of, I would absolutely change the brake fluid before driving it. After sitting that long, the brake fluid can't be in very good shape at all. Use a turkey baster to empty the brake master cylinder, mostly. Leave a little in to keep air out of the piston. Add fresh, clean fluid to the full line, and start bleeding the brakes. Keep adding fresh fluid to the MC as needed. Don't forget the LSPV! Many don't even know it exists, so keep it in mind. It gets done last. Bleed each brake until the fluid comes out fresh and clean. No air, too, obviously

I would also drain, flush, and replace the coolant. Always use the Toyota Red coolant, NOT the generic green stuff. Use a decent, commercially available flush solution, and distilled water. After sitting so long, you may well need to replace the radiator. Easy to check. Take the cap off, and LOOK down inside and see if the down tubes you can see are clogged up, even partially. If they are, definitely replace it. The water hoses, including the small ones under the throttle body. At least reach in there and feel them to be sure they're not squishy. If they are, they should get replaced ASAP, so they don't leave you stranded some place.

Personally, I would also replace the engine oil, and filter. Use a Toyota filter. Independent tests seem to show they are one of the very best out there. The transmission oil and differential's oil as well.

All the usual stuff, too. Plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, etc.

Good luck to you!
Pat☺
Thanks for your reply Pat.

I've realized that the power-steering system has been full of PS fluid this whole time. So that's a little concerning. I'm going to flush it out and replace it with the right stuff.

I replaced the oil and checked the fluids before I started it up but it could definitely use a good flush.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:45 AM

Received 647 Likes on 522 Posts
Especially the coolant and brake fluid. Those two can really mess things up if they're bad.
Good luck!
Pat☺